Sodium chloride is produced from its elements through a synthesis reaction. What mass of each reactant would be required to produce 25.0 mol of sodium chloride?

Can someone please solve this problem? I need to check my answer to make sure I did it right.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Sodium chloride is produced from its elements through a synthesis reaction. What mass of each reactant would be required to produce 25.0 mol of sodium chloride?

Can someone please solve this problem? I need to check my answer to make sure I did it right.

ok then, whats your answer?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
RAM of Na = 23
RAM of Cl = 35.5

Ratio 1:1

Mole = Mass/RAM

12.5 = Mass/23 for Na
12.5 = Mass/35.5 for Cl

287.5g Na
443.75g Cl

I think...
MTV and ChubbyChunks, you guys must've gotten it right since you got the same answer. I got 143.69g Na. Can one of you explain how you got it?
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Well you'd need 25 mols of Na and 25 mols of Cl. 25x23=575g for Na and 25 x 35.5= 887.5 for Cl.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you need 25 mols of Na to make 25 mols of NaCl. . .
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Oh. I'm not quite following your explanation well. I use the conversion chart for this.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

Quote by Meths
Well you'd need 25 mols of Na and 25 mols of Cl. 25x23=575g for Na and 25 x 35.5= 887.5 for Cl.

2Na+Cl^2-->2NaCl

It's 1 to 1 for Na.
But, it's 1 to 2 for Cl. And Cl's molar mass is 35.4527.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

This is tenth grade science, haha.
I say we will have a real cool time, tonight.
Mass = Mol x RAM

Mass NaCl = 25 x(22.99+35.45)]

Mass NaCl = 1461 g

Reaction:

Na + 1/2Cl2 --> NaCl

Reaction ratio 1:1 therefore if you make 25 Mol of product you would need 25 mol of Na and 12.5 mol of Cl2 (think about it, 12.5 mole of Cl2 is the same as 25 mol Cl on its own).

So:

Mass Na = 25x22.99 = 574.75 g
Mass Cl2 = 1/2 x 2 x 25 x 35.45 = 886.25g
Total Mass NaCl = 1461 g

Which is the mass at the start.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Mar 12, 2007,
Quote by Guitardude19
Mass = Mol x RAM

Mass NaCl = 1461 g

Reaction:

Na + 1/2Cl2 --> NaCl

Reaction ratio 1:1 therefore if you make 25 Mol of product you would need 25 mol of Na and 12.5 mol of Cl2 (think about it, 12.5 mole of Cl2 is the same as 25 mol Cl on its own).

So:

Total Mass NaCl = 1461 g

All right. That makes sense. Thanks.

Quote by markdirt
This is tenth grade science, haha.

Yeah, and you obviously know how to do it, considering that you offered so much help.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

Quote by Meths

+1

you need 25 moles of each. I'm assuming your arithmetic is correct, I can't be bothered to do it. But the principle is correct.

EDIT: crap. you only need half the number of moles for Cl2 (chlorine gas).

So you need 12.5 moles of Cl2, and 25 moles of sodium. you should be able to work it out from there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Guitardude19
Mass = Mol x RAM

Mass NaCl = 1461 g

Reaction:

Na + 1/2Cl2 --> NaCl

So:

Total Mass NaCl = 1461 g

why did you multiply the 1/2 by 2 in the Cl2 bit?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He multiplied it by 2 because of the subscript.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

garg, I'm starting from scratch here (i can't edit or my computer will crash).

the mass of NaCl is 23 + 35.5 =58.5. Multiply by the number of moles (25) gives you 1462.5 grams.

You need 25 moles of sodium, which is 25 x 23 = 575g.

you need 25 moles of Cl; however chlorine in its natural form is Cl2, so you only need 12.5 moles of this.

12.5 x 71 (the mass of the chlorine molecule (i realise why that guy multiplied by two above now, apologies )) = 887.5g of Chlorine.

I think that's it. So yeah, that guy above was right.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
He multiplied it by 2 because of the subscript.

yeah, i got it. I'd have done that in my head, that's why I missed it. I did it from scratch again just to make sure it was correct.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
garg, I'm starting from scratch here (i can't edit or my computer will crash).

the mass of NaCl is 23 + 35.5 =58.5. Multiply by the number of moles (25) gives you 1462.5 grams.

You need 25 moles of sodium, which is 25 x 23 = 575g.

you need 25 moles of Cl; however chlorine in its natural form is Cl2, so you only need 12.5 moles of this.

12.5 x 71 (the mass of the chlorine molecule (i realise why that guy multiplied by two above now, apologies )) = 887.5g of Chlorine.

I think that's it. So yeah, that guy above was right.

So was me.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Haha, Crackhead

k i know im gonna b flamed 4 this but what is stoichiometry
Member of the "Shoop da Whoop club" PM C.C. Deville to join.
O _0
/###############
|###############
\###############

98% of teens have either drank alcohol, or been around another teen drinking alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
^^ yeah. you actually didn't need to bother with the converting the Cl to Cl2 guff as long as they asked you for weight, not moles. And didn't award marks for working out.

EDIT: stoichiometry is basically the ratios of reactants to each other.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^You won't get flamed, people here aren't complete assholes...
Its like asking what... something I've never heard of is...... ...

I had a real "Stoichiometry.. that's right up my alley" moment,
then I remembered that I pay no attention in college and I no longer do chemistry..
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.