Why is it that when I try to play a barre chorde, the finger that is pushing down multiple strings doesn't quite do it? I try to play a barre chord and not all the strings play the note; I'm muting it and not applying enough pressure, how do I fix this?

Also, I am STILL stuck on how to play scales across strings, and I feel like a total idiot for asking, but if I was alone and was thinking, "Hey I know! I'll practice scales! Let's play a G-major across the strings." I couldn't because I don't get it. This is seriously hindering my 'learning' process.
EX.)
So tell me, please, from beginning to end; how do I start a scale and play it across all 6 strings?
Sorry for the huge post, and thank you for at least reading it.
In your diagram of the scale, you play on the E string the 8th fret with your second finger, or middle finger, then proceed to play on the E string the 10th fret; Then down a string to A on the 7th fret with your first or index finger and so on until you have completed the scale. C, D, E, F, and G are the notes you are playing when playing the scale.

As for the barre chords, just practice. Build up some good finger strength and just keep trying until you've got it.

Hope I helped.
hmmm....as for the scale, you do it pretty much as it says on the image you posted. go one string at a time, with one finger per fret, start at the C on the low e string there, then D, then switch to the A string and continue on like that. i never thought i'd actually have to explain that in such a basic way.

as for the barre chords, just practice. hold the chord and go through it hitting one string at a time to make sure they're all being fretted, if not then adjust your fretting hand a bit until nothing's muted. your fingers just need to get a bit stronger, everyone's got a learning curve there.
Ah thanks a ton, see something that simple just seems to elude me somehow. But there's still one thing bugging me. I get that you start on the E string and play down from there, but how do I know what note to skip down a string on?
Just read from top to bottom, then left to right. In the diagram, it goes C,D,E,F,G, then back to A,B,C,D,E,F,G. The scale is in C, so it begins at C and goes to G, and restarts at A.

Edit: C through F#, then restarts at A.
Last edited by jimm89 at Mar 12, 2007,
Alright, here we go.

Barre chords just take practice. What else can I say? Not much. Just make sure you're pressing very hard on all the strings, and be sure to apply a lot of pressure to the back of the guitar neck with your thumb.

I'll focus more on your scales question. A pattern played across all the strings uses three notes on each string. To find out what frets to play, you must first know the notes in the scale in question.

I'll use your example of G major in order to explain this. A Gmaj scale uses the notes G, A, B, C, D, E, and F#. Knowing this, you can determnie the pattern you're going to be playing.

#             #
   G A B C D E F G A B C D E F A B C D
|--------------------------------5-7-8--|
|--------------------------5-7-8--------|
|--------------------4-5-7--------------|
|--------------4-5-7--------------------|
|--------3-5-7--------------------------|
|--3-5-7--------------------------------|

Edit - Slowww.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Last edited by Pan-Tallica at Mar 12, 2007,
Lol, I know how to READ it then play it vantage, I just don't get WHY you play it that way. I know I am such an idiot, thank you guys for being patient, but now I have another problem.

EDIT: When playing the C-major scale, why do you play C and D on the E string then skip down to the A string? I guess what I want to know is if there is a rule for how many notes to play on a string, what is it?
Last edited by will0mon at Mar 12, 2007,
Also you probably want to make sure you keep your fingers in position. The four frets that are being used in this scale are frets 7,8,9 and 10. So you want to use your #1 finger (index) on the 7th fret notes, #2 finger (middle) on the 8th fret notes, #3 finger (ring) on the 9th fret notes and #4 (pinky) finger on the 10th fret notes.
Okay forget all the other stuff I said, I have pondered this and I hope I've got it. I'll try to word this as best I can.
Is there a specific format for playing the scale. (E.g Is there a specific amount of notes that you are supposed to play on one string, before continuing on to the next string? Also, do you HAVE to use a certain number of notes? Could you just play like 5 notes, but divide them amongst the strings? This is the only thing bugging me, I know HOW to play the scales and can read them just fine, I just don't understand if there is a logic behind the number of notes used.
Hopefully someone can answer this for me, again sorry I am such an idiot.
Okay forget all the other stuff I said, I have pondered this and I hope I've got it. I'll try to word this as best I can.
Is there a specific format for playing the scale. (E.g Is there a specific amount of notes that you are supposed to play on one string, before continuing on to the next string? Also, do you HAVE to use a certain number of notes? Could you just play like 5 notes, but divide them amongst the strings? This is the only thing bugging me, I know HOW to play the scales and can read them just fine, I just don't understand if there is a logic behind the number of notes used.
Hopefully someone can answer this for me, again sorry I am such an idiot.

In a word....no.

That's why all this "box" business is a bit counter-productive. The pattern you've got is the simplest fingering for the major scale, mainly because it doesn't require you to move your hand and it uses all six strings and all four fingers. It's an easy to grasp introduction to the Major scale - but just treat it as that, it's a simple pattern demonstrating which notes are used in that scale. All you need to do with that knowledge is learn what those notes are, and learn where else you can play them which allows you to expand the scale all over the neck. Also, don't forget that there's rules about scales - they have to fall within one octave and the intervals have to remain constant.

The pattern you've got is a C major scale on all six strings, if you want to play a different scale you just move the root note to the relevant fret.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
That picture is one way of playing the C major scale, although technically it's one way of playing 2 and a bit C major scales. CDEFGAB is the C major scale, when you get to B you're just starting again from the C an octave higher. If you want to play G major just move that shape to the 3rd fret. You can play that shape from ANY note on the fretboard, just remember that the fingering will alter if you start on one of the other strings due to the funny tuning of the B string. You can also play the notes anywhere you like, so you could just play the scale on one string, play it across 2 etc, also you don't have to finger it the smae way, you could do 3 notes per string or 4 or do whatever you like.

The important thing is to learn the NOTES that appear in that scale, and find wherelse you can play them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i also have a stupid question to ask..so you wont feel alone

Ive seen people say how music like punk or pop punk mainly uses the minor pentatonic for solo's, but when soloing...you cant just play the scale with the notes in order the whole time..right? If you did, all solos would basically sound the same..

Basically...solo'ing using a certain scale confuses me...any help is appriciated...im very much new at all this...i felt that needed to be added becuz i know it doesnt show.....

ah sarcasm...
Just do some research on basic (BASIC...not that freaky Gilbert stuff!!!) pentatonic licks, get a book, google em, get some youtube videos.

This kind of stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG8U3vbeH18
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Dude Steven truly you are the master*. Thanks a ton, I get stuck on the stupidest things and I need exact clarifictaion (follower not a leader). Now I can play in peace knowing I get to play wherever and it isn't wrong. Hopefully I will master scales and become a god of guitar, not likely but oh well, thanks a ton.
^ wouldnt it shock everyone if you and I became the greatest musicians to ever live...

ok ill stop before they close the thread
Dude Steven truly you are the master*. Thanks a ton, I get stuck on the stupidest things and I need exact clarifictaion (follower not a leader). Now I can play in peace knowing I get to play wherever and it isn't wrong. Hopefully I will master scales and become a god of guitar, not likely but oh well, thanks a ton.

It's actually pretty simple when it's explained to you, and you can work it out for yourself but you're never entirely sure if you've got it right... although bear in mind it took me about 8 years to work that stuff out for myself!

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc