Whenever i solo i always end up back in the pentatonic scale, what are some other scales that i can solo in? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."~Jimi Hendrix...
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH PENTATONICS, only your attitude. Jimi Hendrix himself probably didn't know and Aeolian mode from a dominant 7th scale, but, to answer your question, listen carefully to a rhythm figure, maybe pentatonics are that it needs, but, also try the Aeloian mode, dominant 7th (dorian), and the harmonic and melodic minor scales. (melodic minor= b3 and harmonic minor= b3, b6)
Well... Blues, Minor, Major, Harmonis Minor, Lidian mode, Dorian mode, Exolidian mode... Look up the "circle of fifths" with the minor notes in the middle.

Those minor notes are the relative minors to the major notes parralell to them. Just changing into those minor notes' scales can really make a different.

Also try changing your rythym patterns. Solos can sound completely different even though the notes may be the exact same, but if you change up the rythym, it makes all the difference in the world.

Jimi Hendrix played what was in the heart. What he felt should be play at the time. Thats why he IS soooo amazing.

Also try using a slide... Open E tuning--- E B E G# B E--- dont pay attention to the frets when using a slide.
My bad...

The Exolidian mode is incorrect... it is actually the Myxolydian mode...

And I spelled Lydian wrong... it is Lydian not Lidian... but I know what I am talking about.
Quote by Lemon Juice!!!
My bad...

The Exolidian mode is incorrect... it is actually the Myxolydian mode...

And I spelled Lydian wrong... it is Lydian not Lidian... but I know what I am talking about.

Mixolydian

And I don't get the how the post that said Harmonic Minor is "off topic". Anyway, learn the major scale and it's modes. That should keep you occupied for a while lol.
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Mar 12, 2007,
just play arpeggio's of extended chords.. gives the solo a jazz feel, which is one of the coolest thing you can do to a rock song
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
ok cool, thanks, that definitly will keep me occupied for a while.
"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."~Jimi Hendrix...
C minor
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia