I recently played the V16 Crate Palomino and I must say it kicked major ass. It is simply the best sounding tube amp in its price range. So I was wondering, would the 15 watt V16 be enough to gig with? Or should I just save my money and get the V32 30 watt version? I could also hook up either one to a 4x12 if that would help any.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
It's enough for small gigs on it's own, and plugged into a 4x12 it'll push a lot more air, and probably be great.

But if you have that cab already, you might think about buying the V32 head. It's priced right between the V16 and V32 combos at $500. The 15W'll do the job, but 30W'll do it better.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Last edited by slatsmania at Mar 12, 2007,
i dont know if it's the "best" sounding tube amp in it's price range. as it is in direct competition with the blues jr, the laney 15 and the soon to be released windsor 15 combo. But i admit i tried and was surprised but it's versatility.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You are refering to the 15 watt V16 right?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Well I think it smokes the blues Jr. I've never even seen a Laney in any store I've been in, so I don't really know much about em. I like peavey amps so a the windsor combo might be worth lookin at. I'm really lookin for someting more portable thats why I'm leaning toward the V16. I don't have a steady job so I will have to build my gear piece by piece. I was planning on: Combo first, then a cab, then a decent head.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

^ Not a bad plan. I bought the Palomino V16 for my son. I like it a lot. It's higher gain than the Blues Jr, but I think the Fender has much better reverb. Depends on what you're after.

That new Windsor does look cool, too, though.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, the reverb is about the only thing I think the Blues junior has over the Crate. I actually liked the cleans on the Crate more than the Blues Jr. I was lookin at the peavey classic 30 or windsor though. Peaveys reverb is very similar to Fenders, but they just didn't have...I don't know, its hard to describe. I guess I just didn't think it had a thick enough sound? The crate just sounded the most "tubey" and had much better OD. Not to mention stock Groove Tubes and a celestion speaker.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Oh btw, Slatsmania, how do you like your Deluxe HSS strat? I'm thinkin thats gonna be my next guitar.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

i like both the crate palominos and the peavey classic 30 and the blues junior. all are slightly different, so just play all of them a couple more times and see which one you like best. the V16 should be enough for small gigs, but if i remember correctly it doesnt have 2 channels (correct me if im wrong) thats one thing that i really liked about the 30w version (and the classic 30). personally i think that switchable channels is a really great thing to have, but if you arent big on it, then obviously dont bother with that. see if you can go to a store during a time when it isnt crowded and then try turning the amp up quite a bit. it will help you see how loud it can get then you can decide for yourself if it has enough volumes.

besides, you can always mic an amp if it doesnt quite get loud enough for you.
Quote by USAPeavey
Oh btw, Slatsmania, how do you like your Deluxe HSS strat? I'm thinkin thats gonna be my next guitar.

I absolutely love it. If it's in your budget, go and get one. Simply beautiful.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Every time I've been in a shop that stocked crates, they had virtually every model (including all the rubbish solid state ones) in stock, bar their little tube combos... which are supposed to be their best amps. Needless to say, I was pissed, as the only crate dealers I know of are on the mainland, and I'm only there very infrequently. Garg, Northern Ireland sucks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have read some great reviews about these Palomino amps. Alot of the reviewers claim that they were made in the USA. I went down to the Musicians Friend outlet to check them out and on the back of them it says that they are made in Vietnam. Was there possibly a couple different production runs of these amps by crate? I have read that they were originally made exlusively for Guitar Center. Maybe Crate switched the production of these to Vietnam and these are what MF is currently selling? The Palomino's I tried at MF did sound pretty good, and they are quite a good value, but if I can get one of these that was made in the USA that would be great. I also wonder if there is any difference tone wise between the US version and the overseas made version?
ha, why did you bump this thread

it shouldn't really matter where it's assembled, as long as the materials are all the same.

and could you really tell the difference if it was actually made in vietnam but they said it was made in the u.s?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
When is the windsor combo coming out?

and yeah the palomino does sound nice, not sure about the bes tin proice range
Quote by UnsignedRecords
ha, why did you bump this thread

it shouldn't really matter where it's assembled, as long as the materials are all the same.

and could you really tell the difference if it was actually made in vietnam but they said it was made in the u.s?

i think the middle sentence answers your last one there...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ha i was just further explaining my point, which i thought of afterwards.

shoulda switched the two around i suppose
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by 1watt
I went down to the Musicians Friend outlet to check them out and on the back of them it says that they are made in Vietnam. Was there possibly a couple different production runs of these amps by crate?

Ours says "Designed and manufactured in the USA." I'll be sure to mention that if I ever put it up for sale.

Maybe this move to Vietnam is the reason for the recent reduction in price. Next time I go to GC, I'll be sure to take a look at the back of the amps there. This is the first I've heard of this.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I bought a Palomino V32 and kept it for 2 weeks. Actually, I went through 2 V32's in 2 weeks. The first one I bought (new) had a bad preamp tube and the reverb knob fell off. I returned it the following week and they exhanged it for another new one, this time still in the sealed factory box. The second one actually worked correctly but it still felt cheap and I wasn't impressed with the build quality. The tolex was coming unglued from the cabinet on the back and the gold "V32" logo was scratched and tarnished. Cosmetics are obviously secondary to sound and the Palomino did have some good tones but I don't think they were any better than competing amps in the same price range and catagory. Just my opinion, but I also couldn't help but think it was ugly looking too. It's hard for me to get into a piece of equipment that isn't also aesthetically pleasing, there's too many choices available to settle for something you aren't completely satisfied with.
Kramer: 85 Baretta, 84 Pacer Imperial, 85 Pacer Imperial
Gibson 68 LP Custom Shop
Fender 69 Strat
Mesa Roadster 2x12
THD Hotplate
Digitech WH-1
Ibanez TS808
Dunlop 535QC
MXR: Distortion III, EVH Phase 90, EVH Flanger, 10 Band EQ, DC Brick
^ was yours vietnamese or USA-built?

Quote by UnsignedRecords
ha i was just further explaining my point, which i thought of afterwards.

shoulda switched the two around i suppose

ah, i wasn't slagging, i was just basically agreeing with you. But, er, yeah, if you'd switched it round, all it needed was a +1.

Quote by slatsmania
(a) Ours says "Designed and manufactured in the USA." I'll be sure to mention that if I ever put it up for sale.

(b) Maybe this move to Vietnam is the reason for the recent reduction in price. Next time I go to GC, I'll be sure to take a look at the back of the amps there. This is the first I've heard of this.

(a) hahahaha! yeah, crank up the price!

(b) could be. sounds to be worth investigating.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ was yours vietnamese or USA-built?

No idea, but I can stop by the store and check it. It was still there as of 2 days ago.
Kramer: 85 Baretta, 84 Pacer Imperial, 85 Pacer Imperial
Gibson 68 LP Custom Shop
Fender 69 Strat
Mesa Roadster 2x12
THD Hotplate
Digitech WH-1
Ibanez TS808
Dunlop 535QC
MXR: Distortion III, EVH Phase 90, EVH Flanger, 10 Band EQ, DC Brick
as usual, any info we can get helps our detective work. Never seen any crate tube combos here, unfortunately, or i could do some digging too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?