Hey!
I have tweaked my Zoom MFX to get a handful of pretty good distorted tones which I am fairly happy with.
I did this at home in my living room either using very low volumes or through headphones.
Recently when I was rehearsing I was using a borrowed Laney PL100 head and cab.
I tried the built in distortion but it didn't sound good so I used my MFX into a clean channel and it sounded far better.

Except...the volume had to be pretty loud because our drummer is loud.
When I played it seemed like I could feel that it was loud - the floor was shaking.
Yet it didn't actually cut through that well - it didn't sound that loud somehow.

I tried boosting the mids a bit on the amp and I think it helped a bit but are there any standard rules for optimising your sound for higher volumes?

I will get more chance to tweak at rehearsal this week so it may just be a case of playing with it all over again.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
The problem is not to do with loud vs soft, its to do with bedroom tone vs band tone.

Rule no1: What sounds good in the bedroom, won't with the band.
Rule no2: Visa versa

Boost mids. a lot. Cut bass too (the only thing that should be shaking the ground should be your bassist).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Yeah, those rules are pretty apparent the first time I tried, lol.
I had spent ages tweaking my patches as well but it seems I have to redo them in the practice room.

Cheers for the advice.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha