Is there any device that exists that would amplify the signal coming straight from my guitar enough so that i can plug directly into the "line-in" port of my soundcard without any need for a proper amplifier? This would be so that I can use Amplitube more efficiently (Amplitube doesn't take too kindly to microphone input, at least the mic input on my $12 soundcard...).
You want to amplify the sound without using an amplifier =S

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Quote by BodaciousBob
You want to amplify the sound without using an amplifier =S

You obviously didn't read my post correctly...I want to amplify the signal without using my full blown combo amp (this is what I meant by "proper amplifier"...sorry if thats what confused you). Just need to amplify the signal up to an appropriate level for "line-in"....I guess you could call it like pre-amplification. My computer will be doing the power amplification. What I need is to just boost it up slightly so I can actually use the line-in port. If nobody knows what I'm talking about, then I give up here...
Try to grab a second hand Lexicon MPX-100, MPX-110, they get passed around for roughly $30-$50.

20 bit AD convertor, line out, preamp bybass, S/P-DIF optical output.

This little unit really shines straight out of the box, but, with just one simple mod you'll get a huge authoritative sound like coming out from $5000 studio preamp:
- replace the input and output caps with big .39 polypropylene film caps.
Last edited by ColdGin at Mar 12, 2007,
M-Audio AUDIO BUDDY (small pre-amp) is great - 2 inputs with a Gain Controls for each one - I own one and it definitely will give you more OOOMPH when plugged into your computer's sound card...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Audio-Buddy?sku=701104

I used mine for awhile on my Mac and it gave me more gain and a "fatter sound". Now I'm using a Zoom G2 direct into my Mac and it does the same thing - I set it for a CLEAN sound when I use Amplitube and Guitar Rig software and also use the built-in amps sims too on the Zoom (using my DAW - Logic Express)... the Zoom G2 was $99 and plugged in direct gives me loads of amps and also a tuner and drum machine - the drum machine has a "tap" feature to select the timings I need and actually sounds good when used with my recording software... I did discover it sounds good with SS amps but on my 2 vintage tube amps it sounds kinda crappy so I stick with analog pedals for tubers - namely a TS-7 Tubescreamer and an OD pedal - I bought a BOSS DS-1 but it cheapens the sound of my tube amps too so I gave it to a 14-year old neighbor along with a Fender Frontman I had so he could start learning Rock & Roll!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Mar 12, 2007,
You can use your amp line/recording/heaphone out through the soundcard. I use it with the Microcube on the cleans models and work fine with Amplitube. Also you can use a overdrive pedal through the soundcard(make sure doesn't suck tone), put the gain knob to zero and use the level knob to adjust the amount of signal you want to get.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS