im pretty new to theory and i really only know one scale. i know all the majors but i find that when i write a lot of my stuff sounds the same. whats a good scale to use thats new?
Pentatonics - not because they sound the best, but you begin your soloing career with it. Its the most useful, almost applicable in any song.
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
I mostly use the pentatonic, blues and harmonic minor scales. I think this is largely because these were the scales I used before learning theory. I never knew they were actual scales, they just sounded good to me.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Im a huge fan of the blues scale. Its just so good.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I pretty much always zet in with minor, 'cuz there are sooooo many possibilities..
harmonising 7th, molodic 6th, dim5, flat 2nd bebopminor .. could go on for hours..
and with the harmonic 7th it's a real easy deal into diminished lines.. really adding that melancholic tone I like so so much ^^ but it's all a matter of taste, work your way around minor, major and dominant, and explore every possible possibility you can think of
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
I like mixing both harmonic minor and blues together. It is a very good combination. Excellent when you want a cool metal solo that sounds dark and then you want to change the mood to a little happier.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
blues scale, with some added notes.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by !!Dope Man!!
Isn't phrygian just the same as Ionin just on a different starting note?

Nope

Phrygian - 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1
Ionian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1.

Different.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
E Phrygian (E F G A B C D) has the same notes as Cmajor

C Phrygian (C Db Eb F G Ab Bb) is different to C major (C D E F G A B)
Quote by blue_strat
E Phrygian (E F G A B C D) has the same notes as Cmajor

C Phrygian (C Db Eb F G Ab Bb) is different to C major (C D E F G A B)

yea that's what I was talkin about. So you would play a Phrygian scale over some chords progression that's in C major right?
Harmonic minor - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
Phrygian dominant (5th mode of harmonic minor) - 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian (4th mode of the major scale) - 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7

They all have their own unique sounds, and all sound very exotic. I think you will have fun with these.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by !!Dope Man!!
yea that's what I was talkin about. So you would play a Phrygian scale over some chords progression that's in C major right?

Playing E Phrygian over a C major chord will just sound like C major, play E phrygian over an Em7 chord. The chord determines the scale being played over it, if you're playing C Ionian and the chord changes to G7 you would be playing G mixolydian.

I hope that clears some things up (and I hope its right, I need one of 'The Boyz' to comment)
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Lydian is so unique. It can sound pretty, happy, or it can sound strange and otherworldly when used correctly. Quite a unique combination of intervals.
Pure Minor (Aeolian) - 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7

Spanish Gypsy - 1,b2,3,4,5,b6,b7
(Spanish Gypsy is like a darker Phrygian. Sounds like something out of Dracula!)

Harmonic Minor - 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,7

Lydian - 1,2,3,#4,5,6,7

Phrygian - 1,b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7

These are my favorites!

P.S. Pentatonics are just regular scales with notes taken out!
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
Isn't Spanish Gypsy just a Phrygian Dominant?

Anyways, I like blues scales. Quick and easy. Plus I don't plactice the soloing much...
"Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
When the little sensation gets in your way
Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
Isn't it amazing you can do anything " - Gord Downie

From the song " Fireworks"
Lydian and Lydian dominant. Also the WH scale.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??