Okay, I'm not sure if it's the way I hold it, but my pick makes the skin on the left side of my index fingernail hurt. It's the skin that's right next to the nail. It hurts as if I cut a nail too short or something. Could this be the way I hold my pick? I'm pretty sure I'm holding it properly.

edit:
Okay, here's how I hold the pick. Yes, I cut my ring finger nail too short, it's a little irritated.

Thanks
Last edited by Rebirah at Mar 12, 2007,
Do you pick (with your nails) at your skin? You might have scratched off to much of the cuticles (the skin on your fingers) causing the spot to become enflamed, which means when you touch it, it hurts.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
I hold it in between my thumb and the first knuckle (or would it be my last knuckle? whatever... it's the one closest to the finger tip) of my index finger.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by nnizzle
You bite your nails thats why it feels like you cut them too short?

Nope, I don't bite my nails.
it looks like ur holding ur pick with the tip of ur index finger, and ur nail is touching the pick am i right? if so that could be the reason i unno, i hold my pick more with the knuckle of the index finger
Quote by Burtonjp
Thats right.. I'm drooling over your body... *walks off and registers as a gay sex offender *

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by davidson22
it looks like ur holding ur pick with the tip of ur index finger, and ur nail is touching the pick am i right? if so that could be the reason i unno, i hold my pick more with the knuckle of the index finger

Yeah, I am, but it seems to be the only position I can actually pick good with, but it hurts, so I know it's wrong.You dn;t possibly have any pictures taken of how you hold your pick, do you? If not then it's fine.
dont hold the pick as hard?

and your nail isnt really supposed to be touching the pick, its supposed to be the side of your finger - the end bit on the side.

it looks like your digging your nail into the pic, so try and pivot your finger to make it more flat.

just a suggestion =]
Hmm, I hold the pic the same as you but I only get pains when my nail is far too short.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Take your index finger and bend it so its like 3 sides of a square then, make sure the tip of the pick it facing down like your top side of your fingernail should be doing. then hold it with your thumb up agains't the side of your finger. Hope that helps.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
I hold mine tip of thumb to tip of index. is anyone able to confirm this supposedly relaxes ur hand more? Another advantage is my other three fingers spring out naturally so i can pluck treble strings with them
Quote by Kurapica
Hmm, I hold the pic the same as you but I only get pains when my nail is far too short.

i seee, then dont cut your nail too short? ..just cut it a bit, then file it down or sommat? i know its a bit girly but...its for guitar purpose so its allowed. =]