ALOT of money and I mean ALOT for a studio. If you want to turn a room into one, basics are soundproofing, wiring, patching, and getting good acoustics which is the main thing, but the gear you can jsut buy, so its not big deal. Get mics, pre-amps, mixers, and a analog to digital audio converter and a comp. some software and some sounds to record.
well tell me about soundproofing, how do i do the whole process, or is there an faq out there for it?
Step one is having a building./

Eggcrates work For sound proofing, i think. and thick blankets.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Don't you DARE cheap out if you're going to do your own studio. You can make a smaller studio to keep costs down.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by woodenbandman
Step one is having a building./

Eggcrates work For sound proofing, i think. and thick blankets.

Eggcrates work well for stopping unwanted reverb, but doesn't do much for stopping outside noise. This site has some common myths about soundproofing.
If you're serious about this, look into manufactured soundproofing. The black foam with the funny patterns in it works wonders.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Be Prepared to spend around £5000 for the most basic of studio hardware, And thats not including a Huge mixing board your probably imagining in your head, So yeah, Lots of money =p