OK, so I figure that one of the most argued over bassists out there is Fieldy from Korn. Some people say he's awesome, while others say he isn't. I was wondering why you people may think about him. I personally like him. I think he's unique and has skill in his chosen techniques. He's also one of the few bassists out there that you can hear on the recordings.

But let me know what you think.

NOTE: If you're going to just say, "He rules," or, "He sucks," then don't bother. I want to know why you think that. And don't just say, "He's so much better than..." or, "He's so much worse than..." I'm talking about how good he is in and of himself. There are obviously better players, and there are obviously worse players. Comparing him to any player in particular isn't fair. If you must compare, compare him to the bass community as a whole.

Also, if you think there's a bassist out there that's disputed liek Fieldy, go ahead and bring him/her up.
well, he's good at what he does... his technique is just sloppy plus the only reason you can hear him is because you uses compression mics on his bass... that's what gets his attack.

And another disputed bassist? Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne... I know people who think he's only mediocre. He is one of the best "band bassists" around today (IMO)... some people think he's average just because he's in Mudvayne
idk, Fieldy does a good job of keeping up rhythm with Korn, and I like him because of his different style when he slaps with his thumb and pinky. innovation is always great.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
I like that he's pretty damn unique, I mean who else combines lightly distorted 5 string slap bass with hip influence with a nu-metal band, or any metal or rock band
Meh, he's decent, but he's sloppy and doesn't play to his potential
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
I think he is awesome. No one has his sound, it's his own. That demands respect in itself.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
I dont play bass... but i personally feel like he's an awesome bassist because of his absolutely unique style. He's a slap/metal pioneer...?... His basslines speak for themselves. Slightly technical, always pretty catchy and always fitting... good bassist imo.
I have tried to recreate his sound and style time and time again but I don't really do much slap bass so it is near impossible.I don't know how any bass player could not have respect for the man.Sure he's no John Myung but you don't have to be a virtuoso to be a talented and original musician.

His personallity is wonderful too.I think he deserves his fame and he should be respected as an important person in the evolution of the Bass Guitar.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Last edited by kornflipsk8er at Mar 12, 2007,
fieldy is okay, his tone is unique, ive never heard it before him.

the unplugged stuff is interesting. it makes me worry about his acoustic, hes baning on it and it looks like its about to break. i should give him a hammer to speed up the process
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I'm not a slap fan. That said, I never found Fieldy to be that great. He seemed like your run of the mill bass player. He wouldn't make my top 25.

However, I think there is a mixed reaction around Noel Redding. Some people love him and some don't. Frankly, I think he's solid and virtuosic, if not a bit random.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I have given Fieldy much respect and praise ever since I first heard him (and that was before I started playing bass).

First of all, he's left handed, but yet he plays a right handed bass.

Second, his technique actually takes a lot of practice to learn to use, and even more to learn to control.

Third, he plays some really heavy riffs, and is able to stand out on albums and in concert.

Fourth, he truly embraces adding to the drums, rather than just the guitar all the time.

Fifth, he's just an awesome guy, and seems like a real person.

As for Ryan Martinie, he's also an awesome bassist, because he is able to play his own thing separate from the guitar, using more skill then the typical bassist (i.e. such things as tapping) and with wonderful note selection, while still sounding tight with the band and part of the band.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
i find that fieldy is kinda like tom morello (not a bassist but....who cares? lol).
theres a lot of people who says tom hides his inability to play the guitar under his massive amount of effects.
but i think his own way of playing is unique and quite different.
quite hard to imitate his playing style. hes like a damn dj on a guitar lol.
applying to fieldy, his alternate tunings, playing styles, all of it just makes him who he is.
theres not a specific way you have to play bass right?
some people just dont like change.

but anyways. fieldy is awesome. woo
Quote by mhylands
First of all, he's left handed, but yet he plays a right handed bass.

I didn't know he was left handed.Maybe thats part of the reason he playes the way he does.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Sloppy technique or unique style. You choose.

Personally I'm not a fan of Fieldy. All I hear from him is that clanking sound. Yea it's unique and original, gives the music that Korn vibe but sometimes it just gets annoying. I think he really doesn't play to his potential. The fingerstyle on the breakdown of Did My Time is pretty awesome. And Freak on a Leash is pretty cool too. But a few more and that's about it. Mediocre player.
Quote by kornflipsk8er
I didn't know he was left handed.Maybe thats part of the reason he playes the way he does.

alot of people are left handed that play right handed, myself, my old guitarist, MAB, and a few others. its not that uncommon.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I think his playing style is annoying along with he rest of Korn. The clickity clack bugs me.
Quote by HorridxHopes
I think his playing style is annoying along with he rest of Korn. The clickity clack bugs me.

Took the post right out of my keyboard.

That said my feelings about his style can be found in my sig...
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
Quote by Deliriumbassist
well, he's good at what he does... his technique is just sloppy plus the only reason you can hear him is because you uses compression mics on his bass... that's what gets his attack.

And another disputed bassist? Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne... I know people who think he's only mediocre. He is one of the best "band bassists" around today (IMO)... some people think he's average just because he's in Mudvayne

I completely agree with you. But i do think a lot of Metal fans, including me, think Ryan Martinie is an awesome bass player.

About Fieldy, he's good at what he does, in a successful band, and each bassist tends to have a favourite technique- slapping the hell out of his bass is clearly his.
signature
Micheal Anthony of Van Halen plays right handed while he's naturally left handed... but I could probably play better that he can with just my left hand...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I'm not a slap fan. That said, I never found Fieldy to be that great. He seemed like your run of the mill bass player. He wouldn't make my top 25.

However, I think there is a mixed reaction around Noel Redding. Some people love him and some don't. Frankly, I think he's solid and virtuosic, if not a bit random.

I always thought Redding was good. I've heard plenty of players say he's bad, but never why... But I always thought he was solid.

Quote by AudioOUTRAGE
i find that fieldy is kinda like tom morello (not a bassist but....who cares? lol).
theres a lot of people who says tom hides his inability to play the guitar under his massive amount of effects.
but i think his own way of playing is unique and quite different.
quite hard to imitate his playing style. hes like a damn dj on a guitar lol.
applying to fieldy, his alternate tunings, playing styles, all of it just makes him who he is.
theres not a specific way you have to play bass right?
some people just dont like change.

but anyways. fieldy is awesome. woo

I love Tom Morello.
Quote by thefitz
Micheal Anthony of Van Halen plays right handed while he's naturally left handed... but I could probably play better that he can with just my left hand...

are you dissing Micheal Anthony!?

he is my second favourite bass player.. he plays what he needs to, sometimes its straight eighth notes, sometimes its complicated riffs.. and he adds to the song. I hate the bass players on UG, they have no respect for anyone playing in the pocket (how many of you even know what 'In the pocket' is?)

..my first fav bass player is Dave LaRue if your wondering
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by thefitz

I don't disagree entirely, but Hendrix was a better bassist than Redding, and Hendrix played bass on several of his own tracks like "All Along The Watchtower" as well as others.

Hendrix would have been better off with a better bassist.
"what, that clacking sound is the bass? i thought my CD was ****ed up"
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
I give Fieldy credit for originality and I have to agree that he sounds good within the band. Saying that, I believe that his "skills" are very limited and overall he is a mediocre bassist and essentially a one-trick-pony.

I have respect for Ryan Martinie. He is a great bassist and he is very solid.

I have some respect for Noel Redding but at the same time I believe that Hendrix could have gotten a much better bassist.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Fieldy is decent at what he does, he admits he doesn't play to his potential in Korn, he has a unique tone whether you like it or not, and it fits with the band. At this point it's really a matter of whether you like the guy or not.

People who write left handed but play righty isn't some phenomenon, as someone else said its rather common, since I am one of those people. That factor does not make anyone instantly superior; it's simply how they play.

Also people on UG who bash professional bassists don't have anything better to do and fail to realize that instead of talking trash about them online, they should be proving it by actually playing to audiences.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
i personally do not like him
hes sloppy
he tunes his bass down so that most of the sound he produces is kinda of a percussive clicking

but he does have some good basslines occasionally
and what he does fits the music
so im not gunna say hes bad