Hi, Before I go on and buy a guitar that contains active EMG 81's and 60's I would want to know anything that I have to know about them, I've heard that they run on batteries, are they rechargable etc. etc. So If you think of anything important that I need to know about the EMG's then just write it here, thanks!
Hey, Theyre just normal pick-ups, Except youll have a compartment in the back of the guitar for a 9v (square) battery, These last for ages depending upon how much you play, And you can replace them easily just by poping the compartment open and replacing the battery, the battery is then wired into the electronics between the pickup and output jack,

So basically, all it is a 9v battery compartment in the back of your guitar, Just replace it every now and again,
And if your guitar starts playing awfully or your getting an awfull tone after a while, replace batteries,
Thats it =]
Also when you plug your cord into the guitar, that is what turns the pickups on. So always unplug the guitar when you are done playing, or else you will go through batteries too quick. If you remember to unplug the battery should last around 6 months - 1 year with daily use.
EMG say a good quality batter should last around 2000 playing hour's. Ive not changed my battery for 2 years and its still going strong so thats nothing to worry about.
Hmm, but can you play anything with them? They seem to be in the metal area but can I still funk with it or even play classic rock and stuff like hendrix, GnR etc.?
Or should I go for a couple of Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (B) & Jazz (N) pickups?
this is better than that one thread "does it take a car battery?"

anyways, stock EMG's have a 9 volt system in them (you can upgrade to 18 volt systems) and depending on how often you play, you can get 6 to 18 months out of a battery. my basses get about 13 months out of them. and they are pretty versatile. what kind of guitar is it?

erock has some clean and blusey tones out of his 60,89, and SA pups. but his are in basswood, a very neutral tone wood.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
this is better than that one thread "does it take a car battery?"

anyways, stock EMG's have a 9 volt system in them (you can upgrade to 18 volt systems) and depending on how often you play, you can get 6 to 18 months out of a battery. my basses get about 13 months out of them. and they are pretty versatile. what kind of guitar is it?

erock has some clean and blusey tones out of his 60,89, and SA pups. but his are in basswood, a very neutral tone wood.

Thinking about the ESP LTD's, you now the ec-400's they house EMG 81/60's
The 60 would be nice but the EMG 81 would be too high gain whatever. It doesn't give very nice cleans. You could replace it for an 89 though with a coil tap. That would be nice. Or just go 60 60, I think James Hetfield uses 60 in the bridge, it's a bit creamier as apposed to the 81's harsh bite.

The 81 is definitely a metal pickup. The 60 should be nice. It's all preferance though. Go test play it and see if you can get the tones you want from it.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
The 60 would be nice but the EMG 81 would be too high gain whatever. It doesn't give very nice cleans. You could replace it for an 89 though with a coil tap. That would be nice. Or just go 60 60, I think James Hetfield uses 60 in the bridge, it's a bit creamier as apposed to the 81's harsh bite.

The 81 is definitely a metal pickup. The 60 should be nice. It's all preferance though. Go test play it and see if you can get the tones you want from it.

James uses an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck.

There's nothing wrong with the cleans of an 81. If you play with a clean amp you shouldn't have trouble coaxing a clean tone out of an 81 in the neck position. The bridge is tougher, but if you roll back the volume just a bit it will help reduce some of the percussiveness and attack.

You can also wire them for 18v to help with the cleans, it gives them more headroom if you wire it a certain way and that will give you a much less compressed feeling to your tone, helping it be a bit more chimey.
Should I go for a couple of Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (B) & Jazz (N) pickups instead?
Quote by Der Bomber
Should I go for a couple of Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (B) & Jazz (N) pickups instead?

they have more versatility compared to the EMGs you are looking at. I have the jazz in my hollowbody and its a great pickup. I can't recall the ohms off of hand but it is not as high gain as the EMGs are, but does have a nice warmer sound