What guitar would do the best in that area, under 500.

My questions before were pretty open and not at all specific. Would a Les Paul or Strat be better suited for that kinda sound?
A Strat or a Teli would both work great. The LP would work fine for the bluesy and jazzy stuff but the bass end is too mushy to be able to get a good funk tone.
Not taking any online orders.
fender =)

I do love strats for everything you mentioned but a tele might be just a little bit better...
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Last edited by backtothe70s at Mar 13, 2007,
^It's just oppinion, but I didn't think that LP sounded "funk" at all.
^kinda... I guess... I didn't really think the second clip sounded funk either but it did have the potential for funk. Listen to the low end in your clip with the LP. It's kinda mushy sounding. Great for classic rock bad for funk. Now listen to your strat clip. The low end is a lot more crisp. In the clip that you liked to it sounded like they had the tone pot 3/4 down and it sounded like they were using the middle or neck pickup, but you could still hear the tight low end. The key to getting the tight low end is the scale of the guitar. You want something with a 25.5 scale. Gibson typically use 24.75" scale but if you could find an LP style guitar with the long scale it would probably work pretty well for funk.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 13, 2007,
Quote by Symphonic Waves
I dunno, this has a nice funk rock sound, and it's a les paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg38G8IXCrU

thats not funk, that sounds like a theme song for magnum p.i.

but a good funk guitar is defiantly a strat.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

i would use tele or strat. but you should try out some guitars, and get the one you like best. you can play funk on a hollow body if you wanted to, it wouldnt be the traditional funk tone, but it might be really cool and be your own style.
Nobody makes left handed guitars.

Yea, I think I'll stay with the les paul like I planned. When that person said it possible to make a lp sound like a strat but not vice versa, I agree with him.
Quote by Symphonic Waves

Yea, I think I'll stay with the les paul like I planned. When that person said it possible to make a lp sound like a strat but not vice versa, I agree with him.

Wait, you play left-handed? That will definately lower your options unless you don't mind playing Hendrix-style. I'd go with a single-coiled guitar or a hollowbody for funk.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Symphonic Waves

Ehh, of course they do...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I'm gonna go with a Les Paul for now. From what I've seen, it can do a good bluesy/ jazz sound, so I'll go with that.

Later I'll get a strat, but for now, I'm content with the LP.

and while they do MrCarrot, have you seen the selection?
from what you seem to want, you want a strat, but you seem to be set ona LP style
as a fellow lefty, i say strat all the way for what you want
btw, you can make a strat sound just as much like a les paul as a les paul a strat
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
I'd love to see an example. I can find people playing every form of music with LP's on youtube. Not so much with the strat.
well, y'know strats are more versatile than les pauls, being routed for HSH and having a 5 way selector switch, and i tried out a les paul once in my short lifetime, and a strat, and the strat beats it for the tone you want.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
How does the strat handle effects? I'm guessing very well if Hendrix used it. If I can talk Guitar Center down to like, 350 or lower for a L/H Strat, I'd be content. Hell, I doubt anyone else is gonna wanna compete with me over a L/H anything.
do a hendrix with it! with a right handed guitar switched over it'll also make the whammy bar easier to use.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Nah, I hear that affects the sound when you turn the electronics upside down. I don't wanna deal with that if I don't have to.
yeah your definitely looking for a strat... actually a tele would be better and it can achieve that les paul tone and funk tone pretty easy actually
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by Symphonic Waves
Nah, I hear that affects the sound when you turn the electronics upside down. I don't wanna deal with that if I don't have to.

Huh????

Why would it?

Get the strat.

And to the person who said a LP can sound like a strat...no...just no.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I'm leaning more towards the LP now (I'm like a see saw) It was designed as a blues/ jazz guitar anyway, and funk rock is more how you play with those sounds.

And honestly, I don't want to do the beach boys, let's do the hula and surf sound that the strat does, that's too high and too clean, and it's not what I want.

Also, whenever I hear a strat try to do anything remotely heavy in the rock department is sounds forced. The les Paul, with a change of pups seems like it'd do excellent for the sound I want.

I think the strat is out, but what is different about the Telecaster?
the telecaster has more of a treble bite (critical for funk tone...lps are more bassy i guess)
and it sounds awesome distorted and clean it can go from ballad - to funk to ska - to even some hard core

id get the tele if i were you
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
The Tele is like a super twangy strat that only has 2 pickups. The neck pickup on a tele is shilded to reduce hum. It's got 43 awg wire wich gives it a more compressed tone (very funk) and the bridge pickup has that huge angle to give the hi end that really brassy tone and the magnets are all grounded to a brass plate which increases the inductance and also give the guitar it's Quack that it is so famouse for.
Nah, I don't like the strat. I only keep considering it cause people keep suggesting it but it really doesn't make the sound I want.