Page 1 of 3
Not sure if this has been done before, tried searching and found nothing.

Which current artists do you guys think are the most important/will be the most influential in years to come? This isn't a thread to list off your favorite bands, or the ones you think are the most talented. This is an attempt to predict who will be the Beatles and the Pink Floyds and the Led Zeppelins of this era. My (extremely) incomplete list:

Radiohead
Brand New
The Human Abstract
Coheed & Cambria
The Mars Volta

Yes, these are all fairly mainstream bands. But that's part of what makes a band influential in the future. I feel like these are some of the bands that the up-and-comers worthy of a listen will be emulating in the coming years, and therefore, the future of rock. Feel free to agree, suggest, or tear me apart...
I'm gonna have to tear you apart. That list is pretty atrocious, but it depends what music you're dealing with. In terms of radio rock, sure, they'll be influencial. Then again, so will MCR and Yellowcard. Radiohead and the like are not great bands.

In terms of music that will be regarded as great music, bands like The Dead Brotheres, The Homosexuals, Wau Los Arrgs!, gerogerigigigi, etc will be highly influencial.

There's a lot of concentration right now on 8-bit, japanoise, and garage rock among the musical community, and I'm sure the stupid New Weird America (not weird at all) and Death to False Grind (not real grind) will die out soon.

We can't ignore japanese nu jazz either.

Also, more people are paying their dues to older bands like The Stooges, Blue Cheer, and The Kinks. Those bands are going to last much longer than the new trash that comes out today and will be gone tomorrow.
I say we will have a real cool time, tonight.
There's no such thing as the most influencial band ever.

The Beatles aren't very good, anyways. The only great albums they had were Please Please Me, Meet the Beatles, and Rubber Soul.
I say we will have a real cool time, tonight.
that's my point, though. there will always be the cult favorites that influence a select group of musicians. however, when you look back twenty or thirty years, it's not those bands that are being honored as the greatest of their generation. it's bands like led zeppelin and the beatles, who were radio rock bands in their own time. they may not have been the most talented musicians (though they were very talented), but they were great composers. they wrote lyrics that people took to heart, and wrote music that provoked strong emotion in listeners on a very basic level. at the same time, though, they retained a certain honesty in their music, and you can tell by listening that they were playing more for themselves than anyone else.

it's all about finding a balance, and i feel like those bands have found it.
"Radiohead
Brand New
The Human Abstract
Coheed & Cambria
The Mars Volta"

yes that seems like a fair list. Coheed & Cambria is pretty good and i absolutely love The Mars Volta.
and all of the above seem reasonably talented. they may not be the best, but they can make some good music you can shake a fist at. whatever that means...
i don't know of any other bands to expand that list with, because it's a little difficult to determine what kind of affect they will have on other musicians in the biz.
Quote by stjoejake

Yes, these are all fairly mainstream bands. But that's part of what makes a band influential in the future.

I agree on that thought.
I agree on Radiohead and The Mars Volta. Especially on Radiohead - they already ARE influential on a huge scale. OK Computer is a milestone of rock music, point - although that's been almost 10 years now, right?
I'd like to add Muse and Tool. But everything else that'd come to mind was active in the 90s. Nothing really NEW here.

Quote by markdirt
In terms of music that will be regarded as great music, bands like The Dead Brotheres, The Homosexuals, Wau Los Arrgs!, gerogerigigigi, etc will be highly influencial.

There's a lot of concentration right now on 8-bit, japanoise, and garage rock among the musical community, and I'm sure the stupid New Weird America (not weird at all) and Death to False Grind (not real grind) will die out soon.

First and foremost: music always was and will be a matter of taste before everything else.
But seriously, you missed the point I think. He was looking for bands that will be remembered in the future and become influential on a large scale - like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zep were. The bands you named might be(come) influential for a rather small part of the rock/jazz/whatever-subculture, and that means: no one except a relatively small number of people will ever get to know them. So no new Beatles or whoever.

Quote by markdirt
Also, more people are paying their dues to older bands like The Stooges, Blue Cheer, and The Kinks. Those bands are going to last much longer than the new trash that comes out today and will be gone tomorrow.

I'd have to agree on that though, although throwing artists like Radiohead into the same tray like...as you said...MCR or Yellowcard doesn't exactly make sense.
Influence is a tricky one to judge. For example the bands mentioned already from the past in this thread (The Kinks, The Stooges, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin) come from wildly different genres, backgrounds and era's. Yet because of their influence on other bands it's now almost taken for granted that these should be mentioned in the same breath.

In the same way, I can see the point behind lumping Radiohead alongside a band such as MCR - in terms of influence in their particular arena, yes I can totally agree that each band is likely to stand in some Hall Of Fame in 25-30 years as being the inspiration for the generation that followed.

On a smaller scale, you can see that just in the last 10-15 years, look at bands like Oasis and Nirvana who have arguable inspired whole sub genres based on the people who loved their early work...and then take that back a stage to The Pixies, and to T-Rex or Slade...

In my opinion it's not possible to predict who the influential bands of the future are. For example, I don't think many people would have picked out the fledgling Paul Weller as being a future founding father of indie rock, but so he turned out to be.

It's possible the bands in your list will be the ones to stand the test of time and come out as being hugely influential. But then again it's equally likely that bands such as Kaiser Chiefs or Arctic Monkeys will, based purely on commercial success. Or that bands such as Air, or Belle and Sebastian, who enjoy critical acclaim but little else, will be hugely influential and sneak up on the blind side.

I guess it's an interesting debate, if ultimately self defeating, as the only real answer is, they all are to somebody, which is a bit lame.
anyone mention Sonic Youth?
AIM - JanesAdd1cti0n

The Rain And Snow

We've been reduced to ruin in this noncalibrated earth that has stumbled upon us.
Quote by markdirt

The Beatles aren't very good, anyways. The only great albums they had were Please Please Me, Meet the Beatles, and Rubber Soul.

Don't you just like to stir things up.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Sonic Youth?
Pixies?
Beck?
Pavement?
Neutral Milk Hotel?
Sleater-Kinney?
Artic Monkeys?
just kidding on that last one!

Doolittle, you must move to Texas and start a band with me.

TV On The Radio
Wilco
all of the leftovers from that garage rock revival (The White Stripes, The Strokes, The Hives etc.)
Sonic Youth
The Replacements

Damn you, you took all the good ones.
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Doolittle, you must move to Texas and start a band with me.

TV On The Radio
Wilco
all of the leftovers from that garage rock revival (The White Stripes, The Strokes, The Hives etc.)
Sonic Youth
The Replacements

Damn you, you took all the good ones.

hehe you got some good ones too! the Strokes are pretty important, to me as well as others

Quote by markdirt
I'm gonna have to tear you apart. That list is pretty atrocious, but it depends what music you're dealing with. In terms of radio rock, sure, they'll be influencial. Then again, so will MCR and Yellowcard. Radiohead and the like are not great bands.

We can't ignore japanese nu jazz either.

You're actually a complete idiot. Congratulations on completely ignoring bands that might actually have an impact on music while replacing them with your favourite obscure punk bands.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

^+1

of course markdirt is the same guy who said the beatles werent that good?
how can you fit your head through a door?
Quote by stjoejake

Radiohead

Radiohead is the best band that hasn't disbanded yet. As for the rest of the bands you mentioned...even I can write better songs than them. Modern music sucks horribly. It's the worst and is beaten by every other decade.
i totally agree, we are unable to ignore the impact that japanese nu jazz has had on popular western music. it has entirely changed what people listen to.
Some bands that I think will have a strong impact on the future of music are Nirvana, Radiohead, The White Stripes, Oasis, The Strokes...I'm sure there are many more.

Also: The Red Hot Chili Peppers, MAYBE the Mars Volta, and maybe the Arcade Fire.

There are tonnes more I tihnk.
tezhall gets the idea.

hmm trouble is that everyone is looking far too quickly at the most popular commercial successes of the era. While ignoring the ones that will actually be of inspiration in the future, theres no way you can lump the likes of MCR in this list, they are a fad band, and whiel they spark a generation of similar bands, it will die, and quickly. All we've seen from the Blink craze is a few semi-successful bands, yet none made that impact. Hence why Blink can be the only ones on the list. It is those that dare to be different. The Mars Volta are an obvious choice, Radiohead an obvious choice along with the likes of Arcade Fire (who I believe will be around for a long while yet) Co&Ca are sparking a wave of "concept" albums, and while that isn't original in itself, its re-defining the likes of Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and David Bowie for the modern era. Tv on the radio are not influential, they are influenced. further to add, the Blood Brothers spark so many new bands, and already hailed as a huge influence.

None of us can really say who will be an influence in the future, though.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Last edited by The Hurt Within at Mar 13, 2007,
definitely forgot arcade fire. i feel like theyre going to be a very influential band. the chili peppers definitely have to be mentioned, even though they seem to be regurgitating material at this point. also, if i may bring billy talent into the discussion. i think they have the potential to reshape the punk genre.

again, the point of this thread wasn't to bash any artists' music. its a debate about the impact the artists will have on the future of rock. feel free to debate their importance, but leave the "talent" argument out of it, because it's not only subjective, but more importantly irrelevant to the discussion.
Quote by stjoejake
definitely forgot arcade fire. i feel like theyre going to be a very influential band. the chili peppers definitely have to be mentioned, even though they seem to be regurgitating material at this point. also, if i may bring billy talent into the discussion. i think they have the potential to reshape the punk genre.

again, the point of this thread wasn't to bash any artists' music. its a debate about the impact the artists will have on the future of rock. feel free to debate their importance, but leave the "talent" argument out of it, because it's not only subjective, but more importantly irrelevant to the discussion.

I agree that Billy Talent has a lot of potential.

And I do admit that most bands like MCR and blink 182 were/are just part of a fad. Though I can personally see MCR overcoming the emo trend seeing as the latest album was actually 10 times better than the other stuff I've heard from them.

So my personal list would be:
-Nirvana
-Arcade Fire
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Billy Talent
-Mars Volta
-Radiohead
-White Stripes
-Oasis
-The Strokes

I also think that some other bands that could have a strong impact would be:
-Franz Ferdinand
-Sigur Ros
-Sonic Youth

And, Im also sure that any people who are still around from the 60s/70s will sontinue to have a strong impact (Clapton, Dylan, Young).
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
White Stripes
U2 (still together )
Kaiser Chiefs
Radiohead
Green Day

not that I like all of the bands I mentioned...
i think the band modest mouse will prove influentical becuase they have quite a few thinks going for them
1. they have had some main stream success which you need to influence a large group of youth bands just starting out
2. they have done changes to their sound and evolved
change is needed to move on and grap more people and make a bigger impact in the long run
3. not the best reason but they have johnny marr who was half of one the most influentcial song writing teams of all times
the smiths
many of you have mentioned radiohead but it was the smiths that influenced radiohead to start
also any band that makes it big and bring attention to a genre will lead to more new involvement in that genre
even if that band is not the best it can still influence people to look into that genre to find better stuff
many of you dislike dragonforce but they have brought much attention to the metal genre which could lead kids into giving more "respected" metal bands a listen and leading to more metal bands imerging
Quote by markdirt

Good job shooting your credibility to hell there.
And to the guy above:::

I love modest mouse, but I hope you're wrong.
Anyone doing Isaac Brock other than Isaac Brock is just a bad idea.
Quote by Tsunoyukami
I agree that Billy Talent has a lot of potential.

And I do admit that most bands like MCR and blink 182 were/are just part of a fad. Though I can personally see MCR overcoming the emo trend seeing as the latest album was actually 10 times better than the other stuff I've heard from them.

So my personal list would be:
-Nirvana
-Arcade Fire
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Billy Talent
-Mars Volta
-Radiohead
-White Stripes
-Oasis
-The Strokes

I also think that some other bands that could have a strong impact would be:
-Franz Ferdinand
-Sigur Ros
-Sonic Youth

And, Im also sure that any people who are still around from the 60s/70s will sontinue to have a strong impact (Clapton, Dylan, Young).

Sonic Youth have already influenced more bands than any on your list, besides RHCP & Nirvana who influceneced tons of garabge that sounds the same IMO

Quote by Doolittle
Sonic Youth have already influenced more bands than any on your list, besides RHCP & Nirvana who influceneced tons of garabge that sounds the same IMO

I agree that Sonic Youth have been one of the most influential bands on the list - and I also think that a lot of the band influenced by Nirvana and RHCP have actually turned out to be fairly standard or unoriginal, but I still love both Nirvana and RCHP.

I also think that Modest Mouse could prove to be quite influential, and that Dragonforce will definitley be a big influence (but mainly only in the metal genre).
yeah, i think that same, they've influneced millions of bands, but two words- Cookie Cutter. they're generic like you said.

Quote by Saif Mehdi
Radiohead is the best band that hasn't disbanded yet. As for the rest of the bands you mentioned...even I can write better songs than them. Modern music sucks horribly. It's the worst and is beaten by every other decade.

If you can write ONE song better than Jesse Lacey's worst, I'll bow down to you.

I would like to think that future generations will be influenced by the bands listed (Brand New and Radiohead in particular), but influence is unpredictable as previously stated. I'm sure no one thought that the Kinks would have such a big affect on future generations when they were playing.
My list would have to include the Velvet Underground, for sure. They broke standards. As well as Pavement. Slanted & Enchanted was pure genius. Then there has to be Radiohead. Radiohead, has to be one of the best Alternative bands in history. I guess that's how my list would be.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
My list would have to include the Velvet Underground, for sure. They broke standards. As well as Pavement. Slanted & Enchanted was pure genius. Then there has to be Radiohead. Radiohead, has to be one of the best Alternative bands in history. I guess that's how my list would be.

yeah deffinetly VU but i think the TS was talking about band that are active or have been disbanded in the last 20 years

-The Sound of Animals Fighting
-The Fall of Troy
-Circa Surive
-Dance Gavin Dance

all of those bands have tried something new and done a rather good job of it. some of the probobly will not be influental in the future, but should be.
Quote by Drewski2113
-The Sound of Animals Fighting
-The Fall of Troy
-Circa Surive
-Dance Gavin Dance

all of those bands have tried something new and done a rather good job of it. some of the probobly will not be influental in the future, but should be.

Agreed. All great band that have influenced me as well.
Radiohead
The Pixies
Of Montreal
Neutral Milk Hotel
Sparklehorse
without a doubt RADIOHEAD- no explanation needed

i feel that at the drive in and the mars volta -will be remembered and be considered influential, I can already hear their influences on tons of bands these (for better or worse)

elliott smith- One of the single most talented song writers i've ever heard. i wish i could write anything nearly as well as he did, i feel that he has already cemented himself in music history to some extent. RIP.

The flaming lips- they have one of the most unique takes on traditional pop music that i love it. everything from their early alternative noise rock (clouds taste metallic, tramissions from a satellite heart) to their weird concepts albums (zareika) to the gloriusly rejuvenated mellow pop songs of their last 3 albums( soft bulletin, yoshimi, at war with the mystics) they've proven to have lasting power and then some.

Pixies- the fathers(and mother) of the more traditional alternative/indie rock scene with out which countless other bands would not be around.

bands i wish to be influential on the future:
modest mouse
smashing pumpkins
sigur ros
the white stripes
john fruscainte
wilco
Page 1 of 3