recently ive decided that playing in bands is overrated. SO, im gonna record all by myself. i have a mixer, condesor mic for vocals and guitar amp, bass amps using its line out cause it sucks, and drums are being miced by one mic and suprisingly sounds very swell.

so anyways, what are some techniques/ways/order to record a 4 piece band(guitar, vox, bass, drums) by yourself seperatley?
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
use a metronome. not sure if you can record while listening to yourself through headphones. if you can, that'll help a lot.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
yeah i can but i cant get the metronome to come up its weird
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
ben kweller did it on his latest album.

Give it a listen from limewire or something.

Drum machines help, a metronome for laying down that part.

I usually go: Drums with metronome, Guitar, Vocals, Bass
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by The_Clap
so anyways, what are some techniques/ways/order to record a 4 piece band(guitar, vox, bass, drums) by yourself seperatley?

The same approach as recording a 4 piece band seperately.
Metronome, and something that you can adjust the tempo/bpm of a song. Personally i prefer cubase. And as for drums i program them myself. I find that if u look hard you can get some really nice samples
Check out www.bombthemusicindustry.com

This guy Jeff Rosenstock records all his music with a little help from some friends that program keyboards and stuff. Basically, he uses a drum machine and Pro Tools. It's ****ing amazing stuff, too; download the newest cd, Goodbye Cool World.

EDIT: I do the same thing, but I have a mac, so I use AppleLoops and GarageBand to add software parts to manually recorded voices. It's a lot of fun, and really easy because you don't have a bunch of kids to organize and you can do it your way, rather than worrying about other people trying to make bad inputs.
Last edited by n0selfesteem at Mar 12, 2007,
this is very pain stanking lol
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Quote by The_Clap
recently ive decided that playing in bands is overrated.

Welcome to the club. If you want to record everything yourself just do it. Try to use a click track and record in this order: drums, bass, guitars, vocals, the rest. I personally don't have the space to record drums, and even if I did I'm a mediocre drummer at best, so I program everything but with some attention to detail and some understanding of what drumming is all about you can get great results that way.

I get this kind of result from programming drums and playing everything myself. Vocals aren't done by me on this song though, I needed something grittier since it was a cover. These were some old drums samples that were, for lack of a better word, crap (just two sample layers per drum) so I'm really excited about my new BFD setup.

Anyway, just jump right in and experiment. And definitely check out brandonbury's site.