Hi, I cant really pick fast does anyone have any tips or drills that I can do to practice picking fast across multiple strings? Im not so bad if I stick to one string, but for example if I try going up and down scales my fast picking sucks lol. Thanks in advance.
practise with a metronome. Start at a comfortable speed, then increase the tempo slowly every time you can play comfortably, and without tension in either hand/wrist/arm. That's the most important thing, otherwise you'll end up hurting yourself.

As for things to play, practise scales, chromatics, that sort of stuff. For string skipping, just miss out strings when doing scales and what not.
Quote by shmooty
practise with a metronome. Start at a comfortable speed, then increase the tempo slowly every time you can play comfortably, and without tension in either hand/wrist/arm. That's the most important thing, otherwise you'll end up hurting yourself.

As for things to play, practise scales, chromatics, that sort of stuff. For string skipping, just miss out strings when doing scales and what not.

should I be tensing my wrist and arm when im playing fast? because thats what im doing now lol. Im sure its got something to do with my hand position.
when you are speed-picking u should be as relaxed as possible or else ur playing in a speed ur not good enough for
Check out John Petrucci's Rock Discipline book or video for lots of exercises.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by david_safc
should I be tensing my wrist and arm when im playing fast? because thats what im doing now lol. Im sure its got something to do with my hand position.

Nope, it should be as relaxed and easy as when you play something slowly. If you play tensed up you can up ruining your hand and wrist muscles, and you won't be able to play guitar for a while because you'll be in pain. The John Petrucci Rock Discipline video is great for explaining how to make sure you're properly warmed up for playing.

Speed takes a long time to come, and requires regular practise to be able to do it properly. Don't rush it with bad techniques because they'll only come back and bite you in the ass later on
Quote by shmooty
Nope, it should be as relaxed and easy as when you play something slowly. If you play tensed up you can up ruining your hand and wrist muscles, and you won't be able to play guitar for a while because you'll be in pain. The John Petrucci Rock Discipline video is great for explaining how to make sure you're properly warmed up for playing.

Speed takes a long time to come, and requires regular practise to be able to do it properly. Don't rush it with bad techniques because they'll only come back and bite you in the ass later on

ok thanks. Does anyone have any tips for switching strings? because when I do I always get my pick caught up and i slow down.
Quote by david_safc
ok thanks. Does anyone have any tips for switching strings? because when I do I always get my pick caught up and i slow down.

PLAY ON ONE STRING
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Erm... I know Paul Gilbert likes string skipping, maybe try finding some videos of him giving lessons about it on youtube. dunno if there will be any, but i've seen similiar things.

EDIT: here's something, watch his picking technique if that's what you are struggling with

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oKvIAuXMl7U

Really the only way to improve is to practise. If you're getting your pick caught in the strings, slow down to a tempo where you can play it comfortably and work on building speed, whilst keeping your movements clean and away from the strings.
thanks for the paul gilbert video, its good If i buy rock discipline how long do you think it will be before I could be playing at a reasonable speed?
Depends how much time you put in practising, everyone learns at their own pace
If you spend an hour each day practising strict alternate picking, you'll build speed fairly quickly probably. i can't really say, i've only recently begun to get into strict practising like that, but I can tell the difference after a week.
Quote by shmooty
Depends how much time you put in practising, everyone learns at their own pace
If you spend an hour each day practising strict alternate picking, you'll build speed fairly quickly probably. i can't really say, i've only recently begun to get into strict practising like that, but I can tell the difference after a week.

wow cool, im defo gonna buy this dvd then.
Check out too for the Paul Gilbert: Intense Rock Video. It focus mainly on the alternate picking technique covering one string exercise, insane string skipping, etc...
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS