If you want to skip the explanations and such, just skip to the last part.

Well, now I'm officially in the market for a new amp. I'm currently playing/learning/jamming with every style of music under the sun from classic rock to modern rock, blues to shred, country to jazz (a bit), to heavy metal. I know I want an amp that can help me achieve most of those sounds, and it's got to have nothing to do with that "glassy" sound that most amps these days go for (cause so many people want that smooth sort of sound I find so lifeless (a good example of what to avoid is whatever Petrucci uses... I love his music, but find the sound too smooth and over-the-top in the richness department for my blood). I love an amp that can take the full sound of the guitar and deliver it, only playing with and adding to that which the guitar delivers. That's a hard thing to do with my budget ($250-300 USD), but I think I may have found something to aim for myself that may help you aid me in finding the amp that's "perfect" for myself at the moment, that amp being the Vox AD30VT.

I would love to get the AD120VT or AD120VTX for the 12" speakers, but that's something I'll have to save up a while for, and I'm tired of my current amp's inability to play most of what I want to play currently (check sig.) NOW. Kustom's are good for 2 things, and 2 things only... a few modern rock sounds, and an ok modern sounding blues thing... that’s it... It's not good for much else in my eyes... or should that be ears?

I myself LOVE the sound of amps that deliver both the full sound of the guitar, and at the same time the full sound of that particular amp. Vox amps seem to do that, and also with the Valvetronix lines, deliver versatility without sacrificing much sound at all...

I also love amps that deliver a sound that isn't "glassy" or "modern" as I call that particular sound. I guess an example of the type of sound (as mentioned slightly before) to avoid is petrucci's sound on stuff like Glasgow Kiss, or anything in that range of sound... anything with that modern thing where it's one of these sounds:

Glassy

What I can only describe as "Fiber Glass distortion" or "Scratched Glass distortion" which is used by most artists today, notably Evanescence, Jeremy Camp, Satriani, Seether etc. Imagine running your hands over such as I've described... it's that kind of feel in the sound of the music I want to avoid.

US High-Gain, and most high-gain sounds, including rectifier and such sounds...

What I can only describe as "slightly Melted Fiber Glass distortion" or "slightly Melted 'Scratched Glass' distortion", such as Korn, Tool, some Metallica, the rest of Petrucci's stuff including his Dream Theater work. Again, imagine running your hands over that to get what I mean.

Stuff like that I want to avoid like the plague. Not only do EVERYBODY and their grandpa use stuff like that, I also find the sounds annoyingly lifeless. While the music itself is full of soul and life, the sound just seems sucked out of most of the music I find these days, including some of the greatest bands of all time (Metallica, dream theater, Satch, etc.)

I find myself more drawn towards the sounds of the old greats such as Dire Straits, SRV, Zeppelin, Floyd, AC/DC... and even some cleaner sounding bands and artists such as Eric Johnson, Steve Vai (kind of), Hendrix doing All Along the Watch Tower (his only master piece according to me, the rest was sloppy work , though still AWESOME stuff), and even though it's overdriven still clean-ish Jethro Tull's Locomotive Breath (live at the Madison Square Gardens sound, if u have ever experienced that, u know what I mean ... AHHH, MY SOUL AND HAIR'S ON FIRE!)

I know that a lot of that a Vox can't even come remotely close to, but the Vox seems to be the only one to go off in that direction so far. It also seems to be the only line of amps so far that can get that dirty vintage sound, but also be quite modern without being what I described before. It's also the only line of amps that also can offer a good amount of good, QUALITY effects right up against GREAT amp modeling.

So to sum this up, I'm looking for a quality modeling amp without digital, modern, glassy, or other (to myself) crappy and/or annoying sounds. My budget is $250-300 USD, and I've found the amp that I'm aiming for currently, the Vox AD30VT. Though I have found what I'm aiming for, I come here with flexibility in mind... considering what I described above in what I dislike. What amps do you guys suggest?

EDIT:

I also don't want to get an amp that, to borrow and modify a quote from a famous artist, "sounds like shit ripping through someone's trousers"... (MG, Spider II, etc)

JFYI: I LOVE most of the bands I've listed in both the sounds I like and in the ones i don't. The reason I mention what I have is only that I am tired of the same ol' sounds, to the point they annoy me at the moment... (over play on my account)
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Well actually its pretty much decided, the valvetronix is the one.

The other modeller amp is the Roland cube but im pretty sure you're better off with the valvetronix, although you should try it out.

I suggest a used Ad50vt, you seem to like the 12" speaker (its Celestion designed) and tons of people think the ad30vt speaker is shit.
So what, there's only one modeling amp that does this, all the rest are digital ones?

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Mar 13, 2007,
Let me be the first to thank you for actually explaining what you want in an amp instead of just posting "I play metal k maximum $400 lol" like just about everyone else on the forum.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Outside Octaves
So what, there's only one modeling amp that does this, all the rest are digital ones?

generally speaking modeling amps are all digital anyway.
Well its kinda that and the cube if you want decent modelling.

You see the other great super versatile amp would be a line 6 vetta but thats of course out of your price range.

At least me personally i don't know any other GOOD modellers but its always a good idea to go to guitar center and try out everything.
Yea, it is definatly a good idea to try everything, and then try the rest out .

And Your Welcome. I know the frustration of trying to help someone who just comes on asking "I need a new amp, what do you guys recommend," or "OH NOOOZ!!!! My amp went coputz! Can someone recommend an amp!?" and what not... heh.

And while it is true that all modelers are digital, what I ment when I said digital is "completely digital," as in no tube section at all, completely solid state.

Personally, I wish I could afford several REALLY GOOD tube amps (Marshall JCM series, a Plexie or two, an Orange turned upside down {supposedly what Iommi did to get that killer sound, don't know how it would have helped, but who knows with tubes }, and eventually when I get back into that high gain and/or glassy tone, a recto model of some sort, or some other high-gain thing), and a good many stomp boxes (Proco RAT, USA Big Muffs, Vox McCoy wah, digitek whammy, mxr phaser, etc...)

But sadly, all I can afford currently is at most the Vox AD50VT...

Right now I plan on getting the 30 untill I can afford to trade the 30 in and get the 50. Then eventually when I've saved up enough, I will trade that 50 in and get one of the blue-face Vox models like the AD120VTX-212 or get the 120 blue-face head and get a Fullstack to hook up to it... But for right now it seems the 30 will be what I get, unless I change my mind at guitar center, or wherever I end up (I'll have to go a county or two over to get to a guitar center... there's a store in town that has the vox's, but not near the selection of a guitar center...)

So that definatly is my only 2 choices then?

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Mar 13, 2007,
Quote by Outside Octaves
Right now I plan on getting the 30 untill I can afford to trade the 30 in and get the 50. Then eventually when I've saved up enough, I will trade that 50 in and get one of the blue-face Vox models like the AD120VTX-212 or get the 120 blue-face head and get a Fullstack to hook up to it...

Financially, this is a terrible plan. You'll get killed at the store on a trade in, and the resale on any hybrid/SS amp is not nearly as good as the resale on an all tube model.

I highly recommend you scratch and save and then chew 'em down at Guitar Center (they WILL come down on price!) and get the 50 first.

From there, I think the move will be to an all tube amp and some of the stomp boxes you mentioned above. You'll decide that for yourself, of course, but I suspect you'll get tired of the modeler's sound before you choose to upgrade to a larger one.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well, still... I did absolutely love the sound of the bluefaced 2x12 vox I played up at a local store when they sold them... I didn't like the blackfaced ones as much, but I still enjoyed them alot more than I do my current amp. Everytime u crank this amp of mine, it just get's to sounding SS... unlike cranking the vox valvetronix amps and what not... heh... though this kustom is good for a few things, thus my decision to keep it for now... Thus why I want to trade my way up...

And if I trade my amp in, if it cost say 250, I should at least get what... 125-180 back on it at the very least?

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
And if I trade my amp in, if it cost say 250, I should at least get what... 125-180 back on it at the very least?

Maybe $100. Maybe. Remember, they're only buying it back to resell it for a profit, and it's only going for about $165 or so on the used market right now.

If your budget goes up to $300, and Guitar Center is negotiable, then you're pretty close to the AD50 right now. Or you could look for one of those used.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Ok... I guess this all depends now on what I bring home this week on the ol' pay-stub...

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Damn, and now I got fired cause I fell behind the line (working for elextrolux making fridgidair
frides), and had to ask for help a few times...

So I may only be able to get the 30 ... but... does Guitar Center have a lay-a-way program?

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
Damn, and now I got fired cause I fell behind the line (working for elextrolux making fridgidair
frides), and had to ask for help a few times...

So I may only be able to get the 30 ... but... does Guitar Center have a lay-a-way program?

Yes, guitar center has a layaway program.

From what I've heard, the 50 REALLY is an improvement over the 30. you should look into it definitely.

It'll only take how long to get the rest of the dough?? another couple weeks?
The big problem with lay-a-way is that you don't have as much negotiating power as when you're paying with cash. You definitely want to bargain with them, they'll come down 10-15% without much of a fight.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well then there's the problem...

I Don't have the money to get this in one go...

Hell, I have no idea how to bragon down the price myself at all...

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
Hell, I have no idea how to bragon down the price myself at all...

Sure you do. You ask the guy, "How much is this again?"

He says, "$400"

You say, "Really? I was hoping to pay closer to $300."

He'll come back with a price. If he doesn't come back with one you like, ask to speak to a manager. Guitar Center builds in room to bargain. You gotta do it.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Hmm...

Is asking 200 WAY too low? or what? I mean, like... as I said, beyond what u just gave me I don't know how to barter... Never done it before... I've always just payed sticker price on everything I buy... unless the guy at the locale store gives me the so called 'student price' ... though only cause/when he offers it (the owner of the store)..

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Mar 17, 2007,
You want to give them a reasonable offer. Half really isn't reasonable.

Like I said, they have it built into the price to bargain. Before you start to talk to anyone, figure out in your head what a 15% discount on the price they're asking would be, and make that you're ultimate target. That's why I start at about a 25% discount. Let them negotiate up from there, but not too far.

And never pay the sticker price again on anything bigger than picks and strings.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ Yeah! Go for it!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
K, I just don't want to look like a fool when I go to do this is all... Though I might be a bit of a took myself (to be a took, is to be a fool ... gota love J.R.R. Tolkien )... I would rather not seem that way to the salesman and end up paying anything below 15% off...

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!