Page 1 of 2
I just recently got a job, and started saving up for a new guitar. I set my sights on the ESP 200FM. I got my paycheck today, and as soon as I got off work, I went home. Got on the internet, about to purchase the guitar online, and guess what?

It sold out last night. Out of all nights. Damn it...

So now I have to wait until the 15th to even make an order. This sucks ass.
loll......

reminds me of Borat...NOT!

That sucks, just keep looking around the interweb.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
there's bound to be another place you can buy it on the net
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Its a sign that you should wait another month, and buy a guitar that isn't made of agathis...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Why does agathis wood get trashed so much?

I'm not an expert on woods, but I know pretty much all of them. Or a lot.
Well, agathis is a really cheap tonewood, known for being pretty lame, due to it's tonal properties (which are close to none).
Quote by Lilldjuret
Well, agathis is a really cheap tonewood, known for being pretty lame, due to it's tonal properties (which are close to none).

Wrong buddy. Agathis is comparable to alder. It always sounds bad as it's synonymous with cheap hardware, pickups and build quality.
Are you totally sure you want this guitar? If you gave us a price range and what sounds you were looking for, I'm sure somebody could help you with some suggestions for guitars that are typically renown for having a sound better suited to what you're looking for.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
thats ok dude, you can save more so u can get a guitar that is really good... dont rush things.. keep on looking for more.... since you worked hard for the money make sure of it... ...

so... spare me some extra bucks dude... lol
My gear:

Ibanez RGR320EX
BOSS DS1 MODDED
BEHRINGER DD100
CHORUS
EQ

LINE 6 SPIDER III 75 WATTS
Quote by the_random_hero
Wrong buddy. Agathis is comparable to alder. It always sounds bad as it's synonymous with cheap hardware, pickups and build quality.
Are you totally sure you want this guitar? If you gave us a price range and what sounds you were looking for, I'm sure somebody could help you with some suggestions for guitars that are typically renown for having a sound better suited to what you're looking for.

Agathis compared to Alder? :S

wasn't agathis like a cheaper mahagony ? which is towards warmer right?

and alder bright :/ ?

my buds guitar sounds way different , (okay pickups are way diff too) but still :p
Yeah agathis is like cheap mahhogany, and as someone said it sounds bad with cheap parts, which i'm sorry to break it to you, is on the 200 =/ You could save up some more after that for new hardware and pickups but you could've been laughing it up with an ESP LTD 400 series.
It means you should consider other guitars before making your decision.
OK, well, I'm up for some help.

As for the price range, I really don't care. I can work as long as it takes to get it. Just as long as it's not like, $5,000. Haha.

My original plan was to get that guitar and put a Dimebucker in the bridge and then put an EMG 85 in the neck. ****in' versatile.
You should buy it from a shop anyway.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by DeathForAll
OK, well, I'm up for some help.

As for the price range, I really don't care. I can work as long as it takes to get it. Just as long as it's not like, $5,000. Haha.

My original plan was to get that guitar and put a Dimebucker in the bridge and then put an EMG 85 in the neck. ****in' versatile.
To put an active and passive pickup together would require 2 different circuits in the guitar...Too much hassle. You'd generally need all active or all passive.

Oh, and the Dimebucker's pretty lame.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
ITs telling you to save for a good guitar. and just out of curiosity what do you do for a job and how much do you get paid/hr?

I hope i don't sound like a pedophile cuz im only 17 and that would just be weird.
Quote by DeathForAll
I just recently got a job, and started saving up for a new guitar. I set my sights on the ESP 200FM. I got my paycheck today, and as soon as I got off work, I went home. Got on the internet, about to purchase the guitar online, and guess what?

It sold out last night. Out of all nights. Damn it...

So now I have to wait until the 15th to even make an order. This sucks ass.

i no exactly how you feel! this happened to me exept i didnt quite have enough money and my dad was gonna secretly order it for me as a surprise so as soon as i had the money it would already be here but then it was out of stock for 2 months!!!!!!!!! but because we already ordered it we couldnt go and get it somewhere else!! but its here now and well worth the wait!
#3 of the dean owners club. PM g1asseye to join
I seriously wonder if you guys have really tested the guitars? FM200 doesn't sound that bad at all , of course there's better but also more price , the finish / constructure of the guitar is well too , as for dimebuckers , You can get very nice sound of it , imo 70% is your amp.

It can sound a bit harsh now and then , but ...that's why it's a dimebucker eh :/ if you listen pantera / damage plan... ain't really the most smoothest sound out there ghehe , so know what your buying , Dimebucker does pick up a lot of sound , also annoying sounds (like my watch ticking , but my old squier did that too lol) not always of course but , just silly stuff like that :p
Quote by toddpens8771
ITs telling you to save for a good guitar. and just out of curiosity what do you do for a job and how much do you get paid/hr?

I hope i don't sound like a pedophile cuz im only 17 and that would just be weird.
It would be NOT weird if you were older? Ew dude. Ew. ;D
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
I'm only 16, so it wouldn't be pedophile. Tee-hee.

No, just kidding. Seriously. Don't ****ing mess with me. Hahaha.

But I make $6 per hour, $9 for overtime or something like that.

Alright, so if this guitar is total shit, what would you guys suggest?

Please, no Les Pauls, SG's, or Strats. Really. I hate those guitars.
Quote by Striketalonx
Its a sign that you should wait another month, and buy a guitar that isn't made of agathis...

+1, if you wait a month, you will have twice the money. its good to not burn hole in your pocket. im saving for a car, but i could get some nice guitars right now.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
First off, you bandwagon floppy-****s jumping on agathis need to shut up. Agathis is great, its just not costly.

To the OP, I would suggest falling in love with a different guitar. The FM200... Eh, not so good.

Also, forget the damn Dimebicker.
Quote by Striketalonx

Agathis = ok tone wood
The guitar in general = not so good.

I'd save up, keep working that job.
Jackson DK2M.

I fell in love with that thing...I'd buy it if it suited my styles.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I tell you what's unlucky. Waiting ages to save for a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, waiting three weeks for the shop to get one in stock, and then when it is delivered, there is a fault with it. I'll tell you what the fault is. It's a damn hair caught in the paintwork. And not just any hair. A pube. Freakin great.
Quote by Guitarislife125
Agathis = ok tone wood
The guitar in general = not so good.

I'd save up, keep working that job.

I'll agree with that..

but there is a reason you will never see a high-end guitar built of agathis, and thats because its sub-par compared to Mahogany or Alder, or even Ash and Basswood.

Either way the guitar itself stinks, and yes, I did try it at a Sam Ash once.

++

Dimebag never used the Dimebucker on recordings, he used a Bill Lawrence pickup...L-500XL I think...
Quote by Jinskee
loll......

reminds me of Borat...NOT!

LOL!!!!! best movie ever
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
That guitar selling out was a sign that made you make a thread about it, and that led to the help of UG, which will lead you to not getting a POS.

So, "Wow. I am SO lucky. NOT," I think NOT.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
grow up and get a strat
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
if you're totally into metal, you should totally get a tele. Heaviest guitar EVAR...

No but seriously, check out some jacksons. awesome stuff, good construction, easy playability, great for metal. If you'd like somehting a little classier, then look at some schectors. I think the omen series is a great starting point, and you can just go up from there.

I'm not all that into metal, so my fav schector is the ultra series, another awesome shape to look into (but thats for more bluesy classic rock kinda stuff).
Quote by dr_john
grow up and get a strat

Do you not no how to read?

NO Strats, SGs, or Les Pauls. I can't blame him to be honest.

Wait another month, and get a better guitar. Or wait a few more months and get an even better guitar.
Quote by The Casualty
Do you not no how to read?

NO Strats, SGs, or Les Pauls. I can't blame him to be honest.

yes perfectly well thank you. i'll say it again it if you like, are you hard of hearing?
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Striketalonx

Dimebag never used the Dimebucker on recordings, he used a Bill Lawrence pickup...L-500XL I think...

I think he used it near the end of his career, as well as those Krank sigs. he has. But it's with Damageplan, and I prefer Pantera :P

Anyway, to TS, I advise saving a bit more for that extra quality. By no means is the 200FM bad but you can get a guitar that will last much better for a bit more. Good luck to you!
Quote by Mwoit
I think he used it near the end of his career, as well as those Krank sigs. he has. But it's with Damageplan, and I prefer Pantera :P

Anyway, to TS, I advise saving a bit more for that extra quality. By no means is the 200FM bad but you can get a guitar that will last much better for a bit more. Good luck to you!

My bad, if anything he used the Dimebucker with Damageplan, and maybe on Trendkill, or live... but none of the "classic" pantera was really recorded with a Dimebucker or a Krank, and I doubt the average "dime fan" even knows the tracklisting of Trendkill, or even two songs of A New Power...
Agathis is probably the worst true wood soundwise. It has similiar sound to mohagany (not alder), but is much duller and has little sound character. It's decent if you play with heavy distortion, but for cleans and slightly overdriven sounds, it's almost disgusting.
The only worse you could get would be the plywood bodies Squier Bullets used to have.

Yes... I'm speaking from experience...
The power of your example is far greater than what you say.
Quote by DeathForAll
what would you guys suggest?

well then i recommend....

bc rich bronze warlock.
Last edited by echofreak at Mar 13, 2007,
Quote by DeathForAll

Then get an Explorer
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Did anyone notice that he didn't actually specify which model he wanted, just saying 200FM? To TS, you said you hate SGs and Strats, but the only models that are 200FM are the M which is a superstrat, same thing pretty much, and an SG....
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Another few weeks/months of work and you can get an ESP/LTD F-400 or EX-400 or something kvlt with real EMGs and good construction.

Go for it.
haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathForAll

Then get an Explorer

Actually, a flying V Faded would be an alright choice if you're going to suggest that route. I have one I use as a beater so I don't ding up my good one. Picked it up for $600, i'm pretty sure they're cheaper now. Couple ceramic humbuckers in them, they seem to work pretty good for heavy stuff. That'd be cheaper than buying an explorer for, in a lot of ways, just as good an instrument. I've had numerous offers for my faded V.
save some more.. here are tons of better guitars out there...

try to look for PRS (Paul Reed Smith) they are quality guitars for me id prefer it than the Gibson LP's...

looks sexy too.. well.. its my opinion..... i dont know for about the others.....

good luck... spare me a couple of $$$$ hehehe... just kidding..
My gear:

Ibanez RGR320EX
BOSS DS1 MODDED
BEHRINGER DD100
CHORUS
EQ

LINE 6 SPIDER III 75 WATTS
Page 1 of 2