Analog and digital are 2 different ways of working with electrical signals. What do you mean by "they sound different"?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
^ you mean... digital effects? They sound different because, unlike their analog counterparts, they don't process the sound directly, but instead sample the sound every now and then and convert it into 1's and 0's (to put it simply), work with it in binary code, and then convert it back to analogue at the output. So the sound that comes out of the effect isn't of the same type as the one that enters, but more of an approximation.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
they model sounds. it like a programmable sound. not like the original but they somewhat trying to clone the original
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Analogue effects modify your original signal, digital effects convert the signal to electronic data, alter that data using algorithms based on how the anologue version would work, then convert it back to an analogue signal.

Analogue effects use a variety of resistors, capacitors and diodes to produce their effects, digital effects use microprocessors.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Analogue effects modify your original signal, digital effects convert the signal to electronic data, alter that data using algorithms based on how the anologue version would work, then convert it back to an analogue signal.

Analogue effects use a variety of resistors, capacitors and diodes to produce their effects, digital effects use microprocessors.

wow. technically that explains it..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Digital is either on or off, 1 or 0. So when you graph that you come out with a square wave. But analogue can go to 1 and 0 as well as every value inbetween, so it produces a rounded wave like a sin wave, if you've done trig in school. So analogue sounds smoother to the human ear. More 'natural'.
...Bleep Bloop...