Page 1 of 2
When you first started playing guitar, did you start with or change to expensive gear in short amount of time? (Within a year)
What are the pros and cons of starting with expensive gear as a rookie guitarist?

Thanks!
PS. When I say expensive I mean around $2,000+ USD on guitar and amp.
Not I.

I've been using the same $200 worth of guitar and amp for nearly three years =(
oh i wish.

i got a crappy starter kit. learned on that, and then saved hard and bought a nice guitar when i was ready to move up.

alot of people who start out on 2 grand guitars and stuff, dont tend to appreciate it as much, and dont have really know whatthey want to play or what they want in a guitar

beginners can barely even notice the difference imo.
Don't you know, I'm the end of what will be?
i dont think any1 has started with expensive gear, i still got my £120 guitar but man is it bautiful. Sometimes you just get lucky with these budget guitars. I would not recommend buying expensive gear because u may nt want 2 play anymore, or you want different type of equipment eg you buy a metal style amp but after playing for a year you decide you want to play more funk or jazz so you need a more suited amp for cleans. So wait a year on budget equipment then improve your gear.
Quote by dingo356
So wait a year on budget equipment then improve your gear.
How 'bout three? :-/
this guy i kno has a $2000+ Ibanez, hes been playing for a few months and he only knows like 2 RHCP songs. I started on a crappy squier.

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
I started out on a halfway decent fender acoustic that I have yet to upgrade because I love it so much. But as far as electric goes, got a super shitty squire after a year of playing the acoustic, played the squire for a year, then I upgraded the guitar and amp, and have bought a couple other guitars in the 2 years since.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
i still have a shitty no name strat copy (there seriously is no name on the headstock) and a shitty 15w peavey amp, i have had both of these for 5 years. If only i had money...
I know one person that started to play guitar using a Gibson Les Paul and a Mesa Triple Recto half stack. But the only reason that he had this equipment is because his dad is a musician. All I can say is what a way to start out.
Quote by yawn
How 'bout three? :-/

*pets yawn*

I started with a squier pack...I thought I was so hardcore, finally playing an electric.

After nearly 3 years, I'm with this sexy rig now . But 2,000+ gear is pretty steep, 1,000+ is a tad more reasonable...but 2000? C'mon.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
My friend in Canada still owns his first guitar and amp which is a Jackson model 6 for $3000 CDN and a Fender Frontman amp which to me is not a great setup since a $3000 guitar will sound crappy through a fender frontman.
Rudy da Costa
I started on a cheap classical guitar
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
don't get the expensive gear just yet, my friend has a 2000+ takamine acoustic and can't tell the diference between that and my shit 100 dollar fender acoustic. buy something simple and cheap that'll get the job done, then later on in the road where your ears learn to pick up the difference between good tone and bad tone, thats when you grab a better guitar/amp.
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
i started on a freebie! accoustic it was purchased liek 10 years ago by my aunt for liek 100 aud and its broken now but i got a new accoustic
I started on a $50 AUD nylon acoustic.. Upgraded a year later to a Cimar strat copy and Peavey rage 158 for $250.. Had that for.. 10years.

Then upgraded to all my stuff now... It is a pretty reasonable guitar though. The amp sucks majorly.
^*Points to the MG, not the orange*

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I saw this dude who started out with a brand new Rickenbacker 4003 and a Fender Bassman.
ive been using a 300 AUD guitar for just over two years, and a 15 watt amp (not sure how much that cost). I also have a 600 AUD acoustic... so no i dont have expensive gear.

at the end of this year though i will probably get a new electric around the $1000 mark.
I started on January 3, 2006, but I am 30 years old, so I can afford it, wish I started when I was younger like most of you though, you can't buy experience...so I guess I'll be pretty good when I'm 40

As far as pros and cons, if you can afford it go for it, as far as myself, I love playing, it just took me a while to realize it, I feel that this gear that I have now is what I will be playing for many many years to come. If ever I wanted to sell, which I wont, these guitars are a pretty good investment, in my opinion.
Last edited by hattori DONso at Mar 13, 2007,
^Wow, you have some sick gear man!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by TheDev01dOne
I started on a $50 AUD nylon acoustic.. Upgraded a year later to a Cimar strat copy and Peavey rage 158 for $250.. Had that for.. 10years.

Then upgraded to all my stuff now... It is a pretty reasonable guitar though. The amp sucks majorly.

I played through a rage 158 for four years
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by Jinskee
^Wow, you have some sick gear man!

Thanks man, you've got some good taste in gear yourself!
I started with a starter pack, then after 2 years moved up to an Iby Prestige 2550E. Im still using my same crappy amp though, so thats next on the list to improve.

This girl in my grade got a Tony Iommi squier strat and a 30 watt line 6 spider amp to start off tho :O
My gear:
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E
Schecter Damien 6
BOSS GT-8 Multi FX
BOSS MT-2
Quote by hattori DONso
Thanks man, you've got some good taste in gear yourself!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
it's ok to start out with high end gear. but it's most important to practice and get help from a teacher when possible.

or the gear wont matter, u know?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Upgraded to an Ibanez RG1570 and a Cube 60 after about 5 months (Going to start looking at some tube amps in the near future). When you work a full time job money isn't too much of an issue. The younger people here might be a bit jealous as they might not have great gear, but like hattori DONso said, you can't buy experience. The ones starting later have more to be jealous of than the younger guys. I'm 22, i'd gladly play with an awful guitar for years when I was younger if it meant I would have so much more experience than what I have now.
My electric rig right now comes to about $950, no ****ing way will I have anything close to $2000 in the near future.
Dickless.
I started with a Jackson..it was like...700 dollars..and a Crate XT65...which was about 350 when i bought it...so i started with about 1000 worth of gear...but i haven't really moved up..only bought the Randall head and the Schecter..i gave the Jackson to my sister...
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
i started about seven years ago on a Yamaha Pacifica and a fourth-hand fender deluxe 112 ( original speaker broken, replaced with a crap sheffield that doesnt even match the amp well ) and im still playing on that EXACT same gear.

for the record i play well. and im considering putting a post out there somewhere with my own sound clips about how i play on under 250$ worth of gear and still kick arss so all the young guns can stop worrying about gear and start worrying about playing the guitar...
Quote by Tiamat
This girl in my grade got a Tony Iommi squier strat and a 30 watt line 6 spider amp to start off tho :O

Yeah, I played on a shitty strat copy and amp for about a year, I upgraded to a parker P-42 and Vox DA-15 a few months ago, still nowhere near the 2k mark.
I started with cheap gear, about $200 or so. Personally, I think it's a better idea to wait until you can play before you get expensive gear.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Quote by Khemical
Upgraded to an Ibanez RG1570 and a Cube 60 after about 5 months (Going to start looking at some tube amps in the near future). When you work a full time job money isn't too much of an issue. The younger people here might be a bit jealous as they might not have great gear, but like hattori DONso said, you can't buy experience. The ones starting later have more to be jealous of than the younger guys. I'm 22, i'd gladly play with an awful guitar for years when I was younger if it meant I would have so much more experience than what I have now.

Nice point. Yes, I started on Squire Affinity Strat + Rage 158 for 2 years, BUT, in those 2 years of crappy playing, I did learn a lot. Now I've had a pretty cool guitar for about a year to replace the Squire, and a new amp (Not so pretty cool, and I regret buying it) that... get's me around. But in the, probably, 2 years that I'll still be playing this setup, I WILL learn a lot. So when us 'younger people' get in the 20's, work full time, and get to buy expensive gear, yay us!
I know a guy that has got a PRS for his birthday before he even began with lessons... and right now... he's hopeless ... he just CAN'T play...
I should actually steal the guitar and give it a better user
I started on an old Kay archtop run into an old tube hifi and a loudspeaker I had kicking around. At the time I thought the rig was horrible but looking back I realize that it was probably worth a grand or more.

The nicer your setup sounds the more fun it will be to play so I see no downside to starting out with nice gear.
Not taking any online orders.
started on a nonameworthless acoustic , then moved up to an ibanez grx 40 with a shiddy 10 watt tone blaster.

now my electric rig cant even fit in my sig!
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Started with a Sears acoustic
Moved up to a 30 watt no name brand amp with a no name electric guitar
Traded in my no name guitar plus cash for an Ibanez RG760.
Buying a tube amp in a week.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
I've started with a Squier Starterpack (2nd hand) and now (1,5 years later) I've got a great Epiphone Les Paul (LP-100), Peavey ValveKing 112 and a Zoom G2.1U
My guitar teacher has a student that has an Ibanez Jem and an Ibanez JS. His dad just bought them for him and he already knows how to play 4 chords
Page 1 of 2