So i got my guitar last week and was trying to get the switch from e to d but cus my fingers are so big i couldnt get them all in the one fret for d, so instead of using all three fingers i use only 2 to hit the d chord and it still rings out right. Am i only hindering myself?
Simply put, yes, you are. I did the exact same (mostly as a result of wanting to be able to play Island in the Sun by Weezer) very early on. I tried pretty hard to fix this for awhile, but simply couldn't get out of the habit, and even now I do it, and I've been playing 5 or so years. Basically, for some things that fingering works pretty well, but for a lot of things, the other way works much better. Just practice a lot until you get the other way, and you'll have more luck with other things in the future.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
i used to do that too. just keep trying to get it right, it might beneficial to be able to play it on two differnent ways anyway
Playing it both ways solidly is a good thing. It all depends on what chord is coming up next at what speed, etc. My fingers are pretty slender so I can't do it your way as well, but if I could there are probably some situations where it would be better to...
So how are you fingering the 'D' chord? Barring the 3 thin strings on the second fret and then using another to put your finger on the third fret of the B string? I'd get out of that habit, i'd seriously just take some time and learn it properly.

I think i finger the A chord wrong, i finger it like this:

e-0----
b-2----3rd finger
g-2----1st finger
d-2----2nd finger
a-0----
e-0----

Wierd, I know, they cross over!
Cort M800 - £320
Cort MR780FX - £220
Yeah you are,
It should be

e-0----
b-2----4th finger
g-2----3rd finger
d-2----2nd finger
a-0----
e-x----(A's don't use that note)

So that if you need to go to A Minor, you just tak out the fourth, like so:

e-0----
b-1----1st finger
g-2----3rd finger
d-2----2nd finger
a-0----
e-x----(A's don't use that note)

Edit: Oh threadstarter yeah you are it should be

e-2----2nd finger
b-3----3rd finger
g-2----1st finger
d-o----
a-x----
e-x----
CTHC
Works for me perfectly though to be honest, im blessed with being able to change chords very quickly though i suppose
Cort M800 - £320
Cort MR780FX - £220
Quote by sicpuppy

e-0----
b-2----3rd finger
g-2----1st finger
d-2----2nd finger
a-0----
e-0----

That's how I do it, it allows you to leave your first finger on the g string when playin E A or D. FIngering it the other way usually means more shuffling for your fingers
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by sicpuppy

e-0----
b-2----3rd finger
g-2----1st finger
d-2----2nd finger
a-0----
e-0----

That is the correct way to play it. That way you can switch from an A to a D without moving your first finger.

Quote by BreakingTheGirl
Yeah you are,

No, he isn't. If you want to argue with me ill get my college music instructor on you.

But there are many ways to play all chords. That is just the "official" one.
High as tits
Most of the people i know who play, play A using one finger!

Im just the don!
Cort M800 - £320
Cort MR780FX - £220
so some say its ok some say its not i'm gonna keep tryin both both but i kno i will end up using the two fingers