is this amp too loud to be used at home, theMarshall DSL 401?

I like the tone, It's not too big, reviews are good, but having only tried it in a sound proof booth I am not sure if it is going to be too loud for home jamming
If you want to get that saturated tone, you're gonna have to crank it, and it's gonna be really freakin loud .

Buy it for gigging and get a valve junior/zvex nano for home use .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
an amp is never too loud, practice loud and proud. and yeah im sure it has a volume knob so just turn it lower thats all.
Yeah it's really quiet when you have the volume right down.. don't worry about it
An attenuator would be great but maybe a little expensive for what you need it for, honestly amps such as yours dont sound garbage turned down, and yeah you wont get full saturation at low levels but thats what makes it so much sweeter when you do get the chance to fully let it loose
Diezel, Motherfucker
Turn the volume down, or buy an attenuator.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Yeah thanks, with the attenuator, is it easy to connect to a conbo cos it only has a short lead on the back. Also I saw a thread where someone mentioned something called omnisonic, I looked and it was a small resistor box this guy sold on ebay. Does anyone know if they will do as a good a job cos these mass ones seems expensive
The easiest thing to do would be to get a good overdrive pedal like an Ibanez Tubescreamer and when the amp is quiet just turn the pedals drive up so you get that crunch you would get on high volumes. Its not as good but it still works pretty well.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind
i've had my eye on the mesa boogie line, my price range is under $600.

Quote by batman123
maybe you could buy a picture of one for 600, and just pretend for awhile...

As long as it has a preamp volume and a master volume, it'll be fine. It's not like tube amps sound shite at low volumes, it's just that they sound better at higher volumes. Really, any good tube amp will sound alot better at the same low volume as a good SS amp, but it only gets better when u turn up the volume, where as the SS will sound more harsh.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Thanks, but is it that if I am not really cranking it that often I am better off with a solid state, I am in the process of getting rid of my marshall avt at the moment cos I hate the clean and the distortion is rough.

I liked the crunch of the dsl, oh am I making a mistake
^ i wouldn't go that far...most people would say even at low volumes a dsl sounds a lot better than an avt... but it's true that it won't sound its best- and some amps are designed to be cranked, which is why the pre-amp gain can be a little weak.

do you gig at all? what type of tones are you after? what's your guitar (inc. what pickups), and do you have any pedals?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just a quick question (sorry to hijak the thread!) but if you take a speaker and cut off the cone bit so it doesn't make a noise will it still be electrically operational?
Ok, well I have two guitars, one is a fender strat with texas special pickups, the other is a prs se singlecut with single coils. I also have a marshal guv'nor pedal and a cry baby

I play some indie, classic rock (ZEP or ACDC) metal (Motley Crue, Metallica, megadeth etc), and starting on some blues.

I sometimes jam with friends, but mainly home practice. Been playing for a few years. I tried the dsl out ages back and always thought that was the one for me, but now I have been looking around at the valveking and the laney lc30.
If you want more distortion just use the gain knob on the amp to distort the preamp tubes, Just ignore the volume for a while, when cranking the amps volume the power tubes will distort and usually when the power tubes distort enough their microphonics increase so it will pick up noise and stuff like the TV or Radio signals.
for the prs, is that p90's?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am not sure, its just the ones that came with it as standard, its one of the se series ones not the american built guitars
^ probably p90's. Humbuckers would be better for the heavier stuff, but p90's are better than fendery singles for that type of stuff... generally.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is what it says on the PRS website

"PRS designed treble and bass humbucking pickups"

Anyways, do you have any potential amp suggestions that I could go out and try. I would love a genz benz, but can't find anywhere that stocks them
^ ah, you have 'buckers then. you're good to go.

there's a dealer list for genz benz on the distributor's website... hang on till I get it for you:

http://www.sutherlandtrading.com/genzbenz_dealers.asp

hopefully there's somewhere close, though there aren't all that many. I was shocked that there was one about 20 miles from me, lol- of course, needless to say i found that out AFTER i got my engl, lol. I'd still have taken the engl, but the GB was about the next closest (or maybe that brunetti xlr-evo, but again a local shop only got that in about 6 months after I got my engl). Would have made it a harder decision at any rate...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ there's a good chance the genz is too, then- it's dearer than a screamer combo, unless you can find one second hand.

laney tt combo might be a decent half-way house, but you are still talking close to £700...

garg.

laney gh50l and framus 2x12? that'd be closer to £600... or peavey windsor with the same 2x12... closer to £500.

Dunno... to be honest, I just wasn't all that impressed with the 401's low volume tones.

EDIT: or you could wait till the 15 watt windsor combo comes out. might be a while, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ they're talking more about the lc and vc series, I think.

It depends what you mean for metal, but assuming the tt combo sounds the same as the head (i've only tried the head), it should be fine, at least for 80's thrash and shred and that type of stuff. It has more gain than a dsl, that's for sure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I don't play death metal or anything like that, wish I could but my ability is questionable when it comes to really ripping it up or playing mega fast.