Poll: How do you tune your guitar.
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you tune your guitar.
I use a digital tuner
139 82%
I use a tuning fork/pitch pipe/piano etc
8 5%
I have perfect pitch, so I just turn it till it sounds right
20 12%
I've got locking tuners that never need it.
3 2%
Voters: 170.
Page 1 of 2
For reference, I'm curious as to who here has perfect pitch, and who needs to use a tuner i'll post this on the accoustic forum as well for comparison.

I moved house last week, I used to have a well-tuned steinway to tune to, now I don't even have a tuner. I took my accoustic outside in the cold and it promptly went out of tune, so I rang up my brother, who has perfect pitch and got him to sing me a low E over the phone. Then I tuned the guitar and made a recording on my phone that I can tune to for reference. Reminded me what a handy skill perfect pitch is, and I'm wondering how many of you can just play a single note and tune it with nothing for reference.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
he has a very deep voice if hw can sing a low E. I sing bass and have to strain to get a low G. The lowest ive ever sung was an F#, and damn that hurt.
but anyway i use a tuner
Yeah, I need a tuner. Perfect pitch still baffles me.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
i have D tuned into my head. so im good...i laugh at my mate with his cheap crap tuner that goes haywire when it hears a guitar...
i can get pretty close by ear, but when im in a band situation i always use a tuner to make sure im perfectly in tune.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I don't believe that 3 people have perfect pitch so far in the poles. Relative pitch maybe, but perfect pitch is such a rare rare talent.

I use a tuner but I do have relative pitch (i.e. if my E is in tune I can do the rest).
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/

there's an E for u whenever u want it.

and sometimes u cant hear ur guitar to tune it. i have a clip on vibration tuner as well as a pedal tuner. i bring it with me to check intonation when im guitar shopping.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you don't use some method of tuning before you pick up the guitar every time, I thin you're a moron...it makes so much difference.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by Kurapica
I don't believe that 3 people have perfect pitch so far in the poles. Relative pitch maybe, but perfect pitch is such a rare rare talent.

I use a tuner but I do have relative pitch (i.e. if my E is in tune I can do the rest).

It's rare that you find someone who can just tell you what note something is straight away. i think the t/s meant that you can tune a guitar by ear, which isn't perfect pitch, its just memory really.
I use a boss tu-2 for live stuff but I can tune a guitar to standard E with a new set of strings without a tuner. Is that perfect pitch?
I have a funky little tuner that latches onto the headstock and tells you whether you're in or out of tune based on the vibration of the neck and headstock.

It's pretty sweet.
^i went to use mine (intellitouch) on a bass yesterday and it didnt pick up the notes. arent they for bass or guitar? jw if u knew.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Just a tip for when you are tuning by ear: Listen for the pulse. If you are playing the same note on two stings and they are not perfectly tuned, you will hear a pulse. It is very distinct; you can actually feel it. It is caused by the peaks and valleys in the sound wave going in and out of sync.
There's no need to boast about having perfect pitch. Just use a digital tuner. Saves time, and gives you accurate tunings.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by demea
No one here has perfect pitch.
Trust me.

Very few..... I know just one. He is amazing. Can name any note at anytime and tell you if it is sharp or flat.
Quote by MotMandre
Very few..... I know just one. He is amazing. Can name any note at anytime and tell you if it is sharp or flat.

Freaks aren't they? My brother Miles is one of those who's brains are just set to interpret sound on a level the rest of us just don't get. He can go to a cinema, watch a movie for the first time, then come home and sit at the piano and play the whole soundtrack. As well as using him as a mobile tuner with his perfect pitch, I can also play him pretty much any song and he can tell me how to play it straight away. Handy person to have around.

As well as being a not bad guitarist, he's also a cellist with the Sydney youth orchestra, (and other ensembles he gets paid for), and can write orchestral repotoire in his sleep. He wants to go off to Uni next year, do a music major and eventually become a film score composer.

On the other hand he can't do maths, has honestly never read a book all the way through unless a school made him and has f*#k all idea how anything actually works. I guess we all get the same number of brain cells, just some of us have them wired for different skills.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
The cheap Ibanez tuner that came in the box with my first guitar. It has lights... I'm not even sure its technically "digital". But it gets the job done.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
i rarely tune with a tuner, but i do if im doing something weird, or im restringing.

i will tune, and play something, if it dont sound right, i tweak untill its good. and im usually less than 20 cents off of being in tune.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I can tune things perfectly. That, and my guitar never goes out of tune, because of my locking nut.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
I didn't vote, cause I use all, from time to time (Perfect-ish pitch, tuner, other intsrument).
I gave my tuner to a friend and never seen it again ever since Now my guitar is horribly out of tune...
for rent
I jst need to hear a note (like an A) and then I can tune my axe almoste perfectly from there. Allthough I have locking tuners now because I'm a lazy bastard (and uses a floyd-rose of some sort).
I use a digital tuner for the low E and then tune the rest to that.

Whoever chose the "I've got locking tuners that never need it" option is either lying or can't tell when their guitar is out of tune, because the strings still stretch out.
Quote by jj1565
^i went to use mine (intellitouch) on a bass yesterday and it didnt pick up the notes. arent they for bass or guitar? jw if u knew.

Well, I've used it on a bass before and had no problems...

Have you tried picking the string on the fretboard, rather than at the body? Sometimes I find that you really need to get the neck vibrating to get it going.
I'm OCD about tuning. It has to be right on the little green dot, not a hair sharp or flat. I think that some people who think they have perfect pitch are just bragging about how they've become "good" at tuning by ear.
a guy i know had been playing his squier for 2 years without tuning it once...he eventually brought it to my house for me to do it for him...
i use a tuner its quicker accurate
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
Sometimes I can get the E string pretty close to a high E without hearing it, but it's probably b/c it's almost programmed into my mind after hearing it so much. I almost always use a tuner to be on the safe side, and NEVER go without one for shows or recording!!
i have no problem changing between standard and drop D by ear.
but if i need to do a full tune up, i use a tuner that cost me a fiver.
Top lel.
I can usually get a guitar to within less than a halfstep, though I'm better at relative than absolute tuning by far.
I've got a nice Korg tuner, quick and easy. Was wondering if anyones used those odd "pick" tuners. If they're pretty accurate, I'd love to pick one up just to carry around for impromptu trips to music stores. The Korg takes up too much valuable pocket realty to carry around for the hell of it.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
i think you should add "relative pitch" as one of your poll options
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by demea
No one here has perfect pitch.
Trust me.

Just because you dont know anyone doesnt mean that people here cant have it. Ive never seen Australia, does that mean it doesnt exist???

But I have a good ear once I get one string tuned, but the tuner is obviously going to have a perfect reading, so why not just use that.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I ALWAYS use a tuner, RARELY do I not...I do have a good ear, but I prefer to be accurate. The people who use tuners who lose it, why can't you just buy another one? Instead of playing a non tuned guitar. I don't understand how some people can play untuned.
Quote by noah22791
Fender is bringing out a model called a Stratocaster

and Gibson is bringing out something called a Les Paul.

LOL HAHAHAHA...I thought it was funny....
I have enter sandman in my head pefectly so I tune to that, but of course it's not as exact as a digital tuner, which I always use just in case.
I use a tuner if I'm doing any major changes or if I'm playing with other people. Otherwise I can get it close enough by ear.

And like the guy above, if I have no other option, I can play Hall of the mountain king to get the E and A strings right and then tune from there. Rarely does that happen. Everywhere my guitar goes, my tuner comes too.
Page 1 of 2