Alright. So I dropped some money and bought a Marshall JCM2000 Dual Super Lead 100 head. I'm still kind of new to the effects loop world (but man does this thing have some tone already!). I've reached a problem, though. I cant get anything to work on my effects loop. First of all, when I have something plugged into the loop, I lose 50% of my volume, and can't even hear the effect. I'm trying to at least get my wah pedal to work (and it's not). Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong... or if my amp that I bought is already broken?... haha.
Founder of Baer Guitars - Free lessons in an unconventional style to promote creativity.
Composer
Teacher
Guitarist
I'm not au-fait with the DSL, but the first thing i'd check is the FX Loop volume...
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
1) There is no FX loop volume control.
2) Yes, they're in the right way (I even tried the "wrong way" just in case)
3) I have no noise gate. The only two pedals I've got are a VOX Wah and a ZW-44 Overdrive pedal (which, I know, goes in between the guitar and amp). I also tried my buddy's Sonic Stomp (Sonic Maximizer) pedal and it did the same thing.
Founder of Baer Guitars - Free lessons in an unconventional style to promote creativity.
Composer
Teacher
Guitarist
oops....sorry mate.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
No problem... I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, or if I'm using completely wrong effects in the loop.
Composer
Teacher
Guitarist
Okay. Just double check that you have this right.

FX Send --> pedal input --> pedal output --> FX Return

Footswitch: "FX On" (or whatever it is on that footswitch)

And you're sure there's no send/return volume on the back or by the FX inputs? I know there is on my JSX, but I realize that's a completely different amp.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Alright, the FX loop is set up exactly how you have said it... and the only thing in the back is a Effects Loudness button with 2 positions (in and out). I've tried it both ways, and still nothing.
Composer
Teacher
Guitarist
Does your wylde OD have the level all the way up?

Because if it doesn't, it may be what's causing your volume reduction because it will attenuate the signal if the volume/level is down.

Just FYI, generally overdrives/distortions and wah-wah pedals are used before the amp, not in the loop.
Yeah, the level was all the way up. The basic problem was that I couldn't even get the faintest difference in tone when I turned on either the wah or OD pedal. I do know those are supposed to go before the amp, but I am trying to figure out why I can't even get the slightest sound difference (other than volume reduction) when I have anything on my effects loop. The plan is to get a sonic maximizer and put it in the loop, but like I said, when I tried my friend's it didn't do anything but make my volume drop off.
Composer
Teacher
Guitarist
That's odd.

Usually, like people said, there's an FX loop volume or mix or SOMETHING to do with the amount that the loop is in the rig.

Does it do the same without any pedals connected ?? I'm not sure if you'd have to jump it and run a cable from the out to the in of the FX loop, but you should try that too.

EDIT

Musiciansfriend said there is an Effects Loop Mix dial. Turn that up.. you should get full volume, but with full mix of the effects.

I think something in the loop is messing with the level of signal, sucking some of the gain.

Do the pedals work fine by themselves (in front of the amp) ?

If so

Does the loop work when jumped (with a cable) rather than with effects?

If the volume is still down, turn the Effects Loop Mix and try it then, still low?

Other than that I can't think of what the problem is.

EDIT 2

The mix control for the effects loop IS ON THE FRONT OF THE AMP! Not the back! That could be the solution
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Mar 13, 2007,
I haven't seen this mix control knob. I'm not sure if you're looking at the right one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-JCM2000-Dual-Super-Lead-100-Head?sku=483127
That is what I have. The pedals work fine by themselves. Running a cable from out to in does the same volume-reduction thing as with the pedals.

EDIT

I think you were looking at the JCM2000 TSL 100 instead of the JCM2000 DSL 100 head.
Composer
Teacher
Guitarist
don't bother putting it in the fx loop. just run amp > effect > guitar all sounds cool to me. (ie, no tone loss)
I would do what you said, tester123, but that doesn't work with the Sonic Maximizer pedal. It HAS to go in the loop, or it does basically nothing to the tone... and if you've ever heard what a Sonic Maximizer can do to an amp, you know why I want it to work so bad.
Composer
Teacher
Guitarist
Is the FX loop level switch on the correct (In this case Low) level input?

Other than that I can't think of why the amp would do that.

Unless there is something wrong with the pedals (you say there isn't) then its gotta be the amp, it shouldn't do that at all.

Make sure the INPUT of the first pedal is connected to the SEND and the OUTPUT of the last pedal is connected to the RETURN with the FX Loop Level switch set to LOW.

If that doesn't work, and all the effects work properly and any kind of OUTPUT or LEVEL etc are all turned up as far as they go.. Then the amp is probably in need of repair and you should take it in to the shop where you bought it, or barring that, in to a shop period to get repaired.
no. get it checked out by a local marshall retailer, its a problem with the wiring, not the pedals or the way you set it up, it should be under warranty or a quick/cheap fix at the shop. dont haggle around and stress about it, have a professional check it out and theyll fix it fast and hassle free
I like the way you think moonshine. Thanks everyone.
Composer
Teacher
Guitarist
Sorry, but I can't figure out how to start a new "thread" on this site, so I'm just going to jump in here and add my question: I have a JCM 200 DSL 100 that I run through a 1960A cab, and sometimes the full a and b stack. Problem that I am having is that when I'm in the the over-driven B channel, I am getting a lot of hum. As I am playing (Les Paul) it is fine, but during any breaks in the song, I am getting a loud humming. Anybody know how to fix this?