Adam Jones (from Tool) says in Guitar World that in the intro to Aenima he was playing 3-on-4. What's that mean?
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
i just listened to it and it really sounds like 4/4 to me, maybe he means four-lets. I think there is a kind of four-let that is 3 in the time of 4. Its been a long time since i've taken theory.... Now another possibility is that he was lying, after all tool is known for spreading wrong information about their music and equipment. Its part of the mysterious that makes tool be tool
ive read that, he said he based it off a polyrhythm, i just wrote aobut this a second ago, and it is based off a polyrhythm

if you had 3 against 4, they would meet up at 12, here an easier example...

if you had 2 against 3, they'd meet up at six

like this:
1 2 3 1 2 3

1 2 1 2 1 2

try really slowly tapping your right hand to the one's in the top line, and your left hand to the 1's in the bottom line

polyrhythms
very fun stuff...
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
ive read that, he said he based it off a polyrhythm, i just wrote aobut this a second ago, and it is based off a polyrhythm.

if you had 3 against 4, they would meet up at 12, here an easier example...

if you had 2 against 3, they'd meet up at six like this:
1 2 3 1 2 3

1 2 1 2 1 2

try really slowly tapping your right hand to the one's in the top line, and your left hand to the 1's in the bottom line.
polyrhythms
very fun stuff...
This is correct and is much easier to demonstrate than to explain (but here goes anyway). The solution is to multiply the two rhythmic factors together and then count or tap (with your foot or metronome) the total number of "impulses" while tapping each individual rhythm with your hands.

In the case of 3 against 4, we multiply 3 X 4 to get 12. We then mark on a piece of paper 12 vertical lines. Then we mark the lines at the top and bottom with each hand's "part"...

R Hand (3/12): | | | | | | | | | | | | (every 4th impulse)
L Hand (4/12): | | | | | | | | | | | | (every 3rd impulse)

This would have been much more effective if I could have gotton the vertical lines aligned.

In any case, as your foot or metronome marks 12 "beats", each hand taps on its marked line (red in this case). It can feel very awkward at first, but keep at it and it will get easier and easier. Was that fun, or what?
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
i find it works best if you attempt to do these in school....thanks to algebra this year ive mastered 3 against 4, and just finished up 3 against 5

(this is what i do in school)
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by bi$anz
i just listened to it and it really sounds like 4/4 to me,

The guitar and drums are playing in 12/8 - thats 4 dotted-crotchet beats to a bar

If you clap your hands along with the breathing youll notice that there are 9 evenly spaced breaths leading up to the guitar riff, and that you clap three times per bar of guitar.

That makes the breathing in 3/2 time (I think) as there is one breath every four eighth-notes, and a bar of 3/2 and 12/8 are the same length.

Or you could just say everything is in 12/8, with a breath every half-note.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums