quite simply is there any specific way to do this? any particular arrangement you should adhere to? i'm going for a kind of melodic death style
Tritones!
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
First find a scale you like probabily the melodic minor, then ficd your key, lests say E, then find the power chords that go into it, then use then along with 'peddling the root' by muting the low E and chuging.

Thats what i do.

EDIT: Try slides and different things like thats to add individuality along with syncopation (meaning that you play the not where it isn't expected.)

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Last edited by Tenacious D'er at Mar 12, 2007,
The notes you want are E, F#, G, A, B, C#, D#.

So that your power chords are all on the low E string, and their roots are on the...

0, 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 11.

Play them in any order that sounds good and as i said before, peddle the root (Low E open)

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Quote by Tenacious D'er

So that your power chords are all on the low E string, and their roots are on the...

0, 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 11.

Play them in any order that sounds good and as i said before, peddle the root (Low E open)

thanks man, that helped loads! is there any way to make the guitar sound heavier though? and i'm not sure about the melodic minor scale, i looked in the lessons but i didn't understand what was going on with the formula :S
I like the name Leper. If it has anything to do with the song i like it. Metal sounding stuff can be in the first position so 1-2-3-4-5 Edit* just play notes that are heavy soundin to you. play some fast melodic shit with lots of distortion.
Last edited by SillyRabbit at Mar 12, 2007,
Quote by Tenacious D'er
If you want to compose some lead over these power chords, it's a E Melodic Minor scale
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Last edited by hurlyz at Mar 12, 2007,
and how would i go about composing something from that? just play the E melodic minor to a rhythm? change bits to legato? or is it more complex than that?
Quote by LeperAffinity
and how would i go about composing something from that? just play the E melodic minor to a rhythm? change bits to legato? or is it more complex than that?

good Q help us out guys
www.myspace.com/wearemonsterrs
The problem with metal is that everything has been done in some way, shape or form. You've got to try and come up with something that is unique enough! Try screwing around with funky (and by funky i mean weird) rhythms. Use unexpected chord transitions. Anything minor or diminished will work really. And yes, playing that scale to a rhythm is cool, but jump around. I composed a song yesterday that was in B Harmonic Minor, but just used little jumps and repeating runs to make it interesting. If you come up with a riff you can't hate, repeat it in different keys, and see what sounds awesome for building tension. I know that's kind of a lot, but that's what I do.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
what I do for every style riff is to just take a progression (ie I VI III VII)
use the notes derived from the arpeggio belonging to the chord in the progression, and play around with notes around them.. especially good for metal riffs, to get away from those few low notes and that 1 string, this creates soooo much freedom..
as to make it sound like metal, play chromatics out of the arpeggio (do use this offbeat only) and flattening the 5th note in the scale leads to the darkest tones you can think of.. combining this with a harm. 7th means absolute doom ^^
have a look at bodoms riffs to catch some ideas for the rhythm
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
thanks fun! i'll give that a try, it sounds pretty good what'd'you mean by flatten the 5th though (sorry i'm a noob)
If your playing real metal, you can just come up with any kind of riff, but then play it with some awesome overdrive. Thats the beauty of metal, so much of it is about tone and attitude that you can play almost anything. Example...a lot of Dimebag's riffs are blues based.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C