I'm taking along my band CD and other stuff, but what song can i play to them? I'm thinking of possibly doing satch boogie or super collosal but i tihnk i could do something better (and i don't know satch boogie that well). What does UG suggest?
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
I played one of my own songs, they're more impressed if you show the ability to write I guess.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Bimm?

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
Bimm?

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge.

Brighton Institute Of Modern Music.

There seems to be a lot of people on this site going for auditions, is it a fairly reknowned place around the country?

Quote by ETHANEVIL

yeah, well actually they're setting up a campus in my local town but someone from the college in my town runs it so that's why we've got em over here.

and yes its Brighton Institute Of Modern Music.

so i could just make up a song or something and play that maybe?
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Quote by Stooja
yeah, well actually they're setting up a campus in my local town but someone from the college in my town runs it so that's why we've got em over here.

and yes its Brighton Institute Of Modern Music.

so i could just make up a song or something and play that maybe?

Oh cool, sounds good.

+yeah, well you do a bit of improv with them as well anyways, but can't you play one of your bands songs? That's what I did.

Quote by ETHANEVIL

i could do, but our songs are very twin guitar based, don't think it would sound that great.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

I wanted to go to ACM for a degree but seeing as this BIMM course is on my doorstep, might aswell do it.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

how is acm better? i'm thinking of going to bimm in a couple of years (i'm 16 right now)
i'm not sure myself, just heard its better. isn't it BIMM that churned out the kooks? so maybe ACM is better
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover is always a favourite. Or Friends or A Train of Angels or Love Thing or The Crush of Love by Satriani (all pretty darn easy but sounds great).
I happen to study at BIMM. I'm currently studying in my second year. When I was looking around for music degrees I did a lot of studying, and I auditioned at Guitar-X, Guitar Institute, ACM and BIMM. And I can safely confirm that BIMM is by far the best. The tutors are better, the course is better, and actually useful too. The others are mostly focused around simply improving your guitar playing, which to be fair you can do in your bedroom. BIMM focuses on getting you a career in the music industry, and equips you with everything you need to know to do it. Plus, it's also founded by 4 tutors that used to work for ACM, but left because it wasn't providing (in their eyes) the right things.

The other thing that BIMM has over ACM is it's situation. It's in Brighton, which has one of the most vibrant music scenes in the country. So many bands come from Brighton, there are gigs every day of the week and more performing venues than you can shake a stick at. Better than Surrey? Yes. And if you think I'm just saying all of this because I'm a BIMMER, I aint... I used to live in Surrey, so ACM would have been a lot easier for me.

To answer your question, for the BIMM audition I played Steve Vai - Tender Surrender. But to be honest you don't need to pull out some shred song to get it. Just prove you're a nice guy, willing to work hard and have a good professional attitude. Obviously make sure you're savvy with your pentatonics and your CAGED chords and you'll be fine.