Hey all, just bought my first Electirc at the ripe old age of 39. Got a Schecter C-1 Classic, I love the way it looks and feels, but I'm having one issue at the moment I'm hoping someone can help me with.

My big E string seems to be hyper-sensitive. I'll be just goofing around on the smaller strings trying to do my lame Eddie Van Halen immitation, or just lightly plucking the smaller strings (not even touching the big E string) and it will start vibrating.

It's quite irritating because as you can imagine when it starts vibrating the amp picks it up. I have to touch the string to stop it vibrating and mute the tone/hum that it's producing.

Any thoughts on this? Is it the guitar? I still have a couple weeks if I want to return it (bought it used). Is it the setup, strings? I just have no clue!

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by KAYJAX at Mar 13, 2007,
it's called "sypathetic vibration" you hit a note that is the same tone as the string, it caulses it to viberate SP? you just have to mute it.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Is there any chance at all that you might be brushing the string with your pick/fingers? If not, it's likely what jb mentioned.

Also, just as a general note for guitar terms and stuff, most people never say "big" or "small" strings. Big is usually said as "low" (because they have a lower sound), and small is "high." Not trying to condescend you, just trying to help out
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
This is, annoyingly enough, actually normal. It's good to get in the habit of muting strings you aren't playing anyways, so you may as well start now In general, mute the low strings with your palm and the high strings with some left-hand finger and leave the one(s) in the middle (that you're playing) free to ring. It takes some pratice to get down but once you do it's second nature.
And yeah, here's a few more tips on muting I've accumulated, mostly with your left hand.

Say for example you're playing this note:

D|--------
A|---7----
E|--------

Say you want to stop the 6th string from ringing, place your finger on the 7th fret in a way that just the edge of it touches the E string. This'll be enough to keep the noise down. This can work on the strings around both sides of the 7th fret note. if you wanted to mute the D string, just angle your finger a little bit the other way to mute it. I just naturally got onto this method early (I *HATED* have extra strings ringing half the time), and now that I'm used to it, the majority of the time I could strum 2 or 3 extra strings with whatever I'm playing, and in all likelihood, I'd have automatically dampened most of them, which cleans up your sound a fair bit.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
as stated above, you just need to work on muting unplayed strings.
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
Sound great. thanks for the replies thus far everybody. Very helpful. I thought my guitar sucked or something. Good to know that this is normal.

What about tapping and hammer-on and pull-offs and stuff?

how can mute that Low string while playing Eddie Van Halen stuff, or do you just have to deal with it?

Thanks,
well, if you were playing strings like G, B, and high E, you could use your picking hand to mute strings E A and D
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
you will learn, there is no techniques. Beginners generally all sound horrible at first, with strings sounding out that shouldn't and notes not sounding right and the dreaded "plunk", but once you have been playing for a while, you naturally clear up your playing and you don't have these noises.

Also, if you really want to, you could buy a noisegate, such as the ISP Decimator or the Boss NS-2 to stop unwanted sound, but you still need to play clearly, it's not a miricle pedal
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
It is most likley what JB said. But it could also have something to do with the tuning pegs. That always used to happen to me on my electro-acoustic, the metal tuning pegs kept vibrating and making an annoying soudn while I was playing but I solved it by tightening the screws.
What about classical players? They don't rest their picking hand on the strings nor do they mute with their left hand's index...AFAIK.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
classical players usually use acoustic guitars, and the pickups aren't that sensitive..
^_^
Got the same guitar and mine does this as well - it's not an issue with your guitar but rather an issue with the physics of sound. You just need to develope good muting techniques.

You would use your picking hand's palm to mute while tapping. Also, if not in use, you can use your first finger (pointer) barred across the fret board to mute unwanted feeback.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer