How come when Jimi Hendrix plays his SSS strats he makes them sound extraordinary, every other strat I hear has often got a twang or a whack (when two pickups are used at the same time) type of sound to it, how can I get my strat to sound like Hendrix'?
Bridge pickup and cranked Marshall
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by Dr. No
Bridge pickup and cranked Marshall

Listen to his studio tone. It's actually very clean. But as you said his tone isn't that twangy. My guess is this:
Hendrix cranked his amps, getting ALOT of distortion. To clean things up he then pulled down the volume on his guitar. This causes you to loose output and get a cleaner tone. It does also take away some treble, meaning it doesn't have as much attack and twang.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The fact that the pups are in a different setup in relation to the strings surely plays a part too. As he played right handed Strats restrung, that would certainly have an effect.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
pure skill

and
the upside down pickup

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
ive never noticed a difference between upside and rightside up pups, other than pole pieces, which is easily fixed.

on the SD site, the only difference between LH and RH pups is what side the lead comes off of.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Gabel

Hendrix cranked his amps, getting ALOT of distortion. To clean things up he then pulled down the volume on his guitar. This causes you to loose output and get a cleaner tone. It does also take away some treble, meaning it doesn't have as much attack and twang.

+4

Thats probably the best guess of what he did. I also believe SRV stole that trick from him as well.

And an up-side-down pickup really isnt really going to do anything at all.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

if i get a left handed guitar and re-string it so i can play right handed would i sound more like jimi hendrix?
no. but you might sound like him if you STUDY his playing, he has hisown characteristic techniques. and you will never sound jsut like him.
You cant sound like Jimi. Only Jimi can sound like Jimi. Sorry.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by pouou
if i get a left handed guitar and re-string it so i can play right handed would i sound more like jimi hendrix?

Quote by GuitarNinja12
You cant sound like Jimi. Only Jimi can sound like Jimi. Sorry.

try to be usefull once in a while...

and i think the main factors on hendrix tone are those vintage fenders, cranked plexi, and the neck pickup (at least i use the neck pup to get a similar tone)

EDIT: and the pup poles being a different place give a different tone too
Hendrix didn't just crank his Marshalls, he cranked his Marshalls. He literally turned everything up to 10.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure