I plan on making some home recordings of my songs and then maybe distributing them to friends and family and post some of them on the Internet. My question is, is a copyright really necessary? I don't feel like paying $45 for every song I have. I want to play live as well and maybe send the songs to a label or something, but until then is copyright something I should really be worrying about?
Some people will tell you to mail it to yourself, don't listen to them.

You don't need to pay $45 for every song, you can put all the songs on one cd and send that in as a sound recording. All content on the CD will be copyrighted at that time.

Registering with the Copyright office gives you 5 rights that you need, although as soon as you write something it belongs to you. I'm eating a ham sandwich and watching tv right now, so if you any other questions, let m eknow.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
i guess my biggest question is just, is it worth it? it's a different world these days with internet. back in the day you could make a cassette of songs and send them around select circles. now i could put up a song and some guy in japan could listen to it 5 minutes later. i just want to make sure i know what i should do
what you do is mail it to yourself with date and time stamped somewhere. This proves you were the first one to have it. Under the the copyright, design and patents act you are the owner.
Personally, unless you plan a need to sue someone later for infringement, it's not worth it. There are a bunch of different forms of copyright. Sending in your CD is copywriting the sound recording, I'm not sure if it effects the 'underlying work' as it is called. As far as owning the "song", it belongs to you the moment you create it. How many stories do you hear about some poor schmuck that didn't copyright his song and lost out on millions? None, because it never happens.
Quote by tagyoureit
How many stories do you hear about some poor schmuck that didn't copyright his song and lost out on millions? None, because it never happens.

There are a few stories actually. They all have to do with infringing on the copyright. This usually happens when people claim they wrote a song before someone else did. I remember reading about Beyonce and Britney Spears, and how some unknown claimed they wrote some of the songs that were given credit to other writers. I can see some people don't read what I write.

Mailing something to yourself may prove that you mailed it to yourself. But do you really believe $1.35 postage is going to carry in court? You will get laughed out of the courtroom. Also if you register with ASCAP or BMI, they always say to copyright your songs before registering them on the site. There are also reasons why major record labels will NOT accept your demo.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
I talked to a solicitor about this when I was on work experience. He said the easiest way to do it would be to use a recorded delivery to send it to yourself and don't open it. You won't actually own the copyright or whatever but it should stand up in court as its nearly irrefutable evidence that you had that song written and recorded on or before that date. As long as you use a reputable company to send it to you, he said it should stand up.

Maybe it's different in other countries or maybe the solicitor was completely wrong, idk.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.