Hokay, so I just got a new axe, thus enabling me to start modding the shit out of my old GK Strat knockoff.

So, I've got the body almost entirely sanded down. There are a couple of spots I havn't finished yet.

Now here are my plans.

- Paint the edges of the body white
- Get a white sheet
- Tye-dye said sheet
- Do a material finish with said sheet
Then,
- Possibly paint the neck white?
- New tuners
- New bridge
- Shield pickup cavity
- New nut
- Strap locks
- Possibly new pickups

So who thinks I should do the neck white as well? And i was thinking of doing the pickguard tye-dye as well. Yea or nay?
You are willing to spend way too much money on a piece of shit sir. I could be wrong but those GK are made out of plywood or some cheap stuff for sure.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
dont do the neck white, and i wouldnt go for tye dye, every ones doing it. Get some stencils and do something really origional.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by forsaknazrael
^Hm...Maybe.

TS, Care to show the neck pocket at different angles? Also the cavities?
Personally, I'd sand down the finish in the pickup cavities. It's pretty thick in there. Me no like finish in the cavities.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
dont do the neck white, and i wouldnt go for tye dye, every ones doing it. Get some stencils and do something really origional.

I was planning on going for the tye-dye because it's pretty easy and this is my first project. Plus I can also dye a bunch of other shit too.
At least it's not plywood.

Do the finish, have any ideas how it's going to look like when done?

And for the neck question, i wouldn't paint it white. It would be cool with a white neck and guitar if it was a set-neck or neck-thru, but not bolt on.
Last edited by m_hedborg at Mar 12, 2007,
Quote by Ibzman
You are willing to spend way too much money on a piece of shit sir. I could be wrong but those GK are made out of plywood or some cheap stuff for sure.

You can see that it's not plywood from the origional pictures that the threadstarter posted. If you look at the elbow and belly countours, you can see that the guitar is made of solid wood.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
therefore he should do a tie-dye finish, because it's cool.

GFS is a good place to get all the stuff, besides the neck, which you have. I'd take those $15 dollars ones from guitarfetish.com. They are really excellent.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
or you could be really unique and leave it how it is and put it back together unfinished. that's probably what i'd do.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
^agreed with, and i love those light blonde strats. White also.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by brandenetc
Nice Toe!

Thanks.
Actually, that toe is messed up on the inside... I have a bruised bone I think. It's been that way for like, almost two years now. I haven't been very active over this winter, though, so hopefully it's finally healed up. I'll just have to wait until the snow melts and I can skateboard again to find out.

Quote by woodenbandman
I'd take those $15 dollars ones from guitarfetish.com. They are really excellent.

Your referring to these I take it?

I was considering just doing a natural finish, but I'd rather have something that'll really stand out.
What I was thinking of was, make sure there are a lot or white edges on the sheet after I dye it, and match up the white to the edges of the body, so it'll be kinda like a reverse burst.

Should I leave the pickguard white, or tye-dye it too?
I finally did something.

I'm not doing the tie-dye because I'm lazy and broke.
Right now my guitar and neck are hanging in the garage drying. I've painted them both white. The first clear coat is hardening now.

With my next pay in two weeks, I'm ordering new pups, a bridge, electronics and a set of knobs. Maybe tuners and a pickguard too.

Pics later.
Picture time.

I'm now referring to this as my punk guitar, because it's actually still pretty beat up looking.

I gave it about three coats each of primer and clearcoat. The finish is actually quite smooth, which you might now think just from seeing it. It's a very matte finish, and there are some imperfections and a couple places where the paint got dinged somehow already. And there is a bunch of imperfections on the headstock, because of the wire I used to hang it.

The pickguard is all beat up and crappy looking, adding to the punk-ass look.

All in all I think it looks pretty good for a first time job. Once I get the new parts in a couple weeks, this thing will play excellently.

I think it's gonna need a new nut too.

Now on to the pics!

Quote by XibanezedgeX
ehh kinda boring IMO. i would of done a tye-die (its not expensive) and then do a burst paint job on the edge (in white) to hide the edge of the fabric.

That's exactly what I was gonna do.

But I have no money left, and I need to save a good portion of my next cheque.
The next money I spend on this guitar is for hardware upgrades.