Page 1 of 2
so my philosophy teacher want me to bring in music representing nihilism. Need help.

For the uneducated, Nihilism is the belief that life has no meaning, we have no purpose in life. We are all just going to die and when we do, we go into a dark pit of nothingness and stop existing.

This should be pretty easy. i was thinking Blacker than Darkness by Immortal
the song title "seasons in the abyss" comes to mind, but i cant remeber the lyrics to well, but the song title fits in for sure.
PRS Custom 24
Rivera KnuckleHead 55
Budda SuperDrive 30
Vox AC15C1
well decapitated has an album called nihility so that could be good
!PRS Custom 24 ten top!
Ric 4001!!
Fender Cyclone 2
2x Harmony Acoustics
Goya 107 Range Master

Quote by x8blitzkid8x
people ruin metal like a7x.
Quote by s/ash
well decapitated has an album called nihility so that could be good

+1

den den
dennen
den nen nen
den nen nen
den den
dennen
den den deneneeehh

^Spheres of Madness
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
how about anything by carpathian forest
Gear:
Fernandes Revolver Elite
Schecter C1 Exotic
Schecter C1 Classic
Peavey JSX head
Hartke 4x12 cab
Boss GT-8
BBE 362 Sonic maximizer
Quote by Masochist_Lust
Nevermore - Believe in Nothing.

Suits fairly well.

+1 ,,,you beat me to it
Quote by rokket2005
+1 ,,,you beat me to it

*runs fingers through hair*

Yeah, I love that song. It's on my MySpace... I think, my girlfriend keeps changing it, I don't think its my MySpace anymore.
alot of nevermore

akercocke - intractable

anathema - deep
Open laughter held in distant days
Eternal stars have changed
I know that it can't be the same
There's no romance for you tonight

All our times will come
Searching oblivion
Leaving nothing but the memories of
All the things you give
They're all you'll leave behind
Within their mind

Time recedes every day
You can search your soul but you won't see
As we pass ever on and away
Towards some blank infinity

i guess you could use

dimmu borgir - blessings upon the throne of tyranny
Quote by Masochist_Lust
Sorry for going off topic, but...

Not bagging Green Day or anything, but Snyper, it really doesn't seem like your thang.

green day puts these nihilists to shame

"these are atheists, they dont believe in god"
"oh...like toki and skwisgaar?"
"no...we are nihilists, we dont believe in anything"
"can't a nihilist also not believe in god?"
"uh...i dont know"
My sig is better than yours
Quote by Snyper

"uh...i dont know"

I didn't understand a word. But thanks
Make A Change...Kill Yourself is a suicidal nihilistic BM band. Look into Chapter IV.
Anathema have a lot of nihilistic and depressing songs especially on The Crestfallen album.
Last edited by Embodiment at Mar 12, 2007,
Quote by Snyper

"uh...i dont know"

+5

"oh noooo were being attacked by agnostics!!!"
Gear

PRSCustom 24

Jackson DXMG w/ sh-13 dimebucker & sh12 jazz

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo head and matching 4x12 cab

Hendrix dunlop Wah

TS-7 tube screamer
you should just record 5 minutes of silence, and make up a band/song title like Void - Music Doesn't Exist.

EDIT: also id only really consider ridiculously unlistenable, impossible to understand, and/or highly experimental anti-music really true to the spirit of nihilism - not a well established genre full of subgenre cliques and its own set of morals/fashion/etc.

as sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken, nihilistic lyrical subject matter does not make nihilistic music.
Quote by BlkGuitarRedCar
I am glad to see that you hate everyone and not just Christians.
Last edited by Ungero at Mar 13, 2007,
Quote by Masochist_Lust
I didn't understand a word. But thanks

It's from Metalocalypse.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by Soul Vomitor
Xasthur anyone???

Slaughtered Useless Beings in a Nihilistic Dream...

+1

Xasthur (like pretty much all ambient/atmospheric black metal) have obscure lyrics which are easy to make your own meanings out of.

"Dreams Blacker Than Death" and "May You Hate Become As Deep As My Void" have a nihilistic theme to 'em thinks me.

When I came near losing my own life
It made me learn the true meaning of a smile
Black Dahlia Murder - Miasma, it talks about how pointless everything is

"in this world, there is nothing for me"

Dethklok - Go Forth and Die.

I mean, the whole freakin song talks about how no matter what you do, youll die.
I've never analysed their lyrics, but Celtic Frost seem like a pretty nihilistic bunch.

Anaal Nathrakh, if you want to scare the rest of your class shitless. Or Decapitated.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by irishmatt1992
Doesn't nihilism mean Vulgar? Cuz if it does, you need some Pantera!!!!!!

No, fool.

Quote by Embodiment
Make A Change...Kill Yourself is a suicidal nihilistic BM band. Look into Chapter IV.

+1

What about Anaal Nathrakh? They seem pretty nihilistic.

From an interview:

Our lyrics will never be made available. In sentiment, Anaal Nathrakh is an expression of the blackest part of our psyches. I have none of the pretensions of people like Dead, the guy from Mayhem who killed himself. He seemed to think he was some sort of non-human creature inhabiting this planet by mistake or something. I'd put it more like Anaal Nathrakh displays a certain viewpoint, a very disturbed one, but a viewpoint nonetheless; it's an outlet for it -- it runs as follows: mankind is the source of some of the most ridiculous stupidity, the most unadulterated deceit and barbarism imaginable. Surely there is plenty to be less than happy with there. Civilisation has, despite its achievements, produced types of people that make me feel physically sick with their pettiness, their arrogance, their blindness, their lack of scope. If the human condition is one of being eternally confronted with the philosophical "other", and being made to continually feel disgust, if existence is synonymous with an ever present repulsion and hatred for the "life" that seethes everywhere before us like some tumour, does it really come as a surprise that some people should feel less than happy about this world? No master/slave dialectics, no self affirmation implied by the act of killing, just repulsion and a desire to be rid of presentations of "life". Even further, despite already to a greater or lesser extent wallowing in its own repugnance, mankind amounts to a disaster waiting to happen. A race of idiots, ****ing idiots, that invents moralities and religions to defend inbred prejudices that it doesn't even perceive, let alone understand, and to divert attention from the fact that it feels incapable of existing on its own justification. And further than this, that were it to be capable of existing on its own as some members of the species seem to be, it would still be totally incapable of a single truly, radically original thought. It's not hard to see how extreme misanthropy would result from a viewpoint like that. However, there's a sick enjoyment taken in bathing in the shit. A perverse medium is struck between out and out hatred for your fellow man and revelling in the filth, like taking joy in a horrible disease. I would go on, but I tend to get carried away. Maybe it sounds a bit of an insane perspective, but so be it.

Damn, Dyer beat me to it while I was typing!
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by Dyer's Eve
I've never analysed their lyrics, but Celtic Frost seem like a pretty nihilistic bunch.

Anaal Nathrakh, if you want to scare the rest of your class shitless. Or Decapitated.

Anaal Nathrakh was exactly what i was thinking. Swallow the World would be a good song to play, and the atmosphere the music creates i find to be very nihilistic/anarchic/chaotic etc etc.
Anaal Nathrakh - Pandemonic Hyperblast. On full volium. Hell yes. Do it.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by irishmatt1992
Doesn't nihilism mean Vulgar? Cuz if it does, you need some Pantera!!!!!!

sigged.

and check out Arrogant Nihilism by InThyFlesh
Umm I guess these would be some bands with nihilistic music:

Xasthur
Nortt
Amesoeurs (sp)
Wormphlegm
Ataraxie
Abyssic Hate
Nachtmystium
Hate Forest

All those bands are either black or doom metal.
well if youre gonna die anyway...
i was thinking "Remorse Is For The Dead" by Lamb Of God
I think Anaal Nathraakh is just misanthropic, not nihilistic...Same with Amesoeurs, methinks.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by dead-fish
Anaal Nathrakh - Pandemonic Hyperblast. On full volium. Hell yes. Do it.

Is it just me or do they record extemely loud?I'll listen to something and switch to Anaal Nathrakh and it will be amazingly louder than what I was just listening to.
Page 1 of 2