Dimebag Darrell is my ideal, i can play his songs but i want to go further i want to know what he's doing and use his ideas and concepts to make my own solos, cause mine arn't all that great. I know his knowledge on scales isn't that well, but i want to know how to make killer runs like him. Like how to turn a basic symetrical pattern into something amazing like cowboys from hell, because everytime i try to make something up like that (symetrical pattern it sounds like sh*t). I basically need some ideas to aid in my solo writing to make them sound great and similar to dime's music.

Could you give me some ideas and concepts to help me with this (Theres also one big question i've been wondering, did dime use arprregios?)

Please help me out here

Thanks
R.I.P. Dimebag - Gone but Never Forgotten

#123 Member of the 'Linkin Park Sucks' Club. PM Whstripesrox to join.
i know he would improvise on alot of his solos and whenever he hit a wrong note he'd either bend it or wank on the wang-bar (hehhehe.. wank and wang..)
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
He used chromatics a lot too, and he made them sound good. Blazing over chromatic riffs is what created his insane runs, although when you play a chromatic scale slowly, it'll sound like complete hell, but when you shred them blisteringly fast, you'll notice they sound immensly better. Basically chromatics + speed and you're set for his runs. The best thing about chromatics is that it incorporates EVERY note on the fretboard ahaha, not to hard to play something chromatically, hhahaha.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Doodleface
i know he would improvise on alot of his solos and whenever he hit a wrong note he'd either bend it or wank on the wang-bar (hehhehe.. wank and wang..)

ya i knew all that
but when i try to do it it sounds like garbag
you wouldn't happen to know how to run up the neck in a way that sounds like Dimebag

like the Cemetary gates solo?

its all about practice. if you practice the chromatic stuff long enough it will sound good. he also used alot of natural harmonics the wah bar. Try some flowing chromatic stuff like in the solo to walk, and just play around with it.

Also remember its cool to be inspired by dime but you also what a sound of your own dont just try to be him.
Quote by *yournamehere*
Only advice i can give you is dont pull a kenneth by butchering his songs

LMAO
ok

Quote by DarkSonata
The last issue of Guitar Wolrd i bought had a whole artilce about dimebag and some of his techniques...if you could hunt that down i reccommend it...it has been recently so it is probably still out at a newsstand or bookstore.

Ya ive got that one
but it dosent really have all that im looking for
it merly just touchs base on the concepts of dime

i need moree than that

dimes just basing his shit off the minor pentatonic and blues (flat 5)scales. there is 5 positions you have to learn, learn these. then, know where your root, 4th and 5th notes are in all the positions,.the chromatic shit happens between the 2,3,6,7 notes of the scale...you will have to learn the previous stuff to understand wot the f@#k im on about. the rest is technique like trem picking, hammer ons, pull offs, whammy bar dives with pinch harmonics, tapping, bends(he seems to 'wobble' his notes alot) summary: learn the pentatonic shapes, learn and practice the articulations(hammer on bends etc) then work on your guitar sound through your amp, grow your hair, smoke some pot, root some girls and you will be on you on your way... and before anyone gives me some technical lashing about how ive missed out heaps..this has gotta be a good starting point right? and dude another thing is that you gotta realise that your trying to recreate the feeling of wot dimes playing gives you, which is similar to wanking,
(thinking about a girl and touchn your dick) which will lead you into a dead end man... by the time you have the above basics down, you will be on your way to developing your own shit anyway! good luck