Ok. I've been hearing plenty of different stories. But I want some clarity. I personally always thought the difference was purely cosmetical but I don't know 100% sure.
Is there any difference in tone/pickups/playability? Is it worth the extra few hundred bucks?

Any help is highly appreciated.
Usually it's the wood like a flamed maple, mahogany tops ect. & little things such as pup covers and stuff.

Just buy a standard, you can't clarify paying that much extra for little things.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
i wouldnt buy a epiphone at all, i would go for the custom however in your shoes
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Quote by Jehuty
Reason? For both accounts.

"
epis are hit and miss from my experience working in a shop that sold them.
Same model and make can be different...

Keep in mind Epiphone's importers are dodgy ****s and will stop at nothing to get the shittest guitars in the hands of people who could easily be taken for a ride..

I've played both firewood and really good guitars with the 'Epiphone' logo on the headstock.. it really comes down to the batch of guitars and where they came from.. The Korean ones are generally the best ones and all the others are generally garbage. Trouble is the G-400 SG for example has been made in Korea & Chine recently and it's often hard to tell where they are made as often the little 'made in' sticker is gone.. if it was ever there at all.

In my work as a tech at a music store I've seen more dodgy Epiphones than I care to remember. The most common problems are poorly wired electronics, warped or otherwise unstable necks, and terrible fret work. One guitar came straight out of the shipping box with a scratchy pickup switch, completely dead bridge pickup, and the 12th fret dipped about 1mm lower than all the others underneath the A, D and G strings. It should never have left the factory with the fret problem alone, but it boggles the mind that the pickups obviously hadn't even been checked.

I see them as expensive beginner guitars, nothing more. I've played good ones, but the ratio is probably 1 good one out of every 10. If you're going to get a Gibson-style guitar anyway, get something by Cort. They make much of the Epiphone stuff anyway but the quality control is much tighter on their own branded stuff because they have more to prove.
"
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
I've got a Korean G-400 and no major problems with it. It does have a bit of a dodgy switch but that's easily fixed with a bit of WD-40.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If the Custom has 3 pickups, its a better choice, but if not its not worth the extra $$$ for the custom