Well....first take down the aweful eminem avitar...but...search for any song that you like and just learn the tabs step by step....dammit by blink 182 is pretty easy.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Quote by x.tearsforhim
Okay, thank youu

And heyy! Eminem is awesomee!! (And I cant fit my picture in there :P:P)

<33

What the hell
if u want to be good at guitar dont listen to that bulls*it music
it will only bring u way down
R.I.P. Dimebag - Gone but Never Forgotten

#123 Member of the 'Linkin Park Sucks' Club. PM Whstripesrox to join.
Respect people's opinions.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
Don't push him like that, he doesn't have to limit himself to the rock genres just cause he has a guitar
Hopefully you know how to tune your guitar. If you do, the first song you should learn is something with simple chords. I started out with pop-punk, so the first song I learned was Good Riddance (aka Time of your Life) by Green Day
Unless you're into the uber heavy stuff, then I can't help you there.
Last edited by The Anarchist at Mar 12, 2007,
i agree i bet you ten to one the guitarist from rage listens to rap funk metal rock and draws his influences from funk and rap. and i noticed the guy who said to take off the eminem avatar had a rage avatar so. and how good of a guitar player isnt judged by if what you listen to. and listening to rap wont bring him down as a guitaris it will probley give him different influences to draw for making him more unique and originall

But anyway back to the topic. there are no really get good quick tricks its all about practice. you can read magazine after magazine on how to get better but nothing will do it other than practice. As far as a good song it depends on what you wanna play. if you like rap you might wanna try to play some simple rage against the machine stuff. mabey some punk. If your into metal go with some old judas priest or black sabbath thats not overly hard
Last edited by Pieceofmind019 at Mar 12, 2007,
Uhmm..Im a girl...Lmffao, and thanks guys.

The only rap I listen to is Eminem. But I dont just listen to one genre of music I listen to all types, if you go on my iPod, you'd be surprised with the variety of genres I have.

Thanks for the advice. The only problem is, I can only read chords. Not tabs (they kinda confuse me) so if any one can explain tabs?? Lmfao..

Thanks guys =)

<33
tab is easy you got six lines represeting each of your strings and numbers representing your frets. your strings from top to bottom will be E B G D A E so the high E on you guitar will be the top line on the tab Low E will be the bottom. If you have a 2 on the bottom line of a tab then that means play 2nd fret of the low E. make sence its hard to explain without showing it to you
Eh...

I've been playing guitar for 7 years. And for all of those years, if i only restricted myself to rock/metal/etc music, i would have killed myself.

I'm a huge fan of all kinds of rap, hip hop, classical, every genre imaginable. It's only given me more to think about when writing songs for guitar. Not to mention, many non-guitar-driven genres use guitar.

So...is it bullshit music? Or is your whole love for music bullshit?

Pick one, choose carefully.
Oh, i forgot to mention...lol.

One thing that kept frustrating me is the fact of "being good."

Just be modest; know that you won't be "good" for a while, and it just takes hard work and practice.

Some of the first songs i learned were Blink182 songs -- they're all very easy. And they were big at the time. Any punk/pop songs will be easy to learn.

Songs my roommate's learning (he's barely been playing for a month)
Oasis - Wonderwall
RHCP - Scar Tissue
Lynard Skynard - Sweet Home Alabama

Those might be pretty easy, and also sound impressive.

EDIT - If you don't have a program (Power Tabs, Guitar Pro) you won't know when to play each note, so you'll just have to listen to the song. I'd suggest getting Power Tabs, it's easy to use and free. Also shows you when to play each note.
Quote by x.tearsforhim
Uhmm..Im a girl...Lmffao

Whoooops, meh

If you learn to play by ear, you don't need a tab program (I only use Guitar Pro to write songs), but it's up to you
Last edited by The Anarchist at Mar 12, 2007,
The first song I learned to play was Vampire Heart by H.I.M. It's a pretty cool song, and pretty easy. A lot of H.I.M.'s music is pretty simple, but I dunno if you would like them I suppose, hmm. And a lot of Nightwish songs are pretty easy as well, just gotta get the rhythm down... But, that is my two cents.
well now that we know youre a girl nobody's gonna flame...this is no fun

Quote by The Anarchist
Don't push him like that, he doesn't have to limit himself to the rock genres just cause he has a guitar
Hopefully you know how to tune your guitar. If you do, the first song you should learn is something with simple chords. I started out with pop-punk, so the first song I learned was Good Riddance (aka Time of your Life) by Green Day
Unless you're into the uber heavy stuff, then I can't help you there.

That was the first song I learned too. Not a fan of Green Day, but I suggest that song. Also after that I'd go for the two basic classic rock riffs. You have Smoke on the Water Down, so go for Crazy Train. I'm sure evryone who plays guitar at least knows the riff. Also If you want to you could go for Metallica's Enter Sandman, It's mostly a simple song, and sounds great.

But after you get a few songs down, I'd go for some theory [notes,scales,chords,etc.]. Learning a few songs from time to time will keep you intrested though because theres definitely a learning curve while playing guitar.
Theory will help you lots. Quite a lot of bands nowadays, especially "true" metal bands, have no sense of theory whatsoever. Quality over intensity is my motto, as long as it sounds good, it doesn't have to be the hardest song in the world.

Not everyone has to sound like Slayer or Metallica, ya know what I mean?
(begins setting up a flameproof shield)

EDIT: As well, when you start writing music, try to sound unique. Make up your own style, or your own genre, or try mixing multiple genres. I like to mix alternative metal with punk and industrial, and perhaps even add some melodic riffs in with it
Last edited by The Anarchist at Mar 13, 2007,
Okay thank you

I dont think Im going to take any professional lessons as I did that with piano and I never practiced ( i hated piano but my parents made me and my singing instructor told them it would help me) so my parents probabkly wouldnt want to help put me in professional lessons for that reason.

But my cousin and best friend both play guitar so I could probably ask for their help and get lessons from them.

<33
Hmm, once I get my new Ibanez Iceman (boom baby!), I can give you free lessons over YouTube. I taught quite a few people how to start off with guitar, most of them ended up with alternative/nu metal or some form of punk
And it's a lot easier to get a guitar book, but you won't learn much about tabs
Quote by The Anarchist
Theory will help you lots. Quite a lot of bands nowadays, especially "true" metal bands, have no sense of theory whatsoever. Quality over intensity is my motto, as long as it sounds good, it doesn't have to be the hardest song in the world.

LOL @ You.

Actually, there really arent many metal bands that I think have NO knowledge of theory... Only Shitknot and gay nu metal bands like that. I mean hell, even Cannibal Corpse know something. And Cryptopsy? Their guitarist is AMAZING at classical.

Like one kid said though, stay modest, cause you wont be good for a while, unless you constantly work at it. I mean, I didnt start playing seriously till 7th grade, and I'd had a guitar since 4th. I started playing classical, and actually started getting good...
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
I said alot of bands, rofl, not all of them (maybe I'm stereotyping though, it's just from what I've heard)
True fact though, my band's ex-guitarist was bitching at me cause I said his song had no sense whatsoever.
Then we learned that he plagiarized a Pantera song, lol

EDIT: My point is that theory can help you lots in songwriting
Last edited by The Anarchist at Mar 15, 2007,
ok, well, I agree that some songs/bands do have no sense of theory. But i do also believe you're stereotyping. Because there are quite a few who are good musicians, not just fast players.

Theory always helps. Which is why I'm trying to get my friend to take AP Music Theory with me next year.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
I like Eminem and I like and I like Dimmu and Stick to Your Guns, I also like the Postal Service and Death Cab gotta problem with and open mind? Conservativeness to me is just flat out stubborn.
Quote by Opeth*rocks
What the hell
if u want to be good at guitar dont listen to that bulls*it music
it will only bring u way down

Open your mind. Not all good music is guitar orientated.
R E G G A E