I purchased a marshall MG30DFX a while back and it has never quite sounded right. The overdrive channel will randomly lose all of it's kick and volume/definition... it will occasionally pop back to normal so the amp isn't totally broken. I know the whole line is defective, and my situation is probably the same as this guy,
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484510&highlight=mg30
but it seems like there must be something I can go in and soldier or whatnot. Guitar and cable work fine with other amps, by the way. Is there anything I can do to fix my amp?

Thanks.
throw it out of a window?

nah, on a more serious note- Marshall MG's are preeeety bad amps, trade it in to your local shop or something and get a nicer amp
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Buy a distortion or overdrive pedal instead of that crappy MG "overdrive".
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Check the circutry of the od channel, could possibly b a sketchy soldering joint somewhere. Heat and vibration of the amp may be the reason it pops in every now and then. But if the channel starts making excessive noise...the preamp is blown.
its true...the MGs have a shitty overdrive. they sound really good on a clean channel though
but yeah, buy a distortion or overdrive pedal...thats what i did
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
ignoring the slamming and crushing qualities of the amp, it sounds like a bad solder on the board where the channel selector is soldered on. when in dirty, wigle the amp, or the button and see if it makes it worse. if so, you got a bad solder joint.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by collars
I purchased a marshall MG30DFX a while back and it has never quite sounded right. The overdrive channel will randomly lose all of it's kick and volume/definition... it will occasionally pop back to normal so the amp isn't totally broken. I know the whole line is defective, and my situation is probably the same as this guy,
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484510&highlight=mg30
but it seems like there must be something I can go in and soldier or whatnot. Guitar and cable work fine with other amps, by the way. Is there anything I can do to fix my amp?

Thanks.

I had the exact same problem when I had that amp, it cost me quite a bit to repair and the technician said that he'd replaced some parts.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
i use a disto pedal through the clean channel and just recently mine has been "popping" out of the powerband so it does do it on the clean channel as well so you know. im really not happy with my amp, it has served it's purpose for the past 4 years but its time to let it go, mine is a MG250DFX btw.
Don't worry man, It is still a good amp. Zakk Wylde even said it was crushing and slamming! Now that means something!
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
Just open it up and look for a bad solder joint. I can't imagine the MG's being too complex...at least not to the point that you wouldn't want to just resolder the whole thing.

Any amp repairman that's been in the business a while will tell you that PCB's suck. Their joints are going to fail eventually, especially in a vibration riddled place like a guitar amp.

Pull it out and resolder the whole board. I like to disconnect all the wires, turn it over, and stick it in a vice. Having it in the vice makes resoldering stuff like that a cinch.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's