like the title suggests - i am new to the world of photography.
i've recently obtained a sony cybershot.
personally, i think the thing is gorgeous.
but then again, what the hell do i know? it was almost 300$
is this good?
well, i was curious whether or not anyone has any advice for a newbie?
how can i get those really ''artsy fartsy'' shots, so to speak?
also, do you know how to change the color to black and white?
any advice appreciated. thanks!
love, sars.
it's not good for professional quality photos but anything is a good start to build up your skills. imo if you can't take a decent photo with an average camera, you can't take a decent photo. work with what you've got.

the camera probably has a black and white setting. if it's like my cybershot, you flick the switch to the mode where you take photos (not view photos or take video), then press menu. in the camera menu go up to 'program' instead of 'auto', then go scross to the PFX menu and choose B&W. if it's different to mine, just check in the manual. if it doesn't have the option on the camera, you can transfer the photos to your computer and convert them to black & white in a program like Photoshop.

as for taking 'artsy fartsy' photos, look at other photos and figure out what it is about them that makes them look so good/interesting. also reading up on photography techniques and 'rules' like the rule of thirds and such can give you some ideas to work with.

my advice is just to play around with it and take photos of everything, from different angles, with different settings on the camera. you'll soon work out what looks good and what doesn't.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by divid3d
it's not good for professional quality photos but anything is a good start to build up your skills. imo if you can't take a decent photo with an average camera, you can't take a decent photo. work with what you've got..

Well he can take awesome pics with it, it depends alot on the post-processing and his picture-taking in general (like subjects and stuff).

I know photographers who use cellphone cameras and do great

But like divided suggested: Look at other photographers for inspiration

When I look at pics I want to see that they mean something, and they're just not some snapshot.

Here's 2 galleries I think you should check out:

www.gilad.deviantart.com
www.angelreich.deviantart.com

If you have more questions, visit the photography thread (in my sig)
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████