im not that big on my knoledge of scales. I know some blues and a few major scales, but thats more or less it. I know a few other scales as well but they are one's ive learned from songs, solo's and ones ive just made up.

but my main question is. Should i not be making up my own scales? I'll just take a simple note progression such as fret 1, 2, 4,5,7,8,10,11,13,14 etc. going two, frets none, two frets none, or two frets, not two frets.

It seems like so long as a i follow a scale made up or not, so long as it has some type of consistency, it should be acceptable. no?
you're right. no. thank you for robbing me of some of my precious iq points. although limited, they have become quite dear to me.
I'm pretty sure the scale you named is a classical scale. I play around with it all the time.
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
Well due to the almost infinite amount of scales in existence the chances are pretty high that anything you create would probally be an already existing scale.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
my purpose of asking was....let me try again.

i know i am not making up original scales. Im saying i dont know every scale so im sure each one i come up with will already a known scale. But im saying so long as i keep a consistancy in whichever notes i choose for a scale, it is acceptable, right?

btw that progression i named in the first one was just a very simple example, i was pretty sure it was already an existing scale. as with the others i make up.
Is it a scale or not? Should you learn them all or not?

Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as what you are playing sounds good, keep going!! No need to know all the jargon. Just play what sounds good!
Quote by cbaer
Is it a scale or not? Should you learn them all or not?

Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as what you are playing sounds good, keep going!! No need to know all the jargon. Just play what sounds good!

well thats the idea. ive been lacking in my knoledge recently. Most of my knowledge ive learned on my own.
Quote by Manjinken
wow, this dude just told me to do exactly what i ahd been doing.

he more or less says dont think you need to know scales, but make up your own scales as you solo.
play what sounds right.

Not exactly, know also that he says many times in there that in order to have control you need to know as much about the notes you are playing as possible.

That means, learn your ****ing theory, n00b!!!!!
Not exactly, know also that he says many times in there that in order to have control you need to know as much about the notes you are playing as possible.

That means, learn your ****ing theory, n00b!!!!!

+1

I don't even have to see the video to know what he meant - he'll have meant that you don't need to consciously follow scales to play. They aren't a guideline or map for you, they're simply a way of putting what you play in context. You don't need to know the names of the scales if you have a good knowledge of the notes and how they relate to each other, but that's not the same as saying you don't need them and can just make stuff up. The progression in you OP isn't a scale anyway as the pattern isn't consistent.

The "jargon" tells you what will sound good...don't be so ignorant. You're lucky in that you're playing an instrument that you can learn to play fairly successfully without learning much theory...usually that privelege is restricted to the likes of the triangle and kazoo. However, if you keep thinking of theory as jargon then you're just kidding yourself, it's essential to understanding how the instrument works, otherwise you're no better than a trained parrot. Without theory you only know the mechanics of playing, you don't actually understand any of it and that makes you not much of a guitarist and even less of a musician.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com