i was wondering if anyone can give me some good "discussion question" suggestions on individualism in society. basically i'm reading ralph emerson's "self reliance" and have to come up with a discussion question, but i can't seem to come up with something good. thanks
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Quote by insideac
If everyone wants to be an individual, they will all become the same again. see: emo, scene

That's a pretty close minded argument, most scene kids don't believe that they're individual. But I see your point.

I believe that to be TRULY individual, you would be a social outcast, or something .
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I say a case study of Art 'stewdents' for this. The large proportion of the ones I know like nothing more than to rant about their individuality [or lack thereof].
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by Welsh Guitar
That's a pretty close minded argument, most scene kids don't believe that they're individual. But I see your point.

I believe that to be TRULY individual, you would be a social outcast, or something .

I dunno, but it seems that alot of the scenesters and such all have stickers and patches and crap defending their "individuality", and stuff. If they were true individuals, you would not be able to clump them into a clear description:

Vans slip ons
Vans shoes with the tongue out
Studded belts
Tight girl pants or high pants
small black t shirts
small colorful shirts
Lots of patches
Girls wearing small shirts, vans slip ons, furry boots, arm warmers, skirts with leggings, black and pink, and a belt OVER their pants and shirts.
Quote by insideac
I dunno, but it seems that alot of the scenesters and such all have stickers and patches and crap defending their "individuality", and stuff. If they were true individuals, you would not be able to clump them into a clear description:

Vans slip ons
Vans shoes with the tongue out
Studded belts
Tight girl pants or high pants
small black t shirts
small colorful shirts
Lots of patches
Girls wearing small shirts, vans slip ons, furry boots, arm warmers, skirts with leggings, black and pink, and a belt OVER their pants and shirts.

Yeah, most who claim to be individual are idiots, making a complete fool of themselves to try and be different.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
You could ask the question, does modern society encourage or discourage individualism?
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by GreenDayChris
You could ask the question, does modern society encourage or discourage individualism?

Or to what extent does individualism encourage modern society?
Terms and Conditions apply.
i get refered to as individual, weird, not like anyone else......i really dont see why
my own friends are often amazed at the way i am around people, i do my utmost to be cool with everyone but i dont bullshit either.

plus i get told i dress weird and i say "look at the punk and emo kids" their answer is something to the effect of "yea but theres alot of them and only one of you"

idk, i guess it comes from really being into what you do (guitar for me) and still wanting to be accepted be people, you know?
Quote by cagnius
Or to what extent does individualism encourage modern society?

seems like a pretty good question, including GreenDayChris' question. i'm sorry but i was wondering what are some possible answers to this question? i'm not really good at discussions so i was wondering if you guys can help me out. thanks
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster