ok say im doing a gig and well half of the songs are half step and the others are oin standard .///should i take 2 guitars 1 tuned in standard and the other tuned half step down ..or just take 1 and tune there
2!!!!!! ecspecially if you have 2
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

"Yeah, I'm real deep when I'm not busy masturbating or setting off fireworks." - John Mayer
You should take two. I took two to this one talent show and one of them a string broke when I just sat the guitar down. Its always good to have a back up no matter what.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Quote by Ervinr82
2!!!!!! ecspecially if you have 2

Yeah what he said. Fooling around with tuning in the middle of a show is a pain in the ass and not really worth the hassle. And make sure you have an extra set of strings for each guitar. Made that mistake once.
I don't understand half step down tuning. the audience won't know the difference between and E and an Eb
Definitely take two.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Defenately two guitars and strings for both.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
homeade PRS and tele
Marshall 100 watt plexi
thd hot plate
B-52 gold series cab
Boss NS-2, DD20
(soon) keeley modded Ibanez TS9DX turbo tubescreamer
Quote by DownbëloW
I don't understand half step down tuning. the audience won't know the difference between and E and an Eb

The singer. I think..
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Well, if you have to have it a half step up or down for each song, definitely bring two. But what's the big deal, anyway?! I assume you're in a cover band, and just to let you know, you don't have to do everything EXACTLY like the original song! Amazing, isn't it? I would just go to Eb and stay there. Just my $.02.
Bring two, even if you dont use altered tunings, if you gig, you should ALWAYS have a backup guitar. But if your lazy you can use one guitar tuned a half step down and use a capo on the first fret for stuff in standard.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by mlogans91
Well, if you really don't want to go by what everyone else is saying or only have one guitar you can use a whammy pedal (or anything in the rp series) to detune it a half step down.

^i do that

either get a whammy pedal, use two guitars or play all the songs in Eb
Can't you do the first half in 1 tuning, then the next half in the other? Even if you are doing that, bring two just incase, for backup...
lol people are suggesting using a Whammy to detune a half step, and Seagull just sweeps in and suggests the obvious that no one else thought of - a capo!!! STUF These things have been around since guitars were made and do not degrade the sound quality at all (unlike using a whammy pedal would to detune a half step). Steven your great! Still - bring two guitars.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Take 2. If you're constantly changing tunings you're going to lose your tuning stability in the short term. Basically, you'll retune and then half way into the song, you won't be in tune.

Taking 2 covers all bases.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
i didnt think the whammy pedal could work with chords??

i thought it only worked with single notes.if the whammy can do chords in a higher or lower pitch then im impressed,considering the thing is ANCIENT.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Take 2. If you're constantly changing tunings you're going to lose your tuning stability in the short term. Basically, you'll retune and then half way into the song, you won't be in tune.

Taking 2 covers all bases.

Always take two, that way you're not fannying around changing strings if one breaks. I'd personally just do the whole set in Eb, I can understand that the singer might struggle to hit some notes if you tuned up but I can't see him having a problem if the songs that were in standard are half-step lower.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Bring two, even if you dont use altered tunings, if you gig, you should ALWAYS have a backup guitar. But if your lazy you can use one guitar tuned a half step down and use a capo on the first fret for stuff in standard.

Didn't spot that, looks like I'm not the only one that doesn't use a sledgehammer to crack nuts
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Capo=best pitch shifter ever. It even does chords.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.