hey guys, yeah i searched it and it only gave a bunch of "ONLY (band) threads". so the title basically says it all, i need some help with learning to play lead and solos. i know a couple of scales by memory, but i dont really know or understand how to use them. ive looked at different theory explanations and didnt get that either, so any tips or advice is much appreciated. i know... practice , practice, practice. But thats just it i dont know what or how to practice. HELP!!!
Quote by GuitarHero0715
yea, i know what you mean, i think it means you have balls, not sure, thats what i heard from my dad, although he wasnt sober

Quote by Sinforsale
Welcome to UG, The "safest" place on the Net.

a Tip is this: Dont Go Into the Pit Under ANY Circumstance.
well, you gotta make sure u practice those scales a lot, and try and search for notes that sound good together...also, pick a four or five note pattern, and use that as a base for your solo (basically go back to it every once in a while). If you do that, and add a decent amount of vibratos, bends, and maybe some shred picking, then you should be good...oh, and also make sure to stay within the same scales...for example, if the scale's minor, it helps to keep the solo within that scale. Good Luck, and hopefully you'll be awesome at soloing in no time.

P.S. If your serious about soloing, you might wanna buy Solo Guitar playing Volume 1 by Frederick M. Noad...its a lot of classical type soloing at first, but it helps you to be able to put solos together and stuff

Loco~
thanks alot loco, thats the best answer ive ever gotten.
Quote by GuitarHero0715
yea, i know what you mean, i think it means you have balls, not sure, thats what i heard from my dad, although he wasnt sober

Quote by Sinforsale

The explanations are rather hard to comprehend when you' read them on your own, so I'll give the basics a shot here;
Rule number 1 is that you want to follow your rhythm guitar, so if your rhythm guitar is playing a A minor chord, then you know you'll have to play within the A minor mode (there's more than one "minor" mode per say, but for example let's use the A Aeolian mode.
You'll have to do some research on modes if you really want to get serious about this, because you'll get to a point where you'll know exacly what to play when you hear the rhythm.
I highly suggest finding a GOOD teacher, that makes all the difference in the world man, someone that can explain to you these concepts, and take time for you to grasp them before throwing 10 pounds of music theory at you.

To start off, you can keep your solo simple, (BB king could write a complete solo out of 5 or 6 notes, using his box technique, read into this, very useful), it's surprising how the most simple lead riffs can sound incredibly melodic when played over the right rhythm. Don't go out and try to learn a Yngwie Malmsteen solo you first day, just stick to simple lead riffs with 4 or 5 note variations, and just play along to a rhythm t'ill you start to get the hang of it.

I really dont know how to explain this over a forum, I'm sorry if this was no help man.
Basically just study your scales and modes, to start off look into the major mode (Ionian) and the minor mode (Aeolian), you can also check out dorian and phrygian for different feel variations.
But trust me on this one, finding a good teacher makes all the difference in the world, someone who knows what they're talking about can teach you these things with ease, and one lesson could prove more productive then 30 hours of aimless practice.

Good luck bro,
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
thanks alot guys the 4 or 5 note thing ill seriously take into my playing... i was trying to make my solos with like all the notes in the scales-see like i said didnt understand or know how to use them but you guys helped tremendously, thanks
Quote by GuitarHero0715

Quote by Sinforsale

If you can get Rock Discipline by John Petrucci. It helped me improve a tone. Also make sure you get your technique down from the beginning including anchoring, how you hold the pick, and all that fun stuff so you don't have to try and correct yourself later. Trust me it will help in the long run.
Try to pick some songs that are tough for you to play and keep practicing those until you master them. This is what I did and it was fun because I wasn't just running through scales, it actually sounded like music. Good luck