hey guys, my younger brother was changing the strings on his bolt-on sx les paul copy.. i was helping him with it. after i removed the low e and a strings, the neck of the guitar basically detached itself from the body.. it was loose and only the other 4 strings was holding it..

after i removed all the strings, the neck basically came out of the body.. i tried to fix the neck back by tightening the screw on the body to the neck but the neck juz keeps falling off. i guess, it's because the screw holes are too big for the screws. the screws can't hold the neck..

so what can i do to attach the neck back to the body? any way of making the screw holes smaller and tighter? i really need help with this guys.. thanks..

i have attached some pictures for u guys to look at it!

fill the screw holes with wood filler. then use wood glue to join the neck and body, and then put the screws back in. i hope that works for you, man thats a bummer.
well, there's something wrong with the guitar anyway, but you should never remove all the strings at the same time . . . .
To be honest my friend, id take it to a proffesional. It'll cost u a little bit, but if u love guitar that much, it wont bother u. Peace Out n Pauly Vengeance.
yeah, it's a problem. ur neck is being eaten away there. sub par wood.

start saving for a new guitar.
in the meantime, go to the hardware store.
you can buy wood dowels, to fill the holes, tapped and glued in, then redrill for the existing screws.
or less stable would be to get an epoxy, wood filler and bring the screws, i would even say try larger screws at this point. something to grab the wood.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^well most of the time it is ok to take all the strings off.

this neck was falling off eventaully anyway. a little work might get it to play for u longer, but like i said, it;s not something that looks promising.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

The only problem being (even if u do manage to get the neck back on) is that the tone will be dulled, it wont sound the same as it used to.
ok but it's a starter paul. not worth the high price of a luthier. and most likely wasnt that stellar to begin wt.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

okay... well this guitar wasn't a good guitar after all.. the action was so high it was freakin hard to play.. i think i'll ask my bro to get a new guitar.. have u guys heard of craftman guitar? they have a prs copy which my brother seems to be crazy about.. any inputs about craftman?
maybe not. sounds a little like another knock off.
if u have a link that would be good.

but really, ur looking for a guitar made of a good wood.
mahogany 2 humbucker guitar or maybe an alder or basswood guitar if u mix in single coil pickups.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
maybe not. sounds a little like another knock off.
if u have a link that would be good.

but really, ur looking for a guitar made of a good wood.
mahogany 2 humbucker guitar or maybe an alder or basswood guitar if u mix in single coil pickups.

alright.. wat guitar do u use? im trying to get a good budget guitar for my bro.. he's just an amateur.. lol
well as far as starters go, maybe u can give me a budget and style he plays.

i have a closet full of guitars at this point. but i can help u find a starter that will hold up a little better for his use.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

he plays mostly rock to metal.. and all rounder guitar like a les paul would be good..
well there are a few choices.

you can check out agile guitars. they have some nice starters.
agile not sx...
http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar-ss4.html

dean has a couple of good starters. and so does yamaha. let me find some links.

these are all going to be a couple hundred dollars. if that's still too much, we can look at a $100 dean evo. basswood guitar. but again it's a real beginner.

yamaha
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-AES420-Single-Cutaway-Electric-Guitar?sku=519036&src=3WBZ4DS
ibanez
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GAX70-Electric-Guitar?sku=519404
dean evo $100
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Evo-XM-Electric-Guitar?sku=519795
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 12, 2007,
Just use wood filler and screw it into that. It's not the neatest job in the world but you're not repairing a '63 Stratocaster so I wouldn't worry too much
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
once i fill the holes with wood filler, and leave it to dry for a day, do i need to re-drill or juz screw the screws back into the holes filled with filler?
depends on the type of filler and how much u use. but ull have to put ur elbow into it for sure.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

First off use epoxy based filler it will set up much harder and has bonding characteristics unlike other fillers. Fill the holes, be sure to get it down into the holes. I would work it in with a small piece of wire or the like. Let it set at least over night. Sand the filler down flush with the neck. Drill small pilot holes for the screws and rescrew it on. By small I mean slightly smaller (1/64" to 1/32", just eye it is won't be too hard to figure out) smaller than the shank of the screw.

Shank is the part inside the threads.

<||>
<||>
<||>
<||>

<> = threads
|| = shank
Maybe your "brother" was playing to hardly and just swinged or carried the guitar by the neck for a while and that cause the neck to move in the pocket and that made the screws "sand" in the holes and later on fall of.

Mmm what you can do is fill the holes with something like epoxy , or wood filler and make new holes.
Quote by Immortal_Hero
First off use epoxy based filler it will set up much harder and has bonding characteristics unlike other fillers. Fill the holes, be sure to get it down into the holes. I would work it in with a small piece of wire or the like. Let it set at least over night. Sand the filler down flush with the neck. Drill small pilot holes for the screws and rescrew it on. By small I mean slightly smaller (1/64" to 1/32", just eye it is won't be too hard to figure out) smaller than the shank of the screw.

Shank is the part inside the threads.

<||>
<||>
<||>
<||>

<> = threads
|| = shank

alright... can i use an electric driller to drill the new holes? i'll make tiny holes which aren't too deep so that the screws will screw with ease..
Yes use an electric drill. I would hold the bit to the edge of the neck and judge the depth you want then put a piece of masking tape around the bit at that depth to use a a guide. This will ensure you do not drill all the way through the neck. Don't make the holes too small or you could split the neck.
Quote by Guitargod12345
The hole that the screws are in are stripped. Put some Toothpicks in the holes and tighten the screws.

toothpicks?
Quote by Immortal_Hero
Yes use an electric drill. I would hold the bit to the edge of the neck and judge the depth you want then put a piece of masking tape around the bit at that depth to use a a guide. This will ensure you do not drill all the way through the neck. Don't make the holes too small or you could split the neck.

alright.. i'll do just that. u sound like a pro.. i bet u are
Quote by theyson
toothpicks?

Yeah they give the screws something to grip on.

They reason is the toothpicks will be pressed on by the threads on the screw and will fit very tightly in the screw holes.
Quote by theyson
alright.. i'll do just that. u sound like a pro.. i bet u are

Have a lot of wood working expirence, can't play guitar worth a shiznat tho, yet anyway.

Also be sure to apply plenty of downward pressure when installing the screws. They will not go into the filler as easy as wood as the filler has no grain. IE push pretty hard on top of your screw driver while twisting it.
Last edited by Immortal_Hero at Mar 12, 2007,
anyways i'll do all that later.. its 3am here in malaysia and all the shops are closed.. i will get back to this thread if i hit a dead end!

alright!! i'll push hard.. lol.. thanks man... keep checking this thread.. i might need help!!
wat kind of sand paper should i use to level it with the neck? coarse or fine?
Wood filler is not a good idea in this application, food filler is made to fill dens/crevasses in wood, not for structural purposes. If you use it i'd put money of the same problem happening again.

A good fix it to fill the the holes with dowels and redrill as said earlier by jj1516
Quote by dave293
Wood filler is not a good idea in this application, food filler is made to fill dens/crevasses in wood, not for structural purposes. If you use it i'd put money of the same problem happening again.

A good fix it to fill the the holes with dowels and redrill as said earlier by jj1516

too late bro.. i have already filled it with filler...
If he used regular old wood filler your point is valid. If he used epoxy based wood filler it is going to bond better than any glue you are goiong to glue dowels in with and be a hell of a lot harder.
it's a starter. which is why i didnt jump back in after your post.
but filling a wood dowel is always preferred method on fine guitars. even over epoxy.

i just hope he read the posts correctly. the epoxy was for the holes, filler was for the cosmetic chips.

worst case the screws become loose again, and he'll have to go back to the hardware store.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

chunk them up with an enormous amount of super glue! and stick the neck of ur guitar! hehehehehehe..
My gear:

Ibanez RGR320EX
BOSS DS1 MODDED
BEHRINGER DD100
CHORUS
EQ

LINE 6 SPIDER III 75 WATTS
^sorry, i think ur joking. but super glue will just dry and crack off.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
it's a starter. which is why i didnt jump back in after your post.
but filling a wood dowel is always preferred method on fine guitars. even over epoxy.

Very aware of that but is also a lot harder for someone who has never done any wood working. You really need a dill press and forstener (sp?) bit to do it correctly and most people don't have those laying around. Besides it isn't like it is a high end guitar.
^yeah, i know i put both methods down. i said that in response to u telling dave that epoxy holds better than a glued in wood dowel.
if u said anything wrong i would have jumped in is all i meant.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62