Ok, so I need a new pair of pickups for my epiphone, I'm sorta metall-izing it.
So basically it's a maghony, neck-through guitar, with a vibrola stop-piece (soon to be changed to a floyd). I'm lookin' for a metallica-megadeth tone, with some slash-zakk-dave murray leads tossed in for good measure. I've been lookin' in to the Swineshead Venom and Warthog and the Bare Knuckle Nailbomb and Painkiller. Haven't really had time with Seymours and DiMarzio, but I'm open to everything, except active's, which I find too sterile. Also, I don't think I would sound any good on an evoulution, simply beacuse i'm not really good enough to do that pup justice.

So, based on this, what bridge and what neck pick-up should I consider?

Also, I currently own a peavey bandit, but I'm looking in to buying a jcm 800 some time soon.
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
(Soon to be gone) Peavey Bandit 112
Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (1993)
Framus 212 (V30's)
i am definetly with bare knuckles. try out the miracle man set they are my favs and are very versatile. especially through a JCM 800.

as for duncans a Distortion in the bridge and a jazz in the neck is an amasing combination.

im saving up for a set of miracle mans and a jazz at the moment. but i need to get a wah and a tube screamer first
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
for a slash type tone put some alnico II pros in the bridge position, get's that really nasally sound, and i'm pretty sure zakk uses's EMG's, but i don't know which ones, i think he has his own custom ones that are sold, i dont know about the other ones cuz i dont listen to them
emgs ftw. zakk wylde set - 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck.
Quote by Twist of fate
Thank god! For a sec I thought I lost my virginity to a stuffed animal christmas dog!

^ Do you know who that is? It's the guitar player from Fall Out Boy.
How is the Nailbomb compared to the Painkiller in bridge? And how are those compared to the Warthog? Leaning pretty heavily towards the Warthog in the neck.
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
Quote by Revrend.
Ok, so I need a new pair of pickups for my epiphone, I'm sorta metall-izing it.
So basically it's a maghony, neck-through guitar, with a vibrola stop-piece (soon to be changed to a floyd). I'm lookin' for a metallica-megadeth tone, with some slash-zakk-dave murray leads tossed in for good measure. I've been lookin' in to the Swineshead Venom and Warthog and the Bare Knuckle Nailbomb and Painkiller. Haven't really had time with Seymours and DiMarzio, but I'm open to everything, except active's, which I find too sterile. Also, I don't think I would sound any good on an evoulution, simply beacuse i'm not really good enough to do that pup justice.

So, based on this, what bridge and what neck pick-up should I consider?

Also, I currently own a peavey bandit, but I'm looking in to buying a jcm 800 some time soon.

You really wouldn't want to IMO, the LP will lose ALOT of sustain.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
You really wouldn't want to IMO, the LP will lose ALOT of sustain.

It's a Firebird with a vibrola.
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
Whoa whoa whoa.

I just 0wned myself there...

EDIT: I think the Warthog is the highest output pickup from Swineshead, I've heard.

EDIT2: You live in Europe, right? If not, I'd consider SD and Dimarzio (unless if budget is unlimited).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Mar 12, 2007,
I have an onld Peavey Bandit knocking around and I've never liked the sound I got, however once I swapped pickups it was a damnsight better. I wouldn't go for the Venom for the styles you've mentioned, Warthog bridge and a Condor neck would probably be the best bet. Same for the BK's, don't restrict yourself to the high-output models, look at the Cold Sweat and VHII models too.

As far as Dimarzios go, Norton bridge/Breed neck or a Breed pair, Duncans...Custom 5/59 set.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Honestly, you're bettter off asking the guys on the BKP forums. They're quite knowledgable and they really do know what they're talking about.

Send Tim an Email too, he led me into buying Mules and they're awesome pups.

Good luck though, BKP's are tight.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Revrend.
Leaning pretty heavily towards the Warthog in the neck.

Consider the Condor for the neck, it's the Alnico 2 of the Swineshead range and thru my JCM800 I get a good "Slash" lead tone from it. The Warthog in the bridge is good for AC/DC thru to Metallica on the same amp.
I have already decided to get the Warthog for the neck, for the bridge I'm considering a Nailbomb, a Painkiller or another Warthog.

Comments?
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
I have already decided to get the Warthog for the neck, for the bridge I'm considering a Nailbomb, a Painkiller or another Warthog.

Comments?

As above, I think it's the wrong choice - you're not going to get those Slash -type lead tones from the Warthog, it's too high output. It's easy to add gain to your sound if the pickups aren't quite hot enough, but it's a ballache to calm things down if they're too hot. The Nailbomb and Painkiller are also both really high output models and I honestly don't think they're what you're looking for based on your original post...a Warthog is more than powerful enough for the tones you want. All you'll be doing is sacrificing the sound you want for the sake of having bigger numbers on the spec-sheet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
As above, I think it's the wrong choice - you're not going to get those Slash -type lead tones from the Warthog, it's too high output. It's easy to add gain to your sound if the pickups aren't quite hot enough, but it's a ballache to calm things down if they're too hot. The Nailbomb and Painkiller are also both really high output models and I honestly don't think they're what you're looking for based on your original post...a Warthog is more than powerful enough for the tones you want. All you'll be doing is sacrificing the sound you want for the sake of having bigger numbers on the spec-sheet.

Only thins I have to go on are a couple of friends and the Swineshead demo. Based on that, the Warthog will be perfect for my needs, maybe clarity woud have been a better word than slash-style.

Anyways, I looked in a bit closer on the bridge pup, nad I've narrowed it down to the Nailbomb and the Miracleman. I'm liking both right now, with maybe a slight favour for the Miracleman, due to some friends.

Feel free to comment!
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
So like more of a GNR, AC/DC tone from the Nailbomb, and more Zakk, Pantera, Metallica from the Miracleman?
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
And if you want versatility, go for the mules!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R