Have a Marshall JCM900 Head and when I use the direct out on it, into my 16 track DAW it sounds...for want of a better word....wank. Its really fuzzy and I have no idea why. I recorded a couple of tracks with my band and is I messed around with the settings ie. taking down the gain, eq etc, it got no better...Any one ANY ideas as to what the hell is going wrong?

Cheers

Jim
Its because you have no cab simulator. Your getting raw signal.

When you play an amp normally the speakers are a huge part of shaping the tone. Without them its just fuzz.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
My other guitaristhas a Marshall TSL 60 Head which we also used in recording and his does not sounds in anyway fuzzy. Will his amp have a cab simulator?
DIing a head will most likely always sound shit.

what you need to do is get a cab and an SM57 microphone and record using the mic. it will sound soooooooooooo much better.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
No i've sorted it dont worry. I used the direct output and should of used recording compensated output. Only problem with using a mic on my cab is the bleed you get to the mic
Quote by carrotjames
No i've sorted it dont worry. I used the direct output and should of used recording compensated output. Only problem with using a mic on my cab is the bleed you get to the mic

That's exactly what I was going to tell you. The direct out jack is just pre-amp, no power amp section.
Aaaah iv ran into another problem. I recorded a test with both the outputs is the recording compensated is ust a bit quieter. Still sounds crap :S
MIC IT!!!!!

just trust me. it will sound a hell of alot better. and dont worry about the bleeding, you can put a gate on it when your mixing.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2