Hey my fellow UG-ers, i have been saving up for an Ibanez S 520 ex, but it will take me a long time, as i only have 1/3 of it collected.
Meanwhile i am offered an nearly brand new IbanezRg321Mh, ive heard that it is a good guitar, but i have been playing for 1 and a half year and is it good enough? It would be like my real own (the current one is my uncles) and i am wondering about these things:

1)Pickups, are they weak/hot or need a change? And how much would the change cost.

2) Tuning, does it keep in tune, i mean like very tune tune, so it would def. hold up one day of playing (3 hours) without going out of tune. And if id have to how much would locking tuners cost for this beast.

3)Is it meant for metal or can it play lighter styles too?

Im asking cause its about 550$ normally here and its sold for 300$ which i can afford. The s520ex is about 900$ so i thought id just have it till i save up enough for the b33st.
edit: what does it mean on the 5 way switching that the humbucker is parallel connected. You can see it on the pickup switching on the ibanez site.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Last edited by Lagrance at Mar 13, 2007,
^^

It's good enough I'd say...

1. might be a little weak, changing cost depends on what pups and etcs.

2. I'd say yeah it'll keep in tune

3. I don't think it's meant for metal and can it do lighter styles

In my opinion the RG321mh is a really good guitar for the money. I have one, and i have been playing 3.5 years and i have no intentions of getting rid of it anytime soon. As far as pickups go they're nothng special, about standard for guitars in this price range, and are probably not too different to what you would get on the s520. Recently i bought a GFS pickup for the bridge, only cost about £15 ($30) and i really like the sound. As far as tuning goes it stays in tune as well as any fixed bridge non locking guitar i have played, it will go out of tune now and again but so does every guitar. I haven't felt the need for new locking tuners. It can play most styles of music as it has a various pickup configurations.

The only thing i dislike about the rg321mh (just cosmetic) is that the hardware tarnishes really easily, but this has no affect on the sound or playabilty.

In my opinion it all comes down to whether you want a trem on your guitar or not, and whether you change tunings very often.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

1. Weak pick ups
2. Keeps tune well
3. The guitar could be used for almost any style, the rest just depends on your amp.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
I think it's a really nice guitar. If I didn't already have a hardtail Ibanez and thus couldn't justify it, I'd probably get one.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Thanks Guys, Ill wait for more answers though.
But still 2 questions:
What does it mean that 'humbuckers are parallel connected'
and is the neck set in, bolt on , or neckthrough?
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Last edited by Lagrance at Mar 13, 2007,
The pickups are the same series as on the S520, actually. They're nothing special at best.

Parallel connected humbucker means that it acts as if it were two distinct single coils side-by-side. In a nutshell, the sound is quieter than a series humbucker, and you get "twangier" high end.

It's a bolt-on.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I love you pifty, you are the best ibanez dude ever Do you work for ibanez by any chance?
But is it still worth buying if its 2 years old and it has one of the screws on the neck side pickup missing like one of the ones that keeps the pickup on the body.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
If it's a pickup ring screw, then you can buy a replacement in a home hardware store for fifteen cents, no biggie really.

If you're getting a good deal on the RG, go ahead and buy it. Since it has no low-end Edge tremolo, it won't play any worse with age, and it's a great guitar. Simple, all the right features, reliable.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Okay, so im going to test the guitar on saturday, and can anyone tell me what/how to play or test for everything, and not look like a nublet :p
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
1. pickups should be changed.

2. i play 3 hours a day every day. it keeps in tune for a good 4 days or so. and even then its on going a tiny bit out of tune.

3. it is pretty versatile, but when your changing the pickups that will determine how good the cleans and distortion stuff.

id defiently recommend it. i got mine a week ago
Don't you know, I'm the end of what will be?
I cant afford the s 320 :P And yeah i thought it would keep in tune too but how to check the guitar if im going for flaws etc neck bowing or stuff.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
The diecast tuners are good enough to hold the tunings. Cosmetic flaws are easy to see, other than that, just check for any cracks and dings. If you ask one right out of the box, there shouldnt be any problems with it.

Pickups are fine for beginner/intermediate, worry about your playing more, its not gonna be much different if your amp is crap. About testing it, its all up to you, make sure everything's working, i cant say exactly what you should/shouldnt play...
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Mar 14, 2007,
Well something that would test all the abilities of the guitar , something short with a solo ,tapping, and pinch/natural harmonics, and it should be easy :p
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
bumped :P i want more answers from people who own one
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe