I started a few weeks back seriously practicing scales with a metronome for a couple hours a day, and I have improved but I'm somewhat concerned. One day I can play a certain BPM very easily and cleanly, but the next day when I try I just can't do it and have to slowly work my way up to it again. Since many of you have been playing for several years is there a point in time where I won't have to keep working up to that speed level, and that I can just play it?
Quote by Greg Harper
I think you need to "warm up"?

Yup.

Just play some solos or something for a while, maybe a few of those scales at a lower BPM than your max, then try again.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
^ +1
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dean Michael Schenker Custom
Ibanez MTM1
Ibanez Canary Chorus
Ibanez Shark Distortion
Boss CS-3
Dunlop DB01 Dimbag Crybaby From Hell
Well yeah, that's what I do. Say I was playing 16th notes at 135 BPM the day before, I would start at like 88 BPM and work my way up to that speed and further. What I'm asking is, is there gonna be a point where I don't have to work my way up, and I can just go at that speed?
if you practice scales, working on speed, does that help your overall speed in everything you plaY?
Quote by yam
if you practice scales, working on speed, does that help your overall speed in everything you plaY?

Depends
Quote by yam

From just like two weeks of practicing scales my picking has definitly improved, and I'm sure other things I haven't noticed have as well.
^ yes and no, playing a scale quickly lets say 16th notes at 120 bpm will help to the degree of however you're playing those notes, if you're alt picking them for example then it will help on your alt picking skills, but it won't help on your sweep picking skills. as for the threadstarter, warming up adequately is important, personally i've found that the faster you go, the more you need to warm up. it usually takes me about 60-90 minutes to warm up (and yes i do go pretty quick) i recommend taking your time to warm up don't start to fast (you'll hurt yourself) don't try to get 60 minutes worth of warm up into 20 minutes or anything of that nature.
Definitely warm up and stretch your muscles. Eventually you'll get better and be able to play faster, quicker.

Then again you can also have completely off days, they suck.
Quote by z4twenny
^ yes and no, playing a scale quickly lets say 16th notes at 120 bpm will help to the degree of however you're playing those notes, if you're alt picking them for example then it will help on your alt picking skills, but it won't help on your sweep picking skills. as for the threadstarter, warming up adequately is important, personally i've found that the faster you go, the more you need to warm up. it usually takes me about 60-90 minutes to warm up (and yes i do go pretty quick) i recommend taking your time to warm up don't start to fast (you'll hurt yourself) don't try to get 60 minutes worth of warm up into 20 minutes or anything of that nature.

Wow, my practice sessions don't normally go over an hour and a half unless i'm watching a movie or something. I have started warming up for like 5-10 minutes with a chromatic excersize though, and that has helped a lot i think.

thanks for the replies!
Quote by Spamwise
I started a few weeks back seriously practicing scales with a metronome for a couple hours a day, and I have improved but I'm somewhat concerned. One day I can play a certain BPM very easily and cleanly, but the next day when I try I just can't do it and have to slowly work my way up to it again. Since many of you have been playing for several years is there a point in time where I won't have to keep working up to that speed level, and that I can just play it?

I dont really know what you are asking, but after a while, you wont have to get every riff up to speed, itll come faster and faster.
yeah i don't really know how long you've been playing or the complexities of what you're playing, one mans nirvana is another mans chopin. but i would definately recommend at LEAST 20 minutes of jamming before really practicing (like i said some of us need more than that which is fine if you do) but really i think it would take at least 20 minutes to get the blood flowing good.