I want a new guitar, I play mostly black metal, thrash metal and heavy metal. I have about 1000$ canadian to spend, please respect this limit, because a made some arrengement which limit me to 1200$ (beacuse of the taxes and shipping)

I made up a new list of metal guitars that I find cool:
- Ibanez S620EXQM
- Ibanez S520
- Ibanez RG1570
- Jackson WRMG Warrior with EMG
- Jackson RR3 Rhoads

Any other suggestion? I prefer thin necks, unpainted (if possible), I want a Floyd Rose trem (or Edge Pro, ZR, or other really good one), 22 or 24 frets.

I will probably keep the guitar stock for a while, so I want good pickups (maybe not the best, but still good ones)

-OR-

I can buy a cheaper guitar and change the pickups on it with the extra cash
Here another list of less expensive guitar that looks cool:
- Ibanez S320
- Schecter Damien 6 FR

Any other suggestion about this option would appreciated
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
shecter of some sort or esp kh-202 or just esp in general, they make a nice guitar man
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens~jimi hendrix

My Gear:
ESP kH-202
Crate FXT 120
yamaha 500(keyboard)
1967 fenderbandmaster halfstack
schecter c1 hollow body
Pedals:
original crybaby wah
flutter pedal
boss mt-2
Buy an old Ibanez. Stick stores where they sell used instruments.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Hit up a high end shecter dude those things rock for metal, i know cause i have a C-1 Hellraiser.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser aka Frederick
Epiphone G-310
Boss Metal Zone Distortion pedal
Crate GT1200H Head
Crate G412SL Half stack
and some strings,
and some picks of assorted sizes

www.myspace.com/todaysescape
Check us out!
You should look into the Schecter Hellraiser FR man. OFR, active EMG's, mahogany, nice neck. Try it out and good luck
Celtic FootballClub1888
Quote by sp0ckr0cks
go jackson, they pwn you

im with this guy, the necks on jacksons are great IMO and the trems arent too bad at all either, probably not quite as good as an edge pro but more and more people on here are using the jt580's and every one of them can vouch for their reliability from what ive heard (i have the jt580 as well and its lasted very well for 1 and a half years) and its a direct swap for an OFR anyway

Any jackson from the pro series is a great guitar, the SL3 being the best of them IMO although i love the look of the RRs and DK2M in snow white. if you are worried about the trem still though the new rr24 and sl3 both come with OFRs.

schecters have good specs for the price but im not a fan of the feel which is why id happily pay a litte more for a jackson or ibanez if thats what floats your boat, ie basswood and very average stock pickups. come to think of it id probably want to swap out a JB anyway but at least you could sell that for more
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Mar 12, 2007,
Dude, I agree that necks on jacksons beat the shit outta any other neck but....the esp ltd mh-400 nt is one of the BEST metal guitars I've played hands down. It's only 600 bucks! search for vids of mh-400 on youtube...the thing is great!
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
the only thing I don't like about Jacksons is the headstock, except on the warrior because it fits better with the shape of the guitar.

the LTD MH400 has a licensed floyd rose, as well of almost all jacksons.. I don't the money to change the bridge and I don't want to have problem with a cheap licensed floyd rose
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Last edited by alex3996 at Mar 12, 2007,
Schecter Hellraiser > all for the price.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
the Jackson warrior is one of the only mid range jacksons that isn't very good. The RR3 would be a good choice, but if you've never played a V, dont go out and order it because they arent comfortable sitting down. The ibanez 1570 is a good choice (a great choice with a pickup change) and especially with their new 2007 colours, it might be my next guitar. It is easy to play and a very good value.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by ibaRGnez321

+1
Celtic FootballClub1888
Quote by ibaRGnez321

true, but the best thing the threadstarter can do is try all the guitars hes looking at buying, IMO theres no point in being able to say "this guitar has an original floyd rose and EMG pickups, etc and i got it $200 cheaper then another brand that had the same stuff" and be completely unhappy with the neck or something. but you could also be in a position where you get those specs cheap and you really like the feel of the guitar as well in which case obviously it would be stupid not to get that guitar.

to threadstarter, it is VERY important that you try all the guitars if you want to be happy with what you purchase
There is no places which have ibanez, schecter or esp near my place.. so I can't really try them

But I have a strat, so I know how strat styled guitar feels, and I know that I like thin maple neck, like my strat and dislike painted neck like my les paul
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Just a note, Hellraiser FRs run CAD1200-1400 before taxes off the shelf, so it's not exactly the best deal for the price... I'd say S320/520 for the most reliable hardware and value.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
that's what I heard too.. the hellraiser fr is about 1150$+tx here... over my budget anyway
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Actually, I more leaning toward ibanez, maybe the S520 or the S620.. I'm not sure about about the pickups designed by EMG.. because most of those pickups designed by EMG sucks
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
I have a 2006 s470 and its very fast.

The stock pickups are a little weak for thrash however.
I have already a Les Paul, and I don't really like the way it feels.. I prefer strat style over les paul one. Actually, I made my choice... almost lol

The Ibanez s520 or the s620exqm, I'm just not sure about the pickups, because I will keep the guitar stock for a while..
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Pickups aren't complete pieces of crap. They can do some heavy stuff, just don't have the UMPF factor.
whereabouts in canada do you live? cuz there's tons of places that carry ibanez and jackson, as well as ESPs, which i recomend.

lamusic.ca they ship all around canada, and are located in mississauge (near toronto)
Steve's Music is in toronto... that's all i can think of right now...
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
esp/ltd ec-1000
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^ You folks with your attention span that doesn't last until the beginning of the tread. The dude said he wants a Floyd.

S520 over S620. Designed by EMG pups are passive, so there isn't really much point in paying extra for the cosmetics. Unless quilt tops are your thing. But then, I think 620 might be over the budget, haven't seen one around yet.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
^ You folks with your attention span that doesn't last until the beginning of the tread. The dude said he wants a Floyd.

S520 over S620. Designed by EMG pups are passive, so there isn't really much point in paying extra for the cosmetics. Unless quilt tops are your thing. But then, I think 620 might be over the budget, haven't seen one around yet.

o_o

Sorry, I've been having an off day. .
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
If you're after a guitar with a good trem dont get a mid range jackson. The tremolos feel absolutely horrible when compared to an ibanez! I have no experience with there reliability but having played a jackson licensed floyd i would have to say that IMO they are garbage! Very Unresponsive units IMO!
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Since you have a Fender Champ 300, you should upgrade to a better amp first. . A metal guitar won't sound good through a fender practice amp.
Rudy da Costa
Actually, I will buy the Ibanez S520, and this summer, I will get a nice tube amp, maybe a Randall (which is going to be in another thread ). I want the guitar first so I can get used to it, even if the sound is not that great on a fender amp.
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Quote by alex3996
I want the guitar first so I can get used to it, even if the sound is not that great on a fender amp.

It doesn't matter if you're not used to the feel when you buy it. If you're making mistakes with it at first, it doesn't matter. Remember, all-tube mistakes are still all-tube sounding. How do you think Green Day got famous?

Another thing, aren't those fender champs like 5w? You're Ibanez won't sound any different from your strat If you can't get it loud enough to hear the different dynamics.

If you really really have to get the guitar first though, I think you made a good choice with the ibanez. S series have amazing tremolos, which is what you want. But it does need a pickup change to get metal tones.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Dinky's are great. Charvels are awesome - If you can find a nice one in the pawn shop, I did. - Deans are GREAT. Decked out Epiphones are awesome. IF you can find a fender heavy metal strat, WALK AWAY WITH IT. I'd suggest a NICE ibanez, Like those guitars with the ZR bridge. You have a little money left over after getting those great guitars to replace the pick ups with something with a little more umph - And if you want to go all out, That pick up would be a SD LW. =D
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
Quote by LightningRider
It doesn't matter if you're not used to the feel when you buy it. If you're making mistakes with it at first, it doesn't matter. Remember, all-tube mistakes are still all-tube sounding. How do you think Green Day got famous?

Another thing, aren't those fender champs like 5w? You're Ibanez won't sound any different from your strat If you can't get it loud enough to hear the different dynamics.

If you really really have to get the guitar first though, I think you made a good choice with the ibanez. S series have amazing tremolos, which is what you want. But it does need a pickup change to get metal tones.

My amp is a 30 watt, and it is not that bad. When I'm on the clean channel with my pedal on metal zone, it sound good.. it could be a lot better, but it could be a lot worst.
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Quote by Ol'boy Rivers
Dinky's are great. Charvels are awesome - If you can find a nice one in the pawn shop, I did. - Deans are GREAT. Decked out Epiphones are awesome. IF you can find a fender heavy metal strat, WALK AWAY WITH IT. I'd suggest a NICE ibanez, Like those guitars with the ZR bridge. You have a little money left over after getting those great guitars to replace the pick ups with something with a little more umph - And if you want to go all out, That pick up would be a SD LW. =D

That exactly why I want an S520, it gots a ZR trem, and, with a bit of saving, I will be able to change the pickups for some dimarzio or sd
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Quote by alex3996
There is no places which have ibanez, schecter or esp near my place.. so I can't really try them

But I have a strat, so I know how strat styled guitar feels, and I know that I like thin maple neck, like my strat and dislike painted neck like my les paul

If you like strat necks you should make a very smooth transition from that to a jackson, i did, i was used to a strat neck that id been playin for almost 3 years then when i tried my first jackson it was kinda like "hmm this feels familiar but different, i like it!" lol but then when i tried an ibanez it just seemed shaped completely differently which seemed akward, it would probably be fine once you got used to it though
Quote by alex3996
the only thing I don't like about Jacksons is the headstock, except on the warrior because it fits better with the shape of the guitar.

the LTD MH400 has a licensed floyd rose, as well of almost all jacksons.. I don't the money to change the bridge and I don't want to have problem with a cheap licensed floyd rose

Thats why they have the same guitar for less money without the floyd....mh-400 nt
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Will I get hit if I say any Dean ML? One of my favorite though...
ZZZOMG!!!
FUZION

Quote by jimmy, the one
I haven't played anything except Master of puppets by Metallica
They're death metal arent they?

{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY?