Hey, I have a GCSE Maths exam tomorrow and I've borrowed a scientific calculator from a mate of mine. I have no idea how to use it. Please could someone give me a kind of idea of some of the basic functions of the extra buttons, or the ones that you think I will need to use.

I know I'm not that bright only asking now.

Thanks!
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
same as anyother calculator, just its got sutff like sin and tan on it
And what am I supposed to use them for?

'hyp' what?
'sin' what?
'cos' what?
'a b/c' what?
'nCr' what?

There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
1) Pick up calcultor
2) Smash against desk
3) Do an evil laugh (it is best to practise this)
sin tan cos are for trigonometry, but if u dont know that now dont worry cos ull be ****ed anyway.
therell be a 2nd function button somewhere that activates the "2nd function" of some buttons
anything else?
You're doing gcse maths and don't know what sin or cos are?!?!
sin cos and tan are used in trigonometry
a b/c is used to input fractions, which is sometimes easier and quicker than decimals
If there's any way to do things like 8x cubed/squared on them.

Just anything you think might help for a basic level GCSE test.

edit: my school makes us do GCSE Maths a year early (I should be too young to be in my year, so for me it's two), and it's the only subject at school I have no idea whatsoever about.
i have a gcse maths exam tomorrow too

Quote by DigUpHerBones
And what am I supposed to use them for?

'hyp' what?
'sin' what?
'cos' what?
'a b/c' what?
'nCr' what?

a b/c is used to input fractions (numerator then a b/c then denominator) press = to convert to decimal
dont worry about anything u dont recognise cos most need at least some learning before hand and u cant do that.
gonna have to be a retake mate. why wait so long ye bellend?
the nCr you dont have to worry about. use that at a level. (either for geometric series or binomial expansion i cant remember)

basically all u need to know what to do is sin cos tan and arcsin arccos arctan (should be the 2nd function of the sin cos and tan buttons)
Seriously, I was the only kid in the class who didn't know what trigonometry was (after 3-4 years of it) and I still got the lowest grade in the class... which was a B.
Well how do I use the sin and cos buttons then?
Quote by zakattak_
and surds

you cant really do surds on a scientific calculator (or i cany, anyway )

i wanna get a graphing calculator. they just look so cool.
Before worrying about if you need to know how to use those buttons, do you even recognize sine or cosine at all? If you've never seen it, I doubt you'll need it.

You can do squares and cubes by pressing a number followed by the squared/cubed button. They may or may not be second functions and the actual look of your button depends on your calculator (most likely an x raised to the power of 2 or 3). Also, you can use the ^ button to raise a number to a power. Number ^ Power.
^^ Thanks.
yea but how can you do this on a calulator:

simplify:

√12

typing that in on a calculator (my calculator any) doesnt give 2√3 itll give some kinda decimal
Calculators don't tend to give answers in roots. Even if you type in root(3), it'll give you the decimal form. You should really be able to do simplifications like that, in any case.

Also, can someone tell me what surds are? I've never heard that term, I assume it's some British name for something.
its leaving something in the form of square roots.

what i just did: √12 is the same as √4 x √3 which = 2√3
There is a new model casio calculator which simplifies surds and your'e able to input functions into it as well.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.