I was wondering, what combo of pickups would be best for my JS30RR Jackson and Roland Cube 30X.

Some stats on the Jackson: Alder, Bolt-on, two humbuckers, V shape (if that makes a difference).

Now, onto the style of music I play. I am a big metalhead, but would like great cleans also (can't play 'tallica without cleans ). I would also like clear and distinctive distortion, so I hear Steve Vai's Evolution pickups do that well. From what I understand, you usually want to have the bridge pickup for overdrive and the neck pickup for cleans.

And because Alder makes a brighter tone and the bolt-on lacks sustain, do I want sustain increasing/warmer pickups?

Thanks in advance.
Bolt-ons don't necessarily have worse sustain. Crappy Bolt-Ons have crappy sustain (as do crappy set necks...)

Anyway:

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I think I have a fetish for those cat pictures.

>_>

<_<

But yes, what is your price range.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Get a new amp first. Modeling amps don't show the nuances of pickup changes very well.
Ha, well to be honest the Cube 30x is what I am getting soon... and no I don't have like a bazillion dollars to spend on an amp.

So keep the stock pickups? I won't hear a difference with my amp? Because I hear those stock jacksons suck.
You will hear some difference, just not that much. I would put that money somewhere else, although I don't know how bad the stock pickups are. If they're really horrid, change them out.
General rule of thumb:

Don't decide that you want to mod your gear until you get your gear.

You might *gasp* actually like it.

KaPow!
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^^ +1
^+1

Don't go spending almost as much as your amp cost on a couple of pups. Save that money, put it towards a new amp. I just don't think it'd worth spending up to $200 on pups for a $500 rig.

Also have you actually got the gear yet? Your sig suggests you haven't. If that's the case then maybe you should at least play it for a while once you get it and see what you think is lacking, if anything at all. You never know it might be fine the way it is, you might also find you hate the guitar in which case it would be a total waste changing pups.