Yes I know this guitar's crap, it's just a question of how crap, and whether I can do better at the bottom end of the market.

I went into the local (and only in the small town I just moved to) music store to buy a tuner today, and checked out the electrics in my price range. I'm looking at things similarly priced to an affinity telecaster.

Tell me if I missed anything that you should look at checking out a cheap guitar.

One guitar I hadn't considered before was the solid ash monterey strat copy. I gave one a play, and the neck feels good - better than the affinity - the ash body felt well balanced and the tone was, well, better than the hello kitty strat at any rate. Quite bluesy cleans. It's only got a one way trem, which is fine by me cos it actually stays in tune and I'd prefer a hardtail anyway and would probably block a cheap trem. Bugger all sustain, but with a body made of four pieces of ash, bolt on neck and a cheap trem that's to be expected. It's similarly priced to a Yamaha pacifica, but this particular one has a much nicer feeling neck. And it's all stained yellow, even the neck and fretboard.

And the tuners actually feel properly made, which is an improvement on everything from squire.

All the pots are silent, little bit of crackle between the neck and neck/middle position on the selector, but that's a $2 fix and probably contributed to my hundred buck discount. Picks up a fair bit of interference on the single pickup positions, but that's the nature of single coils, I've played plenty of real strats that were worse. I'd stuff it full of kitchen foil as soon as I got it.

I played each string on all 22 frets, no buzz. The note on the 12 fret is actually an octave above the open position, so that's good right? (I'm learning here)

Am I right in thinking that if it plays well, and is made out a decent tonewood it's worth getting? I'd replace pickups and wiring myself and shield it as a weekend project as funds allow.

Only thing that bothers me is the lack of sustain, but I can live with that till I can afford a real tele - hey I'm poor.

I'd probably play it through very small tube combo like a Crate 5, Fender Blues Jr or Epi Valve Junior. Very simple effects rig - I want a waa waa and a reverb pedal and that's it. Gonna sit on my front porch drinking bourbon and playing blues.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Seems like a good beginners guitar, if you like to play it over other guitars in your price range, then get the thing! Is this your first guitar? If so don't worry to much about how it sounds rather than how it feels.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by bean-o
Seems like a good beginners guitar, if you like to play it over other guitars in your price range, then get the thing! Is this your first guitar? If so don't worry to much about how it sounds rather than how it feels.

It's not my first guitar, although It will be the first electric I actually own. My baby is my 1964 Yairi classical (just about the nicest guitar I've ever played, and I wouldn't sell it for anything). For the past year I've been playing my brother's Strat and my housemate's SG, but now I'm in a new house so I need my own electric as well because I'm playing more rock and blues as well as classical. I've been playing on and off for about 10 years, so I do have some idea what do do with it.

I'm not a total beginner and I really need something better, but I also need a guitar soon, I can't let the callouses soften up while I save for my telecaster.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Squier Teles are pretty good guitars. Personaly I love mine. Everyone bashes agathis but it sounds alright to me. They have really thin fast necks and mine has the best action of all my guitars.

It all depeds on how it feels to you really. I suggest (Like everyone else always does) Just play as many guitars as you can get your hands on in your price range and make a decision from there.