weve all heard people talknig about how great the song stairway to heaven by led zepppelin is....weve all heard about how the solo is just so amazing...weve all heard bout how its teh greatest rock song ever...but wh is it?
what aboutthe solo makes it so much ebtter than the other solos out there?its not as technically advanced (ex/speed, flashy tricks). its not as musically composed and by that i mean the solo is played over teh chords rather than with the chords. the music is nothing special. the chords of the whole songs are pretty simple. the whole song in general is pretty simple . then why is it that its considered such an epic song?the onlything i can think of it being better than other songs out there is the lyrics which i ahve to admit is outstanding. but there are songs that are right up there in regards to lyrics. why is it that this song is respected by so many musicians??
So what are you saying?

The more complicated the song, the better?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
technique doesnt make the solo. no offense, but i dont like shredders. the constant pull-offs, hammer ons and sweeps gets boring after awhile. its not about how many notes you can play, but its the emotion you put behind it. the gradual build up before the solos just makes you want more, and then when Page finally tears it up, its musical ectasy.

oh yeah, learn how to type.
Last edited by IncendiumMortem at Mar 13, 2007,
I dont think its the best song ever. I am sure there are more people that agree with me. Its just a good song... nothing so special to make a thread about. Seeing as its not the greatest rock song ever, but is probably the song played most on the radio ever. Does that help?
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
you do not question this type of thing god a.k.a jimmy page will smite you for trying to ruin the credibility of his stairway to heaven masterpeice
This thread doesn't even belong in here...

Expect XIFR coming in here and saying.

"This thread doesn't belong here"

*closes*

But considering it hasn't been closed just yet...the song is great, not the best, but it's still good. Why? Because it's just one of those natural classics. *Shrugs*.

I really do like the lyrics though.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by IncendiumMortem
technique doesnt make the solo. no offense, but i dont like shredders. the constant pull-offs, hammer ons and sweeps gets boring after awhile. its not about how many notes you can play, but its the emotion you put behind it. the gradual build up before the solos just makes you want more, and then when paige finally tears it up, its musical ectasy.

oh yeah, learn how to type.

haha point taken on the typing so i will make what i type from now on better
well i totally agree with you on technique making good solos but the solo on stairway to heaven is only the minor pentatonic scale. but ive never though about the building up part. hmm thats a good point but i still disagree with the solo being so highly regarded
Let me guess...

You worship EVH and MAB, don't you?

It's all preference..you consider what scale they use to determine if it's good music or not...

I just use my ears.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

But considering it hasn't been closed just yet...the song is great, not the best, but it's still good. Why? Because it's just one of those natural classics. *Shrugs*.

I really do like the lyrics though.

thats the best answer this is going to get
i wanna see you coming up with a song like that
then we can talk

(to TS)

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
A big part of it is the way that it build in tempo, starting slow and getting faster and more exciting.
i like stairway.
but i like other songs from other artists too.
u gotta be cool bout music man
like even the ones u don't really like too
i hate r&b and hip hop
but they're better than me so yea. can't say crap bout them.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
urgh threadstarter, learn to use the goddamn keyboard.

stairway is a classic. it dosnt need to prove itself to you
Don't you know, I'm the end of what will be?
Well, at least on my side of town, that solo isn't the "best" or "widely respected". In fact, go to a music shop, play Stairway of Heaven, and at least one guy will groan and go, "Jesus!"

Like off Wayne's World.
This thread doesn't belong here

*closes*

I also really should warn Teabag of Truth, but you raise a good point.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure